All DPF Owners

Hank

Sep 20, 2009
That was reading from the trip computer but I checked it when I got home and it was spot on.
Are you sure you are reading from trip 2 and not trip 1? trip one resets after the ignition is switched off for 2 hours and trip 2 resets after 24 hours (or maybe 48 hours).

Here is how the official fuel consumption test is done.

Q: How is the fuel consumption test conducted.
A: The test is outlined in Directive 93/116/EC and provides results that are more representative of actual average on-road fuel consumption than previous tests. There are two parts: an urban and an extra-urban cycle. The cars tested have to be run-in and must have been driven for at least 1,800 miles (3,000 kilometres) before testing.

Urban Cycle:
The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20oC to 30oC on a rolling road from a cold start, i.e. the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed is 31mph (50km/h), average speed 12mph (19km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4km).

Extra-Urban Cycle:
This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75mph (120km/h), average speed is 39mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3miles (7km).

Combined Fuel Consumption Figure:
The combined figure presented is for the urban and extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two parts of the test, weighted by the distances covered in each part.

Belmont Turbo

Feb 9, 2010
ive done 24K in my 1.6 tdi only had the light on once. driving is mixed about 50% town/city - A-roads/motorway. i don't drive it economically really, normally get around 38 to 45mpg

rji

Dec 18, 2010
Thanks Hank and gaffer1986 for your replies.

On all previous cars the trip computer mpg has been very close the actual mpg. Also I've always managed to get close to the official combined mpg figure with my usual mix of short and long journeys. The combined figure for the Ibiza is 65.7mpg (over 50% higher than I'm getting).

On the Ibiza it's trip 2 that reads about 50mpg. I only reset trip 2 when I fill the tank then I calculate and record the mpg as always. With an actual mpg of 41 my trip is reading almost 25% high - if the trip computers are accurate there has to be something wrong somewhere.

Either, 1 - The engine is delivering 50mpg but an additional 25% of fuel is going elsewhere! or, 2 - The engine is delivering 41mpg but my trip computer is not recording all of the fuel being used.

The dealer checked it on Friday and there were no fault codes. And if "Computer says no" there can't be anything wrong. He didn't seem to have any idea what mpg these cars should deliver and was not concerned about getting only 41mpg with careful driving. They said they would send a DIS(?) report to SEAT. Does anyone know if I will hear from them again without me chasing it up myself?

rji

Dec 18, 2010
Hank, I just clicked on your "Fuelly" link.

Diesel at £4.77 per gallon! I pay 122.9p per litre that's about £5.58 per gallon.

I don't know how much you paid but at 122.9p per litre £52.09 would get you 42.38 litres or 9.32 gallons. Over 411 miles that's 44.1MPG. That's better than the 37.6MPG quoted by fuelly. Unless your diesel really was £4.77 per gallon and if it was where can I get some.

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
Thanks Hank and gaffer1986 for your replies.

On all previous cars the trip computer mpg has been very close the actual mpg. Also I've always managed to get close to the official combined mpg figure with my usual mix of short and long journeys. The combined figure for the Ibiza is 65.7mpg (over 50% higher than I'm getting).

On the Ibiza it's trip 2 that reads about 50mpg. I only reset trip 2 when I fill the tank then I calculate and record the mpg as always. With an actual mpg of 41 my trip is reading almost 25% high - if the trip computers are accurate there has to be something wrong somewhere.

Either, 1 - The engine is delivering 50mpg but an additional 25% of fuel is going elsewhere! or, 2 - The engine is delivering 41mpg but my trip computer is not recording all of the fuel being used.

The dealer checked it on Friday and there were no fault codes. And if "Computer says no" there can't be anything wrong. He didn't seem to have any idea what mpg these cars should deliver and was not concerned about getting only 41mpg with careful driving. They said they would send a DIS(?) report to SEAT. Does anyone know if I will hear from them again without me chasing it up myself?

rji
I also usually achieve combined figures in previous cars but not with this new 1.6TDi VW unit
the fuel figures quoted by VW, Skoda & SEAT are completer bollocks!!! My car is back at the dealers again tomorrow this is the third time!! Don't expect any response from SEAT UK they don't even reply to letters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Customer Service is SHITE!!!

rji

Dec 18, 2010
S19 JGB, what mpg are you getting and why does it keep going back to the dealer?

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
The overall average since new over 8k is now down to jsut less than 51mpg. the car went in in Octber, at that time the average was 53.89mpg, the car was in for 2 days no fault was found, the dealer did his own road test and said he got 60mpg so there was nothing wrong with the car 60mpg is still 105 from quoted mpg.
I complained to SEAT UK by letter, they responded by email, but any response takes 2 weeks!! I sent a letter to the Head of Customer Services at the beginning of the month but am still awaiting a reply!!
Car was in Thursday & Friday last week but nothing was resolved, it's in again tomorrow for 2 days. the 2 problems are economy and DPF regens, the car has done 24 that I know off, it is a pig to drive when doing a regen! I have told SEAT & the dealer if the problem is not resolved I'm rejecting the car as unfit for purpose!
I do 25-30K a year so need an economical car, this car is NOT economical!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rji

Dec 18, 2010
Hi S19 JGB,

The dealer said SEAT could have them test the economy. Said they will drive about 400 miles, because that's what you get out of a full tank (The tank capacity is less than 10 gallons so that would be less than 40 mpg). Also said SEAT will weigh the oil and get a report from the cars computer. But he didn't seem interested in actually doing the test.

SEAT Customer Care said the economy test run is done by the dealer without any involvement by SEAT. He wasn't sure but he thought they wouldn't do a test until there was more mileage on the car.

Customer Care were supposed to get back to me two days ago with some information from the technical department (who can't be contacted directly) but they haven't. One of the things was an mpg figure for real world driving. Everyone I have spoken to refuses to put a number on it and probably never will.

