2 week ownership thoughts

WMS_MK421

Aug 2, 2021
So I've had my 1.5 FR(130) just over two weeks now and here's my thoughts on the Mk4 Vs Mk3 1.2 I owned for 8 years from new.
Looks - Personal I know, but I love it and glad I got it in Nevada White as harder to spot swirl marks. The seats though we're definitely better in Mk3, Mk4 feel softer and after a few hours behind the wheel starting to get back ache and numb bum.
Build quality - not a huge step up from the 3rd gen and road noise seems louder at motorway speed. Am on Bridgestone Touranza T005 which are have a low dB so more likely cost cutting by Seat with sound dampening?
Infotainment - Mmm where do I start? If it worked flawlessly I could forgive the lack of physical controls but there are far too many flaws. Was using Android Auto to get to Devon and partway through the journey the while screen went blank with no sound, nothing. Unplugged and turned off and back on but nothing. Drove another 25 miles to next services where I could turn off car and restart which it did fine but doesn't inspire confidence. I'm an early build car with early software but unsure whether I can upgrade to latest version. Had other issues like not remembering phone, sound cutting out and have to switch car back on and off.
Sat/Nav - takes ages to start and not even close to accurate so end up using Google Maps through Android Auto.
Engine/mpg - I'm disappointed with this as the 1.2 was great and pulled above its weight. There just feel so many flat spots and don't feel confident overtaking, really have to work the gears hard to get anywhere. However, on the plus side is fuel economy. Did a Manchester to Devon run 6 hours with car fully loaded and roof box. With a combination of motorway start/stop traffic jams and B roads still managed mid 50s in Normal mode and Sport mode (for the country roads).
Safety Systems - Lane assistance feels like an accident waiting to happen. I now turn this off every time I get in the car. Never had a an accident in over 20 years but the systems have pulled me towards oncoming traffic and cannot deal with UK roads.
Drive Experience - despite the shortcomings of the engine I do love the way it's planted and turns into corners. I was already happy with the previous gens drive and this one tops that again.
In summary - If some of the flaws could be sorted with software updates I would happily buy again but in all honesty I don't think I will be keeping this one for 7 years.

Reactions: Philk and tsofras

Deleted member 123864

Instead of switching the car on and off when you've infotainment / android auto problems, just press and hold the power button until the Seat logo appears. Should be no need to unplug the phone at all.

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
So I've had my 1.5 FR(130) just over two weeks now and here's my thoughts on the Mk4 Vs Mk3 1.2 I owned for 8 years from new.
Looks - Personal I know, but I love it and glad I got it in Nevada White as harder to spot swirl marks. The seats though we're definitely better in Mk3, Mk4 feel softer and after a few hours behind the wheel starting to get back ache and numb bum.
Build quality - not a huge step up from the 3rd gen and road noise seems louder at motorway speed. Am on Bridgestone Touranza T005 which are have a low dB so more likely cost cutting by Seat with sound dampening?
Infotainment - Mmm where do I start? If it worked flawlessly I could forgive the lack of physical controls but there are far too many flaws. Was using Android Auto to get to Devon and partway through the journey the while screen went blank with no sound, nothing. Unplugged and turned off and back on but nothing. Drove another 25 miles to next services where I could turn off car and restart which it did fine but doesn't inspire confidence. I'm an early build car with early software but unsure whether I can upgrade to latest version. Had other issues like not remembering phone, sound cutting out and have to switch car back on and off.
Sat/Nav - takes ages to start and not even close to accurate so end up using Google Maps through Android Auto.
Engine/mpg - I'm disappointed with this as the 1.2 was great and pulled above its weight. There just feel so many flat spots and don't feel confident overtaking, really have to work the gears hard to get anywhere. However, on the plus side is fuel economy. Did a Manchester to Devon run 6 hours with car fully loaded and roof box. With a combination of motorway start/stop traffic jams and B roads still managed mid 50s in Normal mode and Sport mode (for the country roads).
Safety Systems - Lane assistance feels like an accident waiting to happen. I now turn this off every time I get in the car. Never had a an accident in over 20 years but the systems have pulled me towards oncoming traffic and cannot deal with UK roads.
Drive Experience - despite the shortcomings of the engine I do love the way it's planted and turns into corners. I was already happy with the previous gens drive and this one tops that again.
In summary - If some of the flaws could be sorted with software updates I would happily buy again but in all honesty I don't think I will be keeping this one for 7 years.
A lot of what you say resonates with us. We too moved from an MK3 FR (150 in our case) to an MK4 FR (150). The seats definitely feel worse (less supportive despite the presence of lumbar adjustment). The lane assist is hopeless on 40mph country roads near where we live. May be they cut the hedges more frequently in Spain & Germany but, over here, staying closer to the centre line to avoid the left hand side of the car being scratched by summer hedge growth is an invitation for the wheel to continually tug to the left. Absolutely hopeless. Why can we not adjust the settings so that it only comes on above, say, 50mph. I think it's a useful aid on motorway journeys (and reinforces the need to indicate prior to changing lanes), but for everything else it feels more dangerous than not having it at all. We also immensely dislike the absence of physical heater controls and, with regards to the "haptic" controls for heat and volume, these often get triggered when fumbling to find something on the screen with the left hand. With the extensive testing the cars undertake on the continent with left hand drive vehicles, the infotainment system will be operated by the driver's right hand (which is then far easier if you're right-handed). On UK roads, most people will be attempting to operate the system with their non-dominant hand). Why can't they realise this is much more difficult.

