Alarm activated could not turn off!

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Just had my first proper issue with the Formentor.

Unlocked the car with the remote and the alarm went off as a rear door was opened. Tried everything to get it to stop. Pressing buttons on remote, starting the car (it started) locked the car and tried unlocking it using keyless entry. Tried unlocking with the emergency key in the fob. Opened and shut all doors bonnet and boot and the thing was still sounding. The hazard flashers were not flashing.
Went indoors and got the spare fob, it worked. The alarm silenced and the car operated as normal. After driving and returning home I went indoors and got the original fob and it worked as normal.

The car had activated the guest user profile as well. Changing back to the primary user was successful.

My first thoughts were if this had happened while away from home, I wouldn't have the second fob on me so how would I have stopped the alarm?

As a side note I received a notification on my phone and an email stating this:

• Service Scheduling
  • Remote Vehicle Locking and Unlocking
  • Vehicle Health Report
  • Remote Vehicle Finder
  • Remote Vehicle Status
  • Parking Position
  • Driving Data
  • Online Anti-Theft Alarm
  • Breakdown Call
  • Info Call
deactivated on 14.10.2022 at 14:34. You can re-activate these services at any time using the infotainment system in your vehicle.

This confused me a bit as I had restored the primary user by this point and nothing was amiss in the infotainment system.
I later realised that this was all due to the primary user being logged off. Why does the message not just simply say you have been logged off???

By the way the email stated 14.34 but the alarm issue occurred almost an hour later at 15.29

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’ve read of some mk8 Golf owners having had the alarm issue - see this discussion thread over on golfmk8.com;

Post #7 in that discussion thread states there‘s a TPI (technical product information) document number 2067062/x relating to this issue and that VW were developing a software fix, so maybe there’s the same - or a similar fix - by Cupra for the Formentor?

Reactions: Andy.M

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Thanks ,sounds very similar. Would Cupra garage be able to look up the VW TPI or is that asking too much of them!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thanks ,sounds very similar. Would Cupra garage be able to look up the VW TPI or is that asking too much of them!
There‘s way to find out 🙂. If Cupra see themselves as a premium brand, then they ought to be providing premium customer service.

Or is that also asking too much of them………🤔

Feb 1, 2022
I had exactly the same issue at zero dark thirty this morning but the second key didn't make a difference. Eventually I noticed the car had gone into guest mode also but wouldn't switch to a user. After turning off the guest privacy settings (enabling the location and internet services) everything reverted to normal. Lets just hope the neighbours see the funny side of it 😬😬.

It does bring me a step closer to wanting rid of it though :(, never know what its going to do next!

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
I had exactly the same issue at zero dark thirty this morning but the second key didn't make a difference. Eventually I noticed the car had gone into guest mode also but wouldn't switch to a user. After turning off the guest privacy settings (enabling the location and internet services) everything reverted to normal. Lets just hope the neighbours see the funny side of it 😬😬.

It does bring me a step closer to wanting rid of it though :(, never know what its going to do next!
A question, did you unlock the car with the remote from a distance?
Just thinking back to the day it happened, I unlocked it from our front door and the wife, who was at the car, then opened the door while I was still some distance away.
Also I read somewhere that alarm turns off after 5 minutes so maybe me using the second key coincided with that timeout?

Feb 1, 2022
A question, did you unlock the car with the remote from a distance?
Just thinking back to the day it happened, I unlocked it from our front door and the wife, who was at the car, then opened the door while I was still some distance away.
Also I read somewhere that alarm turns off after 5 minutes so maybe me using the second key coincided with that timeout?
Only a few metres away from the front door but I then went straight to the car with primary key in hand and started it up. The 5 minute thing might fit in with my timing too, probably won’t be far off with all the messing on I was doing…

Think it’s the nail in the coffin though for the Formentor. The wife doesn’t trust it any more after all the bugs it’s had, she’s already picked herself a 330e out 🙈. Looking like it’s going to be an expensive weekend for me 😂. It’s such a shame as it’s an otherwise great car let down by a horrific computer. Hopefully my Born (company car) doesn’t follow suit 😩.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.