1st and 2nd dead?

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Hey guys,

Gave my Leon the beans tonight from a stand still, didn't have the clutch fully depressed as my seat had been moved from someone else driving and wasn't sat correctly, was booting in 1st, went for second, clutch wasn't all the way down and 2nd crunched badly, came to a stop, tried for first, it went in with a lot of resistance, now going into 1st, changing 1st to 2nd and going from 1st to reverse all create resistance, rest of the box is fine, whats the worst case scenario guys? :(

thanks,
Danny.

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Yeah, although if I'm rolling and go for 1st for say like a speed bump, it goes in like it does when am stood still, surely if they were shot it wouldn't let it go in?
There is also a creaking noise when i pull it out of first when am stood still :(

Danny.

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
If all other gears are ok then its probs your syncro away from 1st to 2nd, better to get it repaired now, my bro just got his done for his modded fiesta st at 39000 miles, wots ur mileage mate?

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
If all other gears are ok then its probs your syncro away from 1st to 2nd, better to get it repaired now, my bro just got his done for his modded fiesta st at 39000 miles, wots ur mileage mate?

Is it cheap to do? I'm gonna take it to Seat in the morning, dont want them fobbing me off with a new gearbox if it's fine! all other 5 gears including reverse slip in like a dream.
Mileage just clocked 30k mate :)

Danny.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
I think you might be in for a fright if you take it to seat. this is the kind of job i would be giving to a mechanic as a "homer". I think you may be kicking the arse out of a grand if you get seat to do it mate, thats if it is the syncro... sounds very like it though:headhurt:

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Check that you've not dropped something into the linkage ontop of the gearbox first

Where do you mean Mork? Does the gator need to come out or is it an under-car job for it?
Yeah, well am gonna take it to Seat and see what they say, I atleast need it diagnosing first before I do go anywhere else.

Thanks for the helps guys,
Danny.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
open bonnet, gearbox on the right side - two sliding cables above it - make sure they're all clear

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
open bonnet, gearbox on the right side - two sliding cables above it - make sure they're all clear

Ok, cheers buddy :) I'll have a look soon, that would be the more logical explanation as there is like a plastic creaking noise from the 1st gear, I thought I would of had more problems if the syncro had gone?

Danny.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
shifter.jpg

Make sure all this 'stuff' is clear of things that may have dropped into it

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
shifter.jpg

Make sure all this 'stuff' is clear of things that may have dropped into it

Thanks a lot Mork, great help as always :)
I'll have a check in abit, just seems abit funny that things would fall into it just after I crunched a gear at high revs? Hope it's this though, the cheap option :)

Cheers guys,
Danny.

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
It would be odd, but if it saves a trip to the dealer I figured it might be worth a 30s check

Mork, is that picture from a TFSI or TDI, as on my PD170 the airbox covers up where I need to be looking and other then yanking the whole thing off the rubber bungs, it's a pain to do lol, I can see where I need to be but just can't get to it due to the airbox.

Danny.

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
That's a picture of the same gearbox, but on another Leon.

Can you see under it with a torch?

Nope, you can see the start of those springs and then it's totally covered by the airbox, the only way to properly get it would be to take it off the rubber bungs, which I've done before and they're a pain in the arse to get back on!

Danny.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.