Reactions: WMS_MK421

WMS_MK421

Aug 2, 2021
A lot of what you say resonates with us. We too moved from an MK3 FR (150 in our case) to an MK4 FR (150). The seats definitely feel worse (less supportive despite the presence of lumbar adjustment). The lane assist is hopeless on 40mph country roads near where we live. May be they cut the hedges more frequently in Spain & Germany but, over here, staying closer to the centre line to avoid the left hand side of the car being scratched by summer hedge growth is an invitation for the wheel to continually tug to the left. Absolutely hopeless. Why can we not adjust the settings so that it only comes on above, say, 50mph. I think it's a useful aid on motorway journeys (and reinforces the need to indicate prior to changing lanes), but for everything else it feels more dangerous than not having it at all. We also immensely dislike the absence of physical heater controls and, with regards to the "haptic" controls for heat and volume, these often get triggered when fumbling to find something on the screen with the left hand. With the extensive testing the cars undertake on the continent with left hand drive vehicles, the infotainment system will be operated by the driver's right hand (which is then far easier if you're right-handed). On UK roads, most people will be attempting to operate the system with their non-dominant hand). Why can't they realise this is much more difficult.
Absolutely agree with comment. Feels like one step forward two steps back in some regards. At the moment I've still got the new car feeling but once that wears off I could be left with something that might be heard to live with. We really shouldn't have two of the main car features (infotainment and lane assistance) cause more hassle than they are worth. After all aren't they included to make the car easier to drive / safe to use?

Philk

Nov 19, 2020
Absolutely agree with comment. Feels like one step forward two steps back in some regards. At the moment I've still got the new car feeling but once that wears off I could be left with something that might be heard to live with. We really shouldn't have two of the main car features (infotainment and lane assistance) cause more hassle than they are worth. After all aren't they included to make the car easier to drive / safe to use?
We have provided feedback to the dealership and I would suggest you should do so too. At the end of the day, for this to change, it requires feedback from as many customers as possible so that Seat can feedback that these things are really making customers unhappy. You are not alone. This affects VW Golf Mark 8 owners too (plus other models across the VAG group). It all comes down to their new MIB3 system being rolled out across the group (your previous Leon FR had MIB2)

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Under EU legislation, Lane Assist is one of those nannying features that is to become mandatory on all new cars sold in Europe and the UK will no doubt follow the EU legislation. Manufacturers are taking the opportunity to fit Lane Assist / Lane Departure technology as and when new models are launched ahead of the mandatory fitting date.

We also have speed limiters and other ‘useful aids’ to look forward to…………🤔

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.