2013 1.4 SC / blown head gasket, or not..?

Matthew

Oct 17, 2017
Hi

Hoping someone can give me an idea of what's going on with my 2013 Ibiza 1.4 Toca SC... I've got it down to gremlins as it stands.

A few days ago around 60 miles into a 90 mile round trip (mostly motorway driving) I experienced a plume of thick white fog from the rear of my car. At this stage there were no warning lights, buzzers etc. Pulled over on the A1 and called roadside assistance, for them to diagnose a blown head gasket and tow me home.

Fast forward a couple of days and I've arranged for long-term family mechanic to look at the car, but at this stage there is no sign of the problem whatsoever. No smoke or fog, coolant is still at the correct level, oil looks fine (kinda like chocolate syrup) and there is zero indication there was ever anything wrong with the car. So much so, our mechanic was comfortable driving it around 15 miles to his workshop, where he also reported there were no faults along the way.

Once at the garage they did pressure and sniff test to name but a few, yet to no avail as the car passed everything with flying colours. Leaving it on idle yielded no result, and the fault remains a mystery. The thinking at this stage was to flush the coolant and give the system a ceramic seal.

The car was returned to me and showed no problems, yet again, for the next day or so. I drove it during this period a 140 mile airport run without a hitch, checking coolant and oil before, during and after just to be safe.

Then we come to this morning - I drive a mere five miles to my girlfriends house and the coolant light comes on. Naturally, I checked the reservoir and it was pretty much dry! All but the last of my coolant disappearing down the pipework. I called back my mechanic and he said not to worry - as the system had been fully flushed the day before, just to top it up with deionised water and keep an eye on things for now.

I did exactly that, giving it around 600ml to MAX. Five miles back in the other direction and the coolant light comes on again. I checked, and it was about halfway between MIN and the base of the reservoir. I've topped it up again with around 500ml and now it sits on the driveway cooling down.

Bear in mind all the while this is going on, coolant temp guage sticks solid at 90 and no other issues arise.

So here's where I'm at - does it seem like there is indeed a fault with the head gasket which slipped by garage testing somehow? Or is there another explanation for the sudden plume of fog a few days ago, then apparent absence of any fault 48 hours ago, to a different issue entirely throughout today?

Thanks for any advice or input you might have. Just to note, the mechanic is a genuine, sound guy who goes out of his way to accommodate myself and my family. The car is a '63 reg Ibiza Toca SC 1.4L petrol.

First time poster - Matt

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I can't give you much help, though having an Ibiza, or my daughter has, with that engine, a late 2009 car, I can only say that the cooling system on that engine is notorious for being difficult to get the air out of it when the system has been drained, in fact the correct way seems to be to remove the engine coolant sensor and fill the coolant system until coolant flows freely without bubbles from the hole opened up by removing the engine coolant temperature sensor, then while continuing to keep filling it back up refit the engine coolant temperature and fill to the correct level. I did not know that and found that the heater would work > not work > work > not work, this went on for a few days, I was guessing that the air would get purged out into the expansion bottle, but it never did - so I followed the method I've said and it was okay.

Now, I don't remember ever the coolant level ever dropping dramatically, just a few inches, twice, so that might not have been your problem, I don't suppose that you checked the heater performance during this latest period after the coolant was changed, and if so, was it working as expected?

Matthew

Oct 17, 2017
I can't give you much help, though having an Ibiza, or my daughter has, with that engine, a late 2009 car, I can only say that the cooling system on that engine is notorious for being difficult to get the air out of it when the system has been drained, in fact the correct way seems to be to remove the engine coolant sensor and fill the coolant system until coolant flows freely without bubbles from the hole opened up by removing the engine coolant temperature sensor, then while continuing to keep filling it back up refit the engine coolant temperature and fill to the correct level. I did not know that and found that the heater would work > not work > work > not work, this went on for a few days, I was guessing that the air would get purged out into the expansion bottle, but it never did - so I followed the method I've said and it was okay.

Now, I don't remember ever the coolant level ever dropping dramatically, just a few inches, twice, so that might not have been your problem, I don't suppose that you checked the heater performance during this latest period after the coolant was changed, and if so, was it working as expected?

Thanks for your reply and insight :)

I've been using the heater today to clear the windscreen a few times and it's working perfectly as far as I can tell. I'll keep checking though and if I notice anything odd, will look into the sensor issue you noted.

Much appreciated.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.