Alloy discolouration

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Anyone had any issues with their wheels?

Just noticed my drivers one is starting to discolour. I only ever jet wash the car and use car soap, no alloy cleaner etc after I suffered corrosion on my previous Leon's wheels.

Anyone else had similar or have any idea what could have caused it?
20220719_182022.jpg
20220719_182017.jpg

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Have you had them refurbed before?

Potentially looks like road rash / stonechip damage. Once the laquer is broken then the whiteworm just eats polished wheels

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
The bottom picture looks like it’s had light contact with another object such as a kerb (is it slightly rough to the touch?). Either that, or an abrasive cleaning product or cutting compound may have been used on it - maybe by the dealer in attempt to disguise dealer-inflicted damage - which may have removed the clear coat from the diamond cut surface. Sadly, it’s not unknown for dealers to damage customer’s cars and not tell the customer - at least with VW dealers anyway.

Or as @BigJase88 said, a substandard local repair; diamond cut alloys really need a full refurb if they get damaged and aren‘t suitable for spot repairs.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
Definitely repaired wheel you can see the texture is different you should see a tiny cutting line as the wheels are diamond cuts and then spray with clear coat for protection. This surface is too smooth for cutting, overspray on edges clearly from painting. Is that demo car from dealer?

Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I'd call it repaired too. Looks like it may be micro-blisters under the clear coat due to poor prep/humidity when sprayed?

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Definitely repaired wheel you can see the texture is different you should see a tiny cutting line as the wheels are diamond cuts and then spray with clear coat for protection. This surface is too smooth for cutting, overspray on edges clearly from painting. Is that demo car from dealer?

Yeah the car was an ex demo/managers car. Unfortunately the dealer is about 300 miles away from me, so looks like this may be me that foots the bill for this.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.