2013 Seat Ibiza 1.4 Toca fuel mileage

Apr 26, 2024
Hi. I own a 2013 Seat Ibiza 1.4 Toca, which I purchased as a less-used second car. The car is in excellent condition with a FSH and new timing belt + water pump. I took it for a test drive and was quiet happy with it.

However, fuel mileage would appear pretty bad. I use the car on moderately long trips (25 miles) once or twice a week with the rest driving around town. But generally the car isn't used that much. I'm not a 0-60 guy and drive fairly conservatively most of the time. I've just filled up with approx. 42 litres of fuel and reset the trip meter. It took about 120 miles for the first bar on the fuel gauge to disappear and the second bar to disappear in about 12 miles. I'm down to almost half way on the gauge now and have only done about 150 miles. The dash display indicates I can get around 450 miles per tank but that must be wishful thinking.

Is my gauge faulty or is the car simply very thirsty? Any comments would be kindly welcomed.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
this engine mpg is not great but hard to tell, those numbers are too vague...

you need a full deposit, drive 400kms or so and then refuel to full again and only then you can assess the true mpg

also 16v engines have better mpg on highways or high speeds than 8v but are significatly worse on city or slow speed driving...

from my experience the mpg is inversely correlated with reliability, with this engine you end up paying more at the pump and less on repairs... and I prefer this way...

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members