ABF flywheel question

Sile-R

96-97-98 f2 champion
Oct 4, 2007
İstanbul / Turkey
ABF stock flaywheel is very heavy ... (approximately 9 kg)

What is the disadvantage of this?

What would you recommend to alleviate?

Which brand products are better?

How many kg is appropriate?

What will be benefits and disadvantages of lightweight flywheel?

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Had mine lighten to half the weight of standard!

Main problem I found was when you rev it high while idling it took about 2 weeks to rev back down to an idle rpm.... this means it takes more momentem to get it to spin up.

Lighten allows the car to rev up quicker, main disadvantage is that you lose bottom end torque but end of the day it's a 16v so you need to rev it to get the best out of it. Another one is the old theory of going up the hill flat out... with a heavier flywheel the momentem of it spining (stores energy) will aid the speed but with a lighter one momentem isn't as much so your speed will drop.

Tbh none of them reasons have effected me since I had it done, only problem I found is pulling off you'll need to rev a bit more.

I mine down by a local guy to me and he's big on club gti for rebuilding gearboxes and lightening & balancing flywheels, "hotgolf" look on the sale section on that forum he's usually selling some. Golf G60 flywheel is the same as the Ibiza so look for that to!

Do a search, I asked a simlar question a few years back.

T108

Jul 2, 2008
Disadvantages include that the inertia of such a mass means that hig reving engines ones that regualrly rev over 7500k will end up putting such a strain on the flywheel bolts they have been know to snap!

also engine revs take a fairly long time to return to idle.

Good old VAG part sharing, its a good weight for the VR6!

I would have a good 3 kilos taken off the flwheel (some take more) and reattach it with ARP bolts

it will allow the revs to built slightly quicker, and safeguard a high reving engine
Really not needed with a standard rev limit.
Disadvantage of going too light will be a bit more lumpy idle if your running lumpy cams.

kyle18uk

Dec 19, 2006
Nottingham
I mine down by a local guy to me and he's big on club gti for rebuilding gearboxes and lightening & balancing flywheels, "hotgolf" look on the sale section on that forum he's usually selling some. Golf G60 flywheel is the same as the Ibiza so look for that to!.

Is a g60 flywheel the same as the abf or lighter?

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
why have you bumped it up? All the infor needed has been mentioned! if u want to do it... do it! I would recommend it

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.