1.9tdi cambelt change

newbuyer17

Can anyone confirm which service/miles this needs to be done, and what the current going rate is at both Seat dealers and independents. It will be due its 4th service in the summer and will probably have done 50K miles by then too.

I'm thinking of swapping it for something else anyway and this might just make my mind up.
Thanks

Mak1

Usually 80,000 miles or 4 years (which ever comes 1st) on the 1.9 PD. Give SEAT a bell with your chassis number and they will be able to confirm the correct change for your vehicle.
Price depends on where you take it. Think the book time is about 3 hours but only takes a couple to do.

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
60k or 4 years whichever comes first...just been quoted about £300 at a local garage :(:(...but a mate has said he will fit it for £80 plus parts (about £110 including water pump) :):)

Mak1

Never had an issue with the water pumps on the PD's but worth checking while your in there.

sssstew

Editing your spelling
yep correct ensure a metal impeller water pump is fitted, the plastic ones are known to break. Its cheap to replace them and wise to do when the cambelt is being done as if it goes then you will need to take the cambelt off again to replace.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
yep correct ensure a metal impeller water pump is fitted, the plastic ones are known to break. Its cheap to replace them and wise to do when the cambelt is being done as if it goes then you will need to take the cambelt off again to replace.

This is where IMHO I dissagree.

VAG dont make a metal impellor water pump so you have to buy non genuine. A non gen water pump will give you 12 months warranty on that part. A genuine modified pump (not had a replacement pump fail myself as yet) comes with 24 months warranty on the part and any damage caused by the failing of that part.

Mak1

I have seen cases where G12+ coolant likes the eat the metal impeller away, hence why VWG do not make impellers out of metal.
I have worked on 100's of the PD's and have done very few water pumps (issue seemed to effect the 20vt most).

newbuyer17

Thanks Guys. Dealer has quoted me about £350, but also told me it was only recommended at 4 years. Not quite sure what that means. Any idea how many people get it down and how many dont, and would it still be classed as FSH?
I dont normally skimp on doing stuff, but at the same time have founnd that servicing seems to have gone through the roof recently, at both main dealers and independents. Anyone know the repair costs if one did go?

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Just had mine done on a PD130 BLT Engine, £235, cambelt, tensioner, £45 extra for waterpump and obviously the coolant included, inc VAT.

£270 job done, so a little discount must have been applied.

Midland VW, 60k or 4 years.

Mine is 56 plate, on 56k miles.

Jimski

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
This is where IMHO I dissagree.

VAG dont make a metal impellor water pump so you have to buy non genuine. A non gen water pump will give you 12 months warranty on that part. A genuine modified pump (not had a replacement pump fail myself as yet) comes with 24 months warranty on the part and any damage caused by the failing of that part.

What do you mean by "GENUINE MODIFIED" ????

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Got mine changed yesterday by a mate..... cost £125 for Timing belt kit, water pump and 2 litres of antifreeze, and £80 labour....£205 ALL IN !!!!!! :):)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.