2011 Leon DSG noise (maybe AC related??)

spoonflames

Mar 17, 2013
Preston
Hiya all,

Bit if a weird one this, as in hard to describe, but i have a noise coming from the right side of the engine, although i can hear it mainly inside the cabin and hardly at all when i pop the bonnet!

When the car is ticking over and i'm at idle i dont hear it.
If i put the car in D and coast forward it starts, i can also hear it at speed. The intensity and volume of the noise does not increase with speed
The best way to describe it would be a like a gaseous or howling noise. its pitch is constant and the volume is low, but enough for me to hear it. Maybe described as a refridgerator type noise ?? Could also sound a bit like a rough wheel on a pulley ?? The last time i heard something similar it was a bearing gone. But the car is only 18 months old at the moment

If i am stationary and i use the climate control on auto i can sometimes hear it, which makes me think it could also be A/C related? Does the A/C have bearings? Or belts ?

I took it to SEAT and due to the wind, weather, and tyre noise it was drowned out. Sods law. So the mechanic had nothing to go on.

Any ideas what it may be?
Thanks everyone

spoonflames

Mar 17, 2013
Preston
I forgot to mention, sometimes if i accelerate hard and then lift off the pedal quickly, i can hear the noise much louder with a bit of a grind or slipping style noise? this is very hard to replicate and happened only a few times when i was trying to get the car to make the noise so someone else would believe me :)

neilpaul89

Sep 8, 2009
When you say right side of the engine is that from inside the car or looking at the engine from the front?

I recently had my air conditioning compressor replaced as the clutch bearing went. That started as a faint noise that was barely noticeable and progressed into an awful squeal as the clutch plate eventually separated from the A/C compressor pulley. It's a common problem on the VAG 2.0 tdi engines and an upgraded part has been released to address the issue.

The A/C compressor pulley is the lower pulley closest to the front of the car. I would shine a torch on it to check the clutch plate isn't loose, or the bolt in the centre isn't loose (can only check the bolt from under the car really). Also, if you can, get someone to sit in the car with the engine running and the A/C off, then, whilst inspecting the A/C pulley, get them to turn the A/C on and see if there is a noticeable noise coming from it.

Hope this helps

Neil

spoonflames

Mar 17, 2013
Preston
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry i didn't make it clear, from sitting in the car with the steering wheel infront of me its actually the LEFT side of the engine bay i am thinking of.

The faint noise you experienced how would you describe it if you could?

I'll certainly try to have a look with a torch, i'm not too great with identifying parts under the bonnet but will give it a try

Thanks

neilpaul89

Sep 8, 2009
The A/C compressor pulley is located on the right hand side of the engine if facing the steering wheel inside the car, so that probably rules that out. Although it may be worth a check, noises are often difficult to pin point. The noise was a faint squeal, hard to describe, that appeared randomly every now and then at first, then became constant.

I'm stumped as to what it could be if it is coming from the opposite side of the engine bay though?

Mar 25, 2008
All DSG's I've had have made a slight noise when moving slowly.

Kind of like a pattering noise.

Dec 28, 2011
Cairo, Egypt
I wouldn't worry about it, mate. If you want to be absolutely sure, though, then go have the car diagnosed at any garage with a VAG-COM or at the service center.

Mark D

Apr 5, 2013
Leicester
If its under warranty dont spend a penny on it get it back to seat and test it in the garage (no outside noises) if it happens stationary. If the AC makes it worse try it when with the seat tech. turn the wheel full lock see if pressure makes it worse or under small revs etc. Im sure seat would have plugged it into ODIS or VAS or which ever software they currently use for fault codes...

fa11ows

Leon FR TFSi
Feb 10, 2011
Derbyshire
After recently getting a refund for a faulty DSG box I'd agree and go to seat ASAP...if its on record that you asked for it to be checked it gives you better cover if it fails later on in life

spoonflames

Mar 17, 2013
Preston
Thanks for all the replies.

Although i can sometimes get it to be noisey at idle, I found i can reproduce the noise at speed of 10-15mph with the A/C on far easier. I set it to 24C and use Auto mode. My friend who sat with me actually described it as 'Wind noise' which is just another way to think of it, as its just such an unusual noise to accurately describe. Also i tried wheel on full lock which didn't change anything. I also realised its coming more central from the engine bay rather than left or right. It's REALLY bugging me now.

I also found that if at 10mph or so i power on for 2-3 seconds and lift off it's much louder, well when i say much louder, you can actually hear it rather than having to really really listen out for it

Should i just book it in then ? Or do i really need to prove to the mechanic on the day that he can hear something before looking at it?

p.s car is 19 months old so warranty applies ?

Last edited:

Mark D

Apr 5, 2013
Leicester
Force the seat dealer and be with them when they test it to explain further otherwise you will be yoyoing back and forth

spoonflames

Mar 17, 2013
Preston
"No fault found. This is normal for your car"
It didn't do this when i bought it and certainly not going to put up with it. I really don't want to sell it

Mark D

Apr 5, 2013
Leicester
Find another dealer maybe? some are pains some want the word as claim money back for warranty.
Make sure they are not busy and do actually look into it

fa11ows

Leon FR TFSi
Feb 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Ring Seat UK like I did. They will get the dealership to send off vis reports back to Seat confirming what they have done etc. As I said earlier, I got a refund at 3 months of ownership so it can happen

fa11ows

Leon FR TFSi
Feb 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Sale of goods act 1979 states of satisfactory quality for a reasonable length of time. Within 3 months I knew they had no choice other than repair the dsg (which they didn't want to do as £4250!) or replacement vehicle which they couldn't locate either. Only option left was to refund me in full. Seat UK will help make sure the dealers are doing everything to the book etc

toot

Jan 14, 2010
Kalmar, Sweden
Read in a swedish newspaper a while ago that it´s quite common with faults on the dsg gearbox. But nor the car or the insurance companies would like to talk about it as it would be very expencive for them to fix all the gearboxes.
-Let them drive the car till the gearbox crash and hope the warranty have expired -kinda feeling about it.

So just don´t take their "No fault found. This is normal for your car" talk..

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members