4 wheel alignment results - comments please

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hey all...

Here are my 4 wheel alignment results from last week.

4wheel.jpg

Now, does anyone care to comment on these? The car still pulls to the left badly (IMO) and I want to improve it, but I really cant see what else to do.

I've had this problem since buying the car about 2yrs ago. Since then I've changed suspension, tyres (on std wheels), new wheels and tyres, tracking done, 4 wheel alignment done..... Also new ARB's (and hence subframe has been dropped and reattached)

I've been told that the rear isnt adjustable, but perhaps some adjustments of the rear axle might help improve it..

Any comments, please make them. Thanks. I'd love to get a car that drives straight (or close to it!)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
obviously the red areas are outside of specified range (or right on the edge) - green is ok, although still not perfect IMO.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I was going to say I wondered if someone has clonked the left rear (takes very little) and the stub axle has taken a little bend

hows the tyre wear on the old wheel that was on that corner?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
erm, to be honest the rear tyres didnt LOOK too bad, but what can u tell by looking? :(
Now they are in a pile I don't know which were the rears.

But do you think the rear left wheel could really make my car pull to the left a lot? The rear left is still within acceptible boundaries, is the rear right that seems to be out.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Apparently the cross camber (front) is out due to being lowered, and that theres not much I can do about it...

Well, i could install a camber adjustment kit, but thats overkill IMO.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Yeah, but it looks like the rear left toe is on the outer edge of acceptable...

so from the top your car looks like this

|------|

/------|

but whether it's in the desired limits - a radical difference will show it's head (like I know my cars is all over the shop since I've not had the time to align it - but as all sides are equal, it goes straight)

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
oh i see.... starting to get to grips with this lark.... So with rear right "dragging" slightly it would make rhs of car go faster than left, so to speak, and make it pull to the right.

When on a flat carpark, at a slow speed i notice the steering wheel pull from centre to left almost straight away, although not by a great amount.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
hmmmm.

Oh, don't know if this would make a difference - i had front left cv gaiter go recently, has been replaced.

Having said that, the issues been for 2 yrs now, just got to the point where its annoying the HELL out of me and the bigger wheels have just made it a bit worse.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ok, so what do we do about rear wheel alignment then? Apart from the shim suggestion which tbh sounds a bit bodge-like... I could be wrong, but i'd rather something else done about it, if there IS anything I can do.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
replace the stub axle

that's what I did for someone.... can't remember who now

anyway - bolt on job

but that presumes the stub axle is bent & not the 'axle'

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Genuine stub axle is about £56 - WHeel bearing would also be worth a swap out as I think they're a one use unit.

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
paul mine does exactly the same as yours, although maybe not quite so bad. the place who track mine are the only peeps who seem to know what they are doin near me, so i think its the cars rather than the equipment/poor settings

Darth Tater

Feb 16, 2006
Kent
Pabs

I can't help with the technical side mate but if it's any consolation my LCR pulls to the left. Again, it's done it since new. I've just got used to having that slight bit of correction required when driving it. Keep meaning to get it aligned as you've done but never got round to it.

It's not only yours that does it mate ;)

chubbs

Nov 14, 2001
waterlooville
Visit site
there is a place in southampton its www.supertracker.com pass it most days on my way to work would they be able to help you was thinking about taking my car not that it pulls or anything but just to be checked out . edited to say go to the links and wheel performance its the same building :doh:

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I use Demead tyres, and their equipment is supposed to be topnotch, and it looks it.

Like Copra said, it's gotta be down to a problem somewhere, but i'm finding it hard throwing money at things that may not be at fault. The alignment cost me £45 odd. But i needed to see if it was something simple i suppose.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise