Alarm fob poor distance

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I think there is something wrong with my alarm phob sensor. My old Leon TDI fob would easily work from a good distance........I could alarm/disarm my TDI from across our work car park (quite a large car park)

On my new LCR the range is non-existant......it will only work if i'm stood against the car.....tried changing the fob batteries twice now just incase I bought a duff battery.

Is there anyhing I can do to try resolve it? The only difference is my old TDI key/fob was a non-flip key. The LCR is a flip key.......

It's doing my bonce in now.........:cry:

Last edited:

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
First thought would be the batteries, but you say you have changed them twice!

Are they decent quality?

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire
could be something to do with the fob. i got three remotes when i bought my lcr. i asked the previous owner why three fobs, he said one only worked when stood next car so he bought another and worked fine.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
not really a fix but if you hold the fob to your temple then you should roughly double the transmitting range

As above

Hold it next to your head as you press the button...it increases the range :D

I've tried this, just doesn't help at all with my fob.

Even stood right next to the car the fob will only work when I point it in a certain direction towards the side of the car. It won't work stood behind the boot even if i'm stood touching the car...

If I buy a new fob it will be exactly the same as the fob internals will be the same? Or would I need to goto SEAT and get a brand new fob with new internals..........sounds expensive lol

Even stood right next to the car the fob will only work when I point it in a certain direction towards the side of the car. It won't work stood behind the boot even if i'm stood touching the car...

If I buy a new fob it will be exactly the same as the fob internals will be the same? Or would I need to goto SEAT and get a brand new fob with new internals..........sounds expensive lol

it doesnt work for you? lol i do it all the time from my living room if i think iv forgotten to lock my car!

what i would suggest you do before forking out is borrow a key from someone else and try that, maybe someone near to you could help out whats your loco?

if you can get your hands on a key for a few minutes it tells you in the owners manual how to programme it to the door locks, obv it wont work in the ignition but it will be enough to tell you if the problem is your key or your receiver, then programme it back to the other car, easy peasy

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire

yeah sounds like one of the fobs ive got, nearly have to be in the car just to get it to work open the doors. previous owner said he just bought a new fob so i assume with new internals but he wouldnt say how much the new one cost. the new fob he bought works at the proper range, i would have thougth somewhere around £200 all in from a dealer

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
I got a rough estimate from dealer for a new key, they were saying somewhere in the region of 250 sort of mark if i remember right! certainly not cheap!

I got a rough estimate from dealer for a new key, they were saying somewhere in the region of 250 sort of mark if i remember right! certainly not cheap!

ye that sounds about right, but that includes the programming of the micro chip for the immobiliser.

i think its possible though to get a new key off ebay, programme it to your doors, and then just swap the microchip from your old key into the new one

nick9one1

Feb 14, 2010
Grimsby
I have the same problem on my TDi, will only work pointing the key through the window close up. more than a foot away and it doesn't work. New batteries haven't fixed mine either

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.