Is Seat's Discretion Worth Much ??

Jagger

Feb 24, 2024
So, still got to wait another 2.5 months of 4 months until the delivery date of my new Ibiza Xcellence Lux. I didn't realise I could get so impatient. Think it is mainly because at 70 years old I don’t get many thrills these days. Wish I had some hair to pull out. I'm a bit fearful that the wait maybe even longer.

Anyway, been spending quite a bit of time looking at peoples woes and thrills on this forum and checking out information on Seat website.

Just looked at the small print of the Roadside Assist / Breakdown. Quite a few item will only be carried out it seems “”Subject to Seat’s Discretion””. I just do not understand why these items cannot be defined as to whether they will be honoured or not. In particular of concern:

"Exclusion 28. - In relation to any Accidents or customer induced faults (including flat battery due to user error, running out of fuel, use of incorrect fuel; and tyre defects due to error e.g. driving over potholes/kerbs, or failure to maintain correct tyre pressures) unless We elect in Our absolute discretion to do so". Also mis-fuelling/running out of fuel and broken/lost keys are also subject to Seat’s “discretion”.

So over the past 40 years or so my wife / I have ‘broken down’ a number of times. From what I can recall, this has been at least 7 times for driving over potholes (or moon craters) in the road and 2 times when my wife left the lights on for ages without the engine running (when she was on the phone would you believe). I have not had any other failures thankfully.

I can change a wheel (I am getting a spare wheel – I think it is a ridiculous these are not standard) and I would hopefully be able to get a jump start from someone (with my leads) should I have a battery fault. I cannot envisage running out of fuel but I guess I could loose the keys.

My wife though could not sort any of these out and it looks as though she may remain stranded if I was not around.

So, just wondering, has anyone fallen foul of Seat’s “discretion”. Thinking it may be worth my while for piece of mind continuing with my £63 Autoaid cover which it would appear would honour these items, without any discretion.

Reactions: jcbmally

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Had a similar situation with dealer warranty after I bought this second hand Leon. The timing chain was faulty, but hadn’t completely failed to the point the engine blew up. I told em it was faulty. They said cuz it hasn’t completely failed, we won’t fix it. And, they said, now that you know it’s faulty, if you don’t fix it and it does fail to the point the engine goes boom, we won’t fix that cuz you were aware of the issue. Neglect from my part… So had to get it fixed myself. Warranties look amazing from the outside, but when **** actually goes hits the fan, they get out of helping based on technicalities.

Jagger

Feb 24, 2024
That was pretty tough H Rafiq. Some companies will try to wriggle out of their responsibilities. Seems an unfair attitude particularly trying to put responsibily on you like that. Many items are faulty but have not failed fully (all intermittent faults for example).

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Had a similar situation with dealer warranty after I bought this second hand Leon. The timing chain was faulty, but hadn’t completely failed to the point the engine blew up. I told em it was faulty. They said cuz it hasn’t completely failed, we won’t fix it. And, they said, now that you know it’s faulty, if you don’t fix it and it does fail to the point the engine goes boom, we won’t fix that cuz you were aware of the issue. Neglect from my part… So had to get it fixed myself. Warranties look amazing from the outside, but when **** actually goes hits the fan, they get out of helping based on technicalities.
You should have taken that further. A “fault” is what it is, if fixing a faulty item can rectify a potential bigger problem then it is covered. They won’t want to cover the labour cost for a big job like that and they have turned it on you. I’d try the Motor Ombudsman and report there behaviour and see what can be done retrospectively.

Jagger

Feb 24, 2024
Yes JCBMally I would agree. No harm in trying and won't cost anything to do that. It may be down to what is stated in the small print but that anyway may be unfair conditions and unlawful.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Unfortunately many extended warranties are Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) and therefore by definition the item has to 'fail' either mechanically or electrically.

Jagger

Feb 24, 2024
I did not realise that. It certainly pays to read all the small print on an agreement. Problem is that is so time consuming and boring. Also words can be complicated and also interpretation of the words clouded by what you think you are agreeing to. But of course you are still covered for a period of time by consumer rights and the fact that anything sold must be suitable for purpose. But that is time limited.

Reactions: H Rafiq and Yern

GORDYDJ

Mar 9, 2024
If they told you the car had no fault. And you find out it has. Then the car is not as described. And therefore whether there's a warranty in place or not would be irrelevant as your statutory rights would take precedence.