2004 Seat Ibiza Stalling at low rpms (Fuel/air mixture problem?)

Jan 9, 2024
The car was stalling at low RPMs while I was driving suddenly.

I pulled over, and now the engine only stays on when you have high revs and idles very poorly.

the rev counter also bounces when you hold the throttle at one position.

I bought the car as a project as the body was rough but didn't know I was going to run into these issues.

Things I have done:

Checked the throttle body and air intake - seems fine

Cleaned the map sensor, no effect.

There was a blown fuse for the lamda probe - replaced it and its still fine

Unplug the map sensor - idles insanely rough and then starts stalling/going back to how it was after a few minutes the first time and then back to the same behavior as described above.

Unplug the o2 Sensors - this caused the engine to actually turn over and idle, albeit it very poorly, but not as bad as unplugging the map. lasted a lot longer than unplugging the map sensor, but then when you rev it up, when it comes back down to idle it sputters and stalls again. However I can get it to idle poorly more than just unplugging the map sensor. all dash lights off as there's no sensors plugged in.

Now the car owes me very little money and I don't want to put much into it just in case I end up scrapping it afterwards.

My take away is that although it runs a bit better "in worst case" scenario when the sensors are unplugged, it still ends up stalling out and not idling, suggesting that the sensors are not actually the issue, but I guess it does show that its a fuel/air mixture problem. (my thinking is that unplugging the sensors = worst case = more fuel = runs better but still not well).

what would be the next thing you would check/replace?

Things I've not looked at are the fuel pump (not really sure how to diagnose that - defo tics over when ignitions and and clearly pumps enough fuel at high revs and not sure a fuel pump would cause bouncing on the rev counter? )

Not done anything with the spark plugs as again, surely there would be issues at over revs as well?

Heres a video where I've unplugged both o2 sensors - this is where it was idiling really rough. Doesn't come accross to well through the mic, but it sounded like it was chugging/about to stall, but wasn't as rough as it was when we unplugged the Map sensor. If the sensors were plugged in, and you tried turning it on with a few revs, its basically the last 10 seconds - wouldn't idle at all.

VIDEO LINK: https://youtube.com/shorts/FUiqsKhmlI8

When I did this I noticed that someone has already been down that way and has been messing with some of the cabling, also one of the fuel lines and the fuel filter looks like it was recently replaced. I assume someone had the car, decided it was too much hassle and then PXed it for a different car and now I'm stuck with it and feeling slightly out of my depth now. I was hoping to just be working of cosmetics/springs/big stuff you can unbolt and bolt back on - not electrics and fuel systems. woops.

thanks for all your help!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.