What did SEAT reply when you told them you would reject the car as unfit for purpose?

Hank

Sep 20, 2009
Hank, I just clicked on your "Fuelly" link.

Diesel at £4.77 per gallon! I pay 122.9p per litre that's about £5.58 per gallon.

I don't know how much you paid but at 122.9p per litre £52.09 would get you 42.38 litres or 9.32 gallons. Over 411 miles that's 44.1MPG. That's better than the 37.6MPG quoted by fuelly. Unless your diesel really was £4.77 per gallon and if it was where can I get some.

This is what my fuelly says
Date
15/12/10

Miles

Litres

Price
£1.26

MPG

rji

Dec 18, 2010
Hi Hank,

When I click the link in your post it opens a page that says:

Date 15/12/10, Miles 411.0, Gallons 10.929, Price £4.77, MPG 37.6, Notes Cold weather driving. Property of hank56.

I've never seen the site before, but the £4.77 per gallon price caught my eye. You would also be pushing it to get 10.929 gallons into what I believe is a 9.899 gallon tank in one fill.

I just drop my numbers into a spreadsheet and it calculates mpg per fill and running average mpg.

rji

Dec 18, 2010
You were right, it comes up in US gallons, I thought the Union Jack Flag and pounds sterling meant it was UK. But I found the button at the top for UK gallons.

rji

Dec 18, 2010
I've been checking fuel consumption records for previous cars. When our 7 seater MPV Kia Carens had done only 1,106 miles it covered 294 miles on 24.69 litres (5.43 gallons) thats 54.13 mpg. The Extra Urban Cycle is 55.4 mpg. The worst tank full was 41.01 mpg, still better than the Urban Cycle of 37.2 mpg. The overall average for the time we owned the car was 44.92 mpg. The Combined Cycle figure is 47.1 mpg. It is possible in this and in other cars we have owned to get close to the official figures.

This was my "normal" economical style of driving. In the Ibiza I'm trying vey hard to get the best economy possible (tyre pressures checked, air-con turned off, all electrics switched off whenever possible, gentle acceleration, no high speeds, etc) and the last fill delivered 44.42 mpg. That's not even close the Urban Cycle (52.3) let alone the Combined Cycle (65.7) and worlds away from the Extra Urban Cycle (78.5).

Compare the official figures:
Kia Carens: Urban 37.2, Extra Urban 55.4, Combined 47.1
Seat Ibiza: Urban 52.3, Extra Urban 78.5, Combined 65.7
Each figure for the Ibiza is approx 40% higher than the Kia. The official figures are intended to be a "Guide" and they would certainly "guide" you into thinking the Ibiza is much more economical but mine certainly isn't.

Compared to a 7 seater MPV that was not expected to be very economical the consumption of the small Ibiza with its hi-tech super efficient common rail 1.6 TDi engine is nothing short of disgraceful.

25 years ago I got better economy from a 205 with the traditional type of 1769cc diesel engine.

I believe it would be impossible for my car to achieve anywhere near the official figures even on the official test. We bought the car for the fuel economy but it would require almost a 50% increase in mpg to get to the official Combined Cycle mpg.

If you didn't buy the car for it's economy then perhaps you don't care about the extra fuel cost, I think most people don't even check their mpg. At just 12,000 miles a year the shortfall in mpg will cost over £500 a year at current prices.

Sorry for the long post but I think too many people are prepared to dismiss the fact that these cars were marketed on their efficiency when in fact the consumption is appalling.

R22 JGB

SEAT Leon FR184 DSG
Aug 29, 2010
Gateshead
Hi S19 JGB,

What did SEAT reply when you told them you would reject the car as unfit for purpose?
They did not bother replying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sent a letter to the head of Customer Services but had no reply whatsoever.

I picked the car up from the dealers this evening. I was told they can find no fault with the car!
I explained AGAIN, the car was bought as I needed an economical car due to the mileage I cover, 25-20k per year I told them I have documentary evidencce over the last 8 years and over 200,000 miles that I can achieve combined figures on other manufacturers cars, but cannot get anywhere near the quoted combined figures for the Ibiza 1.6TDi. I also stated that if there is no fault with my car the SEAT are telling porkies about the combined figures.

I was advised to contact customer services. As the department head has not replied to my letter I will have to go to the MD and see where that gets me. don't hold your breath as SEAT Customer Service is non existent

rji

Dec 18, 2010
Hi,

I talked to my Case Manager at SEAT Customer Care today for 20 minutes. I didn't know I had one until today, I thought it was just coincidence that the say person answered each time. He had failed to call back on Monday as arranged but said he had an email prepared. He read it over the telephone and it sounds like a standard letter in response to low mileage complaints. He hasn't bothered to send it yet.

The quotes all got a bit legal and he referred to a passage in the SEAT Ibiza ST - SPEC & TECH leaflet. You can download a copy from seat.co.uk if you don't have one. The passage reads:

** Official fuel consumption according to EU Directive 99/94. The consumption calculation according to 1999/100/EC is based on the unladen weight of the vehicle. Additional specifications can lead to a higher class and hence to consumption figures of this higher weight class. The driving style, road traffic conditions, environmental influences and vehicle condition can in practice lead to consumption figures which may differ from those calculated with this standard.

The Case Manager also stated that SEAT have never claimed what mileage these engines will deliver. They quote the official figures only because it is required by law. Do you think that including the text "consumption figures may differ from those calculated" constitutes a get out clause meaning any consumption figure is acceptable no matter how low ?

He also emphasised that customers will never be allowed to speak to the Technical Department in Milton Keynes.

If I ever receive the email I will post the contents. I'll probably start a new thread, this one started life about DPFs.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise