Anyone else disappointed with mpg on the 1.6tdi?

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
i am only getting max 48mpg on long 200 mile trips down south and that is being kind, I never go above 2500 revs and drive smoothly. It regulary drops down to below 40 in town. The car has now done over 5000 miles, so i would have thought it would be better by now. I think the 1.9tdi is better on fuel, which goes against what the garage said. :blink:
am i being unreasonable?

Generic

2010 Ibiza FR 2.0 TDi
Nov 16, 2009
Grantham
Yea, you're being unreasonable. Give it another 5k miles. Diesels take quite a while to fully loosen up. Canonmans demo was getting 62 mpg at 9k miles. I'm getting 52 with 100 miles on the clock, so that 70 mpg looks like it'll be a reality.

I just got my 1.6 tdi on friday! I done 220 miles in it and I getting around 45 mpg! And I'm know to have a heavy foot! But trying to take it easy! But I'm not bothered because I'm used to getting 24 mpg so anyrthing is better than that!

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
My current Ibiza does around 35-40 MPG depending on how I'm driving, so if I get more that 45mpg from my 1.6 TDI when I get it I'll be more than happy.

I don't think you can really judge MPG untill the car has done around 10k anyway - thats what I was always told.

JonnyT30

Jul 18, 2009
My 1.6tdi averages about 40ish mpg most of the time, and probably does about the same as yours on the motorway golfgtipaul. But has only done about 3500 miles so still has to run in a lot. Mpg doesn't really get any better on the motorway either. Have seen photos on here taken by peeps showing really high mpg's on both diesel and petrol cars, but this is easily done, just wait till the engine has warmed up and press the reset button on the underside of the rhs stalk. Could have easily posted a pic of my dash with 80ish mpg on the other day.
Night Flight, is your daily commute really short ie a couple of miles? As these engines seem to take ages to warm up, and assuming that your mpg is so low your car must be permanently cold and doing a regen on the dpf, indicated by a tickover of 1000rpm plus, and a slight smell of burning in the car for good measure.
Hate to agree with dealers comments but seriously wait till 10000 miles to see results, have posted before on here about my last ibiza which was a 100hp formula sport, which liked its fuel to begin with, but when I swapped it I could easily get 45 - 50mpg out of the thing.

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
My 1.6tdi averages about 40ish mpg most of the time, and probably does about the same as yours on the motorway golfgtipaul. But has only done about 3500 miles so still has to run in a lot. Mpg doesn't really get any better on the motorway either. Have seen photos on here taken by peeps showing really high mpg's on both diesel and petrol cars, but this is easily done, just wait till the engine has warmed up and press the reset button on the underside of the rhs stalk. Could have easily posted a pic of my dash with 80ish mpg on the other day.
Night Flight, is your daily commute really short ie a couple of miles? As these engines seem to take ages to warm up, and assuming that your mpg is so low your car must be permanently cold and doing a regen on the dpf, indicated by a tickover of 1000rpm plus, and a slight smell of burning in the car for good measure.
Hate to agree with dealers comments but seriously wait till 10000 miles to see results, have posted before on here about my last ibiza which was a 100hp formula sport, which liked its fuel to begin with, but when I swapped it I could easily get 45 - 50mpg out of the thing.

thanks mate, a reply thoughtful reply :)

Generic

2010 Ibiza FR 2.0 TDi
Nov 16, 2009
Grantham
Well, now got close to 200 miles on the clock and I'm getting between 50-55MPG. Spent most of my 30 mile journey today at 60MPH, and about 6 miles at 30-40MPH.

What sort of roads were you travelling on that trip? If you spent a long amount of time in town, then it will then take a long amount of time out of town to bring the MPG up again, if in the same journey.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
In the cars defense it is a short commute to work, about 4.5 miles of back roads, about a mile of it is uphill in second gear at 2.5k-3k revs (just too low for third to maintain the throttle response and not stall if some numpty ahead decides to crawl along) and it is almost constantly doing a regen.

