And so it begins - Breadlybrown

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
6 months. That's how long I lasted before succumbing to the slippery slope that is modifying. And so it begins...

I bought my LCR is December 2012. 55 plate, 55000 miles, 5500 pounds. Freaky huh? It was beautiful. 6 previous owners had obviously cared for it. Apart from a few scuffs on the alloys and the splitter, it was immaculate inside and out. I picked it up from Cardiff and brought it back to Salisbury. This is only the third car I've owned after a 2.6 b5 A4 estate and 1.8 Almera Sport+, and the differences were immediately apparent. It was everything I had hoped it would be. Maybe more. Why would I ruin it with silly rock-hard suspension and noisy exhausts?

Fast forward to the 14th June 2013. Here I am typing the beginnings of what I hope is a long and exciting journey into the world of modifying. Why the sudden change of heart? To be honest I'm not really sure. I'm almost certainly blaming this forum. Without it I would never have considered what I have planned. But in your defence I would never have gained so much knowledge and support, even if you have no idea you've given it.

So here we go then. A bit about myself. My name's Alasdair. I'm a nearly 25 year old professional musician, originally from Northumberland now living in Salisbury.

The Car

Silver LCR. 64000 miles. Not a single modification so far. Original aerial, original wipers etc etc.

The Plans

I've spent a good few weeks looking at as many RR's as I can trying to find common mods, easy mods, cheap mods, power mods, handling mods and the best rated mods. I've put together a list of what I believe to be the most suitable mods. The car gets used daily. As you can see I've put 9000 miles on it in 6 months. 3 of those I was out of the country so technically they were all in the space of 3 months. For this reason I need my car to stay reliable and easy on the bum on long journeys. This is of course a preliminary list and is subject to change. I've also attempted to put it into an order of completion too.

Finally, any comments/advice/recommendations is thoroughly welcomed as are any questions. This project has been made possible almost entirely by help received on this forum and I wish to return any help I can to any newbies in my situation.

3 x R badges and Cupra badges

These are starting to look scruffy so a nice easy cheap mod to start off with.

4 x centre caps

As above.

Calliper Re-spray

The callipers are currently a hideous shade of light pink. I've gone for blue. I'm hoping this will look good against the silver. I'm also going to continue the blue theme in the engine bay.

Disks and pads

These need replacing soon. I'm just going for new OEM parts. Until I start upping the power I have no need for uprated parts.

Wheel refurb

This is a dicision I've been battling with. I think the LCR looks REALLY nice with 19's so depending on my financial situation when I cross this bridge, I could go for new alloys and keep the stocks un-refurbed for winter. To make the decision that little bit more difficult I've seen some BBS CK's in 18's that look great.

Dogbone Mount

I've got no idea how this mod works but I've heard great things about it so it's on the list.

Replace hoses

In blue to keep with the calliper theme. Basically as many as I can change I will.

Badger5 V3 80mm TIP with Induction Kit and heatshield

Yup you guessed it. In blue. I've seen Badger5 does a kit with this all included. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80mm-V3-B...UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&var=&hash=item61cf711793

NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

This could be moved further up the list but I'll leave it here for now

Stage 1 Remap

There aren't too many places near Salisbury to get this done. I'm thinking JKM in Portsmouth to get a REVO map.

Cruise control

Retro-fit by JKM again. Very useful for the amount of miles I do.

Armrest

Not essential, just a comfort mod. SEAT dealer quoted me silly money though. Another bridge to cross.

Exhaust

The one mod I'm least comfortable with getting. I like the sound of the OEM exhaust. Its not aggressive and has a lovely burble at 2200/2300rpm on half throttle. But I accept that without it, upgrading the engine is fairly pointless. If anyone knows of a system that has the gains of a 3" system but sounds stock or stock-ish I would love to hear about it.

Coilovers

Another debate to have with myself. If I go with 19" alloys I probably won't want to lower. If I stick with refurbed stocks or the BBS CK's then I probably will. Hmm. As long as it doesn't make the ride too harsh. Reading some review though it sounds like it's not too bad.

Spacers - 10mm front 15mm rear

Essential in my eyes. Especially for the rears. It bugs me every time I walk up to my car just how far into the arch the rears sit.

Replace front seats

The seats just sit all wrong with me. I'm a tall lad, about 6'3", and my shoulders are in the headrest if I don't slouch. I'm also pretty skinny so I still slide about between the lumbar supports.

I think after all this the car should be just as want it. I'm hoping to do the small bits fairly quickly, I already have the badges, wheel centres and calliper paint ready to go. The bigger jobs will be less often. Maybe one every few months. At least that way I've always got something to look forward too.

I'm hoping to get some pictures on Sunday of how the car is now then I'm good to go.

Thanks for reading.

Al

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Free day tomorrow so wanted to get some before pics in before I start work on her.

First time uploading pictures so hopefully I've cracked it. I'll test with one first quickly...

20130617_211826_zpsae85e096.jpg

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Super Duper.

Right so I ran out to get some quick pictures before the sun went down and actually caught some good ones. All taken with my phone as I don't have a proper camera.:)

20130617_212520_zpsaddab391.jpg

20130617_212459_zpsd2e548cc.jpg

20130617_211826_zps031281cd.jpg

20130617_212446_zpsfeb7a107.jpg

20130617_212540_zpsea676d94.jpg

20130617_211814_zps38f7836e.jpg

Plus one from france a few weeks ago.

20130603_142531_zpsfbc1b4f7.jpg

Note the nice pink callipers.:( Can't wait to see them in blue. Need to buy a couple of axel stands then a few days where I don't need the car.

New windscreen was installed last Friday. Pain in the ass but at least it's done. Plans for tomorrow are wash and wax, new badges all round, new wheel centres and new drivers side headlight bulb. This is the third time it has blown since I've had the car. Is there something I could do to sort it, maybe new fuse or something?

Cheers

Al

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Hi al
Nice car mate
Those pics near boscombe down?
Anyway good choice of mods
Jkm did my stage 1
Caliper paint is a must!
Don't know about he bulb going mate. Maybe a loose wire to the bulb holder!
If you need the car scanning for faults you know I'm only round the corner mate
Ak (kev)

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Thanks kev. They were taken out by winterbourne dauntsey. Just a road i found trying to get the sunset in shot

I had a look at the bulb and the filament had gone. I've bought some new blue/white dipped and full beam bulbs to fit tomorrow. If it goes again I'll have to look into it more.

I assume you're happy with the stage 1 they did? I'm getting itchy feet so might have to get it done soon :)

Al

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Finally got round to doing the little jobs I had planned for a while.:rolleyes:

De-badged the whole car then added three new R badges (one on boot, 2 on the front wings).

Fitted new blue/white side lights, dipped beam and full beam bulbs. I've bought matching fog light bulbs but looks like I need to take the bumper off to fit them? Or at least get under the car? Axel stands should be here start of next week so I'll do it then.

New wheel centre caps.

As a spur of the moment idea I took the two covers off the engine and sprayed them with the brake calliper paint I'm planning on using. Sort of a test to see how the colour looks, although on plastic I guess it will be darker and not as smooth. I've only put two coats on so far, I'll add another couple on my next day off and also a coat of clear lacquer. Doesn't look all that bad but there is still some black patches showing through.

Obligatory wash also. No wax today though. Maybe next time:)

20130621_144619_zps78756467.jpg

20130621_144701_zpsf148fd6d.jpg

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Yea they were fine mate. Cars been hammered ever since and 0 issues!
Am thinking of taking the blue one there soon. Do notice a difference between the two!
Engine cover looks good mate . Mines yellow!
Fog bulbs you need to pull off the plastic surround , there's a clip either side and then you should see a torx screw behind ! Undo that and then you can take out the bulb from the back mate. Sure that's right
Ak

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
I'll have a look then if that's all it is.

not sure how the cover will look when i start changing the pipes, i think the forge ones are a darker blue. also need to secure the black square plate back down cos i peeled it off for painting.

i contacted jkm about the map and it was rather more than i was expecting. so much in fact that even after petrol it would be cheaper going to amd. Plus then i would get a longer drive home to enjoy it! :D maybe i could get some other bits and pieces while Im at jkm to soak up the price difference.

Had a chat with myself and think best way to go is sort supporting mods first before power, so induction kit, 008p (seem to have better reviews than 007p?) and exhaust before the map i think.

Service with new disks and pads all round booked for Friday.:)

Ak, where do you get your cars serviced?

thehawk18

Nov 26, 2010
Lincoln
the blue engine cover is a nice touch, looking forward too seeing the calipers all shiny and blue :p slight fade on the red atm... Nice car though pal :)

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Cheers Hawk :)

Yeh the callipers aren't great! I have issues with parking at my place and with needing the car almost everyday too, so i'm not sure I will be able to get all the callipers done together so might look worse before they get better! I'm thinking strip them all down to the metal first in a day then my next free day see how many I can get painted.

The thought of bare callipers doesn't excite me though :cry:

thehawk18

Nov 26, 2010
Lincoln
haha too true but sometimes youve got to compromise lol thats the problem when you use the car everyday i find that by the time my days off come ive got a massive list of things to do and rarely get them all done! have you considered vinyl wrapping the front and rear badges or painting them? personally black on the silver lcr's look ace, maybe a blue outline too match calipers and engine cover... lol just throwing ideas out there

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
More ideas the merrier Hawk :) I hadn't considered anything with the S badges. Crossed my mind to maybe get rid of the front altogether and replace with honeycomb mesh but not convinced.

Thanks for the heads up George. Exhausts confuse me on the whole....The problem I have is that I use it everyday and don't want it too loud so maybe just cat-back resonated but as soon as I can afford to/gf lets me I'd like a second car so I can go all-out with the Leon.

SO...

Would the map still be better getting done after the cat-back and does that include a sports cat? Or do I need to get that separately? :shrug:

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
As above
Get the mods done first before the map or you won't get the full potential. Might even give flat spots etc if done after!
And parking is a nightmare mate!
null-30.jpg

Ak

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
Just a small update this evening.

Finished the engine covers with another coat of blue then a clear coat. Looks much better now I think, little bit darker and a more even coverage. I'll get some photos up as soon as I can.

Also picked up my axel stands today so hopefully Friday (weather permitting) I can start sanding the callipers down in preparation.

I'm off to France Saturday so if anyone is on the a303,m3,m25,m20 Saturday morning keep a look out ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise