1.4 TSI - standard 140 vs 150 ACT

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Hi all

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find a definitive answer.

Has anyone had experience with the Leon in both 140 and 150 PS variants? Specifically the 1.4 TSI and not the 150 diesel...

I'm very interested to hear if you can A) notice the increase in power B) see the efficiency gains in real life as are listed (5 or 6 MPG).

Thanks!

gartner

Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find a definitive answer.

Has anyone had experience with the Leon in both 140 and 150 PS variants? Specifically the 1.4 TSI and not the 150 diesel...

I'm very interested to hear if you can A) notice the increase in power B) see the efficiency gains in real life as are listed (5 or 6 MPG).

Thanks!

I have test driven the 1.4 140 before ordering mine and I noticed no increase in power to be honest, pretty much the same feeling. Although I did drive the 150 two months later, but I really doubt one will notice it. It's pretty much all about the torque when you drive it and both of them do the same(250 nm).

But the fuel efficiency is noticeable when ACT kicks in. How you will be averaging ACT vs nonACT will depend on your drive style, but the consumption does drop when ACT is active.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Thanks for the feedback. I have a 140 version and just wondered, only getting 40 maybe 45 MPG, if I would have been better off paying a bit more for a 150.

I hadn't noticed the torque output is the same and like you say, that probably would make more difference accelerating in gear anyway.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
I have the 140 version. Most of my mileage is on empty Spanish motorways where the normal cruising speed is 80 mph. I got 36 mpg over the last 5000 miles. That is based on the actual consumption, not the computer which gives about 3 mpg more.

If I check the computer on a slower run where 60 mph is about the maximum and 40 mph typical then the consumption can be as good as 55mpg.

It just comes down to your driving profile. All I can say is that compared to my old 1.9 tdi Leon mk 1 it is only about 10% less efficient - and MUCH better to drive.

skk

Jul 14, 2014
I have a 103kw 1.4TSI and my average per 100km is 6.7L . As it is winter time and my ride has spike tires, the consumption has gone up. I expect to see it near 6L per 100km during summer time.

What can I say about the ACT: the more gizmos you have in a car, the more there is that can break down. You will never feel the 7 extra kilowats that take you 0.2 seconds faster to 100. ALso, the 103KW version should be cheaper, you might have more extras for the same money etc ( if I am correct then they sell the ACT engines with 2015 models, the 103 kw models should come with 2014 model year cars. Maybe you know, there was a slight price increase and change in spec list starting from 1-st of July 2014)

I think the real advantage of an ACT system is more noticeable during longer drives on the motorway, where it is possible to shut down two cylinders. I can't imagine any benefits while being stuck in a traffi jam or daily rides in the city.

Last but not least, it is hard, almost impossible to get back the money between 140 and 150 PS variants. Money saved from fuel just won´t compensate the difference.

BUT

If there is no price difference, the 150PS version is the one I would go for.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members