I thought i'd be getting a job doing long miles when i ordered the car, only to end up getting a job doing naff all miles once it arrived!

JonnyT30

Jul 18, 2009
Night Flight, yeah thought so. My commute is about 14 miles and after about 10 miles, the tickover will drop to about 750 which seems to indicate that all is well, but occasionally notice that it rises on its own to 1000 when doing a regen. But don't normally get any better than 45 mpg as the journey is mixed 'a' roads and urban driving, the first 4-5 miles never give any better than 30mpg . I have seen the phrase 'you have ordered the wrong car' written in other threads to other peeps, but don't think that you would get better milage in a petrol anyway, and to be honest, you wouldn't get the wide grin that tdi drivers get when all the torque is unleashed, surely worth the extra few pounds.

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
i know im just echoing what people have said already but give it until its first service. Diesels do need to be run in alot more and tbh, they need long trips as well to finally loosen up.

When i picked mine up it had 24k on the clock, i looked through the service history and it had purely been used as a town car so i had never really been run in properly. I bought it from a dealer bout 60ish miles away and no matter what i tried i could not get the mpg above 50. Over time it got better, alot better in fact.

Before my remap i was consistantly hitting 55-65mpg on the run to work and about 50-60mpg on the way home and do take into consideration here its a higher powered diesel and i dont have a feather like touch with the ol' right foot.

To maximise you mpg find the highest point on the rev range before the turbo kicks in (ie off boost) and cruise it just below there and you'll be fine.

I would imagine once everything is bedded in nicely you'll clear 60mpg consistantly, give it time you have choosen the right car, you cant beat a dirty diesel ;)

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
indeed, it's not costing me any more to run than my old 0.8L chevvy matiz, it makes up for it on the long runs and yes, even the taking ages to warm up is worth it for the torque surge =o)

To maximise you mpg find the highest point on the rev range before the turbo kicks in (ie off boost) and cruise it just below there and you'll be fine.

Yeah, i'm, erm, kinda having issues keeping the turbo off boost :lol:

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
:lol:

i can sympathise with that lol,

if you have cruise control use it until after the magic 1k miles as that is the industry standard (if you like) initial bedding in period

Generic

2010 Ibiza FR 2.0 TDi
Nov 16, 2009
Grantham
Before my remap i was consistantly hitting 55-65mpg on the run to work and about 50-60mpg on the way home and do take into consideration here its a higher powered diesel and i dont have a feather like touch with the ol' right foot.

... What's it like after the remap? :p

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
ermm........ worse :bleh: highest ive got it is 56mpg, average is about 51mpg or there abouts, i know the weather dont help, i do need to stop enjoying myself quite as often as i suffer from the same fault as night flight

Generic

2010 Ibiza FR 2.0 TDi
Nov 16, 2009
Grantham
I thought most Stage 1/Pre-done remaps improved the MPG :p? Or is it a case of the MPG only improves if you don't use the car any differently than before the remap?

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
if you drive it in exactly the same manner, it will improve it very slightly in comparison to before the map, but, you pay the money for the performance hike, so the likely hood is that'll never happen in terms to driving in the same way.

When you get a custom remap you can choose if you want economy or performance as the primary gain

gaffer1986

I picked my car up yesterday 01/03/10 (first day for 10 plate)

Had 10 miles on the clock. Drove home from Wembley to Colchester Essex at 70 MPH (75 miles). Got 70 MPG

Now got 130 miles on the clock, last 40 miles was driving round town. Got 58 MPG

I am very pleased with the economy, although i have had a very delicate right foot as i want to break it in well before i put my foot down.

Engines are like children, the better you bring them up, the better they perform later in life.

JonnyT30

Jul 18, 2009
A bit off topic but can anyone tell me does the 1.6 CR TDI Ibiza have heated mirrors?

I know mine has heated mirrors, and they switch on with the heated rear window. But I also have the fold away mirrors option so I don't know if the heaters are part of that.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.