2.0 TDi - smoke after chipping

TonyC

Just got back from a weeks holiday - took the Altea & much as I enjoy driving it, it could do with a bit more oomph.

I'm considering getting it chipped, but the car is pretty smokey when you boot it & I'm worried that will get worse.

My other car has been chipped & the improvement in performance has been phenomenal. The mpg has also improved slightly, but it's fitted with a particulate filter, so there is no smoke at all.

I notice all VAG cars with the 170bhp version of the 2.0 TDi have particulate filters as standard - so I'm guessing they'd be pretty smokey without

Has anyone done it & please could they comment on the smokiness !

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Just got back from a weeks holiday - took the Altea & much as I enjoy driving it, it could do with a bit more oomph.

I'm considering getting it chipped, but the car is pretty smokey when you boot it & I'm worried that will get worse.

I notice all VAG cars with the 170bhp version of the 2.0 TDi have particulate filters as standard - so I'm guessing they'd be pretty smokey without

Has anyone done it & please could they comment on the smokiness !

I believe ALL diesels smoke when booted - even the BMW's, think its due to the lag in turbo spool up particular filter or not.
Had a chip upgrade once and the car went like stink but was very sooty even after tweeking, some of the Skoda boys have had simlar problems don't know if they managed to sort the problem out though???

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Im ny experience there are two conditions that produce smoke:

1) When you're trying to accelerate before the turbo has spooled up, ECU seems to overfuel to get the turbo spinning. If you're in a low gear you'll hardly notice because the revs will increase quickly. If in a high gear, and the engine takes a while for the revs to rise and the turbo to spool, you can get clouds of the stuff. (This characteristic can be used to soot following drivers without accelerating should you desire...)

2) Full bore acceleration at higher RPM. I found on the Ibiza that a better intake and filter reduced smoke in these circumstances, as did using BP Ultimate.

TBH I couldn't care less how much my car smokes, I'm certainly not paying a fortune on Ultimate to cure it !

TonyC

My wife's followed my car in the Altea & it does not produce even the slightest puff of smoke - even full throttle from lower engine speeds. The particulate filter is very effective - in fact the exhaust still looks brand new, with shiny metal visible on the inside, rather than the "caked in soot" Altea exhaust.

I know the older 1.9's could get very smokey when tuned (closer to the 200 bhp mark), so I wondered whether the 2.0 was the same.

I must be getting old, but I find the cloud of smoke a bit embarrassing - reminds me of my Cortina days :redface:

loadswine

loadswine
Mine has had a remap (Altea 2.0 TDi) and it smokes less than it did when stock.
Nearly all the VAG 2.0 TDis I have seen are smokey to some extent.
If you want less smoke and more fun give Celtic Tuning a call and I am sure you'll be as pleased as I am with mine.

bellautos

Ive seen a few of the new 2.0L TDI,s smoking as standard.

Ive also had a good chat to my local VW deaers ( who i know very well ) and they say they as well have many problems with them smoking as standard especialy when in the new passat.

Some smoke very little some smoke more.

P-torque.co.uk

Mar 30, 2006
Wolverhampton
www.p-torque.co.uk
I have to say that in general a good map can reduce smoking. (Only on cars that smoke a fair bit as standard though)

A re-map is of course mainly done for power, however, it is also to fine tune the running characterisics of a car.

Neither the older 1.9 TDI's or newer VAG diesels should smoke too much when tuned, unless a hard map has been programmed.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.