2010 Leon FR boot lock issue

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
Afternoon all. Just gone to open my boot on my 2010 Leon FR and it’s not opening but making a strange noise from the motor. Not sure if I can upload a video. I’ll try YouTube. Is it an easy fix or needing a replacement latch/motor?

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
Yea could be either, you might get lucky and just giving the motor a smack will free it off.
I’ll try and get it off in the morning then weather permitting. Can open it from inside in the meantime but it’s a pain and defeats the object of having a boot latch

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Sounds from your video like it's the worm gear failure that's common on these.

Will need a new latch mechanism or just the gear replacement if you're feeling confident about a DIY repair!

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
Hey Fipsy, mine did that in april this year and I replaced the mechanism myself. Was an easy straight forward replacement, I got the part number from Seat Direct Parts and ordered one else where due to the cost, literally took 10-15mins tops from taking the plastics off, unscrewing and disconnecting the plug on the original, swapping it out for the new one and testing then putting the boot back together. If I recall correctly it was a 20 or a 25 Torx bit for the two holding the mechanism in place! :)

I would honestly give it a whirl yourself save having to pay labour costs to fit it unless you don't want to like, albeit if you want to I can give you the link to the one I purchased unless you've already sorted it by now?

--Lee

Reactions: Fipsy

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
Hey Fipsy, mine did that in april this year and I replaced the mechanism myself. Was an easy straight forward replacement, I got the part number from Seat Direct Parts and ordered one else where due to the cost, literally took 10-15mins tops from taking the plastics off, unscrewing and disconnecting the plug on the original, swapping it out for the new one and testing then putting the boot back together. If I recall correctly it was a 20 or a 25 Torx bit for the two holding the mechanism in place! :)

I would honestly give it a whirl yourself save having to pay labour costs to fit it unless you don't want to like, albeit if you want to I can give you the link to the one I purchased unless you've already sorted it by now?

--Lee
Thanks mate. New part arrived yesterday so fitting it tomorrow morning. Of all the tools I have, ironically the one I need I don’t have haha. Picking one up in the morning so it’ll be sorted then. Yeah looks really easy to swap over. Cheers for the reply mate

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
No worries mate glad you got the new part, keep us posted on how you get on with it and yeah that's a bummer but at least you will have one on hand for life then haha! Torx are handy to keep :)

--Lee

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
Apologies for the late reply but I’ve been flat out at work and home. Fitted the part easily which was good. Only issue I have is I have to kinda slam the boot to get it to latch properly. Hoping it’s just a slight adjustment needed. If not I guess you get what you pay for haha. Was less than £20 so can’t grumble really.

Israar

Dec 8, 2014
Dudley
No need to apologise mate, I feel you with being flat out! :)

Aye it is a nice easy little fix to do, I'm a little surprised you had to slam it to latch properly though, mines pretty much same as how it has always been, gentle I would say. I didn't pay much more than you, I paid about £26~ but I had to cut some of the plastic shroud on mine so it would fit with the plastic boot shroud, other than that it was a straight swap, plug and go :)

--Lee

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
I didn’t have to cut but it was a bit fiddly to get it to sit under the boot. Maybe that’s my issue 😁. I’ll have a look on my days off this week. But after a drive though so it’s nice and warm in the car 🤣

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
Not had chance yet mate with working all hours. Off now for a few days so I’ll try and get it sorted

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.