1.4 cupra questions

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
Hi guys looking for information on 1.4 cupras our son is looking to buy one just looking for common problems and faults and even if anyone has pictures of the problems /faults that would be great for when we view cars

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
Lol. As above. I own one & would not recommend. Either go for an earlier one or a later one but either way not 1.4. I have a love hate relationship with mine & it’s a spare spare spare car so not bothered when I break but there are far better cars out there for the money that won’t cause headaches (or at least not as many or ones causing you to be without it whilst major mechanical work is carried out). I bought one with full service history & 11k of receipts & still ended up with a total lemon. It’s almost sorted now but both engine & gearbox are newly built. Not the sort of expense a young driver nor the parents for that matter will want to absorb

Reactions: gb

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
CTHE is definitely better engine than CAVE. Think they upgraded pistons & oil jets, possibly maf too. There were design faults & quality control issues on the earlier version which became apparent on the higher HP cars using the engine. Newer ones less prone to fail but still highly strung IMHO. If he has his heart set on one then definitely get one with the CTHE engine. All years have the DQ200 7 speed dry box I believe so that will still be an issue but if not mapped then thats far less prone to fail than the engines

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
That leon FR has a EA211 engine, and so far, they do seem to be quite reliable. Maybe interestingly, VW Group UK, have recently come out and told the truth about how frequently the cam belts should replaced in these EA211 family of engines, so no longer are VW Group's UK owners being advised to get the cam belt replaced at 4 or 5 years or XX,000 miles, we were the only VW Group market operating cars in normal running conditions, to get that advice, VW Group's designers and other market's dealerships, said that these cam belts last a lot longer. That means that many UK VW Group customers have really been taken for a ride by VW UK!

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members