Excess Pollution light and possible faulty electronics

Grippo

Sep 14, 2010
Manchester
Hi everyone.

Apart from the dreaded leaking doors my 53 plate Leon is fine.

Over the past month a few warning lights have intermittently been coming on. Over the last week they are now always on.

avezenuz.jpg

One is the excessive pollution light.

Another more recent one (not on pic) is the EPC light. If I remember correctly this was something like the electronic pedal control.

The airbag light is also on.

I was also told this week my brake lights are out. both bulbs are fine and the fuse is ok. The middle top one is working fine but it seems to have a fair glow, or lit slightly when the brake is not pushed.

Can anyone please explain these warning lights. If they would be a big expensive job to fix. Due to the brake light issue I wondered if it was just an issue with the electronics.

I'm driving an 80 mile trip tomorrow and wondered if these should be of any concern for that trip. Car isn't due for MOT/Service until Feb 13

Thanks

Last edited:

Grippo

Sep 14, 2010
Manchester
ive done quite a lot of research on this but hard to tell the severity of it and if i should do this 80 mile trip or not.
Sounds like it could be a number of things. Is it worth disconnecting the battery for ten mins and seeing if this comes back on. Next question, how do I disconnect the battery.
Any kind sole able to diagnose this for free in South Manchester?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
The "excessive pollution" light can mean any number of things, not just pollution/emissions related. You'd need to have the car checked for fault codes and look up the codes on the web. The EPC light will come on when there is something which would affect the electronic pedal control, certain sensors being faulty can cause this. Again, whatever is causing that will show up in the fault codes.

Not sure about your brake lights, the brake pedal switch which controls these is a known weakness on these cars but I'd have thought none of them would work if it is broken.

Airbag light, chances are one of your airbags is disconnected or has been disconnected.

Won't help you in time for your trip today but get yourself a fault code reader, I've got one in my car at all times. A basic one should do the job and they can be had off ebay for about 20 quid. Search for "u281 vag code reader".

As for your 80-mile trip today, if it was me then I'd probably judge it on whether the car felt like it was running poorly or not. I'd put some petrol in it first too, if I was you ;)

Grippo

Sep 14, 2010
Manchester
Petrol is a good idea.

The car feels fine. Absolutely no difference so I'm gonna go ahead.

I'll get it checked out next week and post the results.

Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members