Ateca questions

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
1st post.

How did I get here: Long-time Audi RS (4 - 1xRS4 and 3xRSQ3) owner, ended abruptly back in June when my 2020 RSQ3 was stolen out of a locked garaged (broke into the house to get the keys). RS was on Ebay 4 days later in bits - I had special rear brakes so an easy spot - police raided the place and found a chop-shop. NFU Mutual paid out generously and quickly so bought an A1 Citycarver 1.5 DSG as an interim car as needed wheels quickly.

A1 is OK, but not big enough/too low. Have been looking at the Ateca and have some questions:

1) Looking on Ebay it would appear that the thieving scum don't target Seat/Cupra as there isn't too much evidence of cars being broken for bits - are incidences of theft fairly low?

2) Popped into my local Cupra dealer today and sat in one (1.5) in the showroom - was impressed with the feel and quality, felt decent, a little narrower/shorter than the Q3 perhaps but big enough for me.

3) The dealer had both the 190 and 310PS versions, am I correct in thinking that only the 310 version has adaptive dampers?

4) Having had a pano roof before I'll try to find one with the option - are there any known issues - leaking or squeaking perhaps?

Thanks in anticipation!

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Really bad times man. I feel for you. What about a Cupra Ateca? I would suggest something without Kessy as cars with Kessy easier to steal but, if they broke in for you keys, I’m guessing it doesn’t matter to be honest. I’ve always fancied an RSQ3, or SQ5 petrol.

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
Thanks for the reply, appreciated, RSQ3 are a fabulous drive with 400bhp (420 with 99 Octane and 500Nm) they are brutally quick - comes at a price though, eat tyres, 15,000 a set on 20" rims, nearer 10,000 on 21s, offset with the evocative 5 pot howl from up front. I've owned 2x SQ5, more performance than the chassis can cope with especially in the brake department - the V6 (and v8) engines are beset with timing chain issues when the miles get high, engine out job.

Kessy - is the Keyless start? Cheaper for the manufacturer to build than putting in a steering lock/ignition switch. Had an Autowatch Ghost on the RS4, was a faff to do the button sequence every time you started it but I reckon the next car will have to have it based on the experience this year plus a visible bar across the steering wheel too.

Going to have a chat with NFU over insurance, the A1 is £850 a year (aged 66, no points relatively low crime postcode) to insure (RS was recorded as a total loss) so despite having full no claims one is still penalised. The Insurance aspect will determine which engine to go for.

Reactions: H Rafiq

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all for any model you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Reactions: CosmicBlue

Tell

Staff member
On the panoramic roof mine hasn't sprung any leaks.

Vandalism when I first had it, it survived a year without being touched. Year 2. 2017 is when it started. Essex and London. The ITV adverts "drama sponsored by..." the feral kids came out of their estates to go after Atecas. Now they are not so rare as back then so suspect vandalism is down on regular Atecas in those parts although I moved to the countryside and Atecas are common as muck round here with a Seat local dealer. You don't get the vandalism in these parts. Youths aren't feral.

Kessy. You can always buy a pouch if that concerns you. I don't keep the key near the front or back door so well inside for any hijacking devices. Don't use a pouch.

As above you have got those steering wheel locks. The feral kids are more into scratching the car than nicking it although Ateca Cupras would be more up their street than the regular ones. Reckon the damage I got in year 2 was associated with how rare they were then and the ITV drama sponsorship. You probably need to watch ITV drama to find out what's being hit now.

Very nice Cupra EV coming out in 2024 / 25, suspect feral youths will be after that one. China bling one. This is where you don't want a car in that mat paint since it can't be touched up very well. Local paint shop here removed all the London / Essex dents and scratches. Blemish free now. I saved them up. £1,000 on the first. Decided I'd leave the rest till I was out of the hot bed of crime and have them sorted as a job lot.

The sister car Tarraco has more space than the Ateca if you are looking for space. It's the Allspace Seat model, Kodiak is the sister of that. Karoq is the Skoda version of the Ateca. Built at the same factory. The Ateca is described by dealers as the Leon SUV, if you want estate space but in SUV high seating style then it's the Tarraco.

VAG had three SUV platform across Seat, Skoda and VW. Small "fake" SUV which is Arona in Seat. Next up Ateca and Tarraco. 3x3 making 9 models from 3 chassis. Audi out there as well.

Btw the very nice Cupra EV coming is this one:

Last edited:
Reactions: CosmicBlue

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
As a footnote and in another post - I've bought a Cupra Ateca 310 with a pano roof, just got to get the V5 back for my A1 as it has a private plate. Looked really closely at the whole EV thing and there is no doubt that I could make one work for me - retired, not big miles each week, have a drive and garage, live in a town. The plummeting residuals have put me off, I'll run the Ateca for 6 years to 2023 and I'll be 72 then and figure what to have next - crikey I have to live that long too:D .

Reactions: Tell
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members