AUX input

crc_73

Mar 24, 2016
I have a stock Aura sound system in the Mk1 Leon, and would like to hook up the smartphone to the sound system, but there's no aux input available.

So I found this on youtube, but it's in Spanish.

I could probably figure it out, but the ads were killing it for me, so just wondering if anyone here has done it, or any things to be wary of doing it? It looks like it's hooked up to the line where the CD changer would normally be. Will the sound volume be decent enough?

Other option is to get a new 3rd party head, but the stock Aura isn't standard size, so I'd need to fork out for spacers, etc., etc. Whereas I definitely have a few headphone cables about the place.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
the spacer cost me about 8 pound off ebay and i bought an 80 quid sony head unit. Infinitely easier

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Carefully remove the standard unit,
carefully place it upon a hard surface,
carefully smash with a 4lb lump hammer until utterly disintegrated.
A hatefull bloody minded thing. I don't miss it at all.(n)

The standard aerial contains an amplifier that is fed 12v up the coaxial cable from your now smashed radio.
Most "normal" head units won't do this. search ebay for a mk4 golf aerial live feed filter
fleabay example
All it is is 12v fed to the aerial coax (your new head unit will have a switched live for an electric aerial) with a small capacitor to pass the radio frequency to the radio.
It's not too difficult, but it's seven years ago now.

The £20 crappy Saxon head unit has been absolutely fine, and has the all important red LED display. (dimmable too, I got caught out once with a Panasonic head unit that looked like Piccadilly Circus which couldn't be dimmed. Impossible at night.)

3 photographic SD cards have all my CD's MP3'd (one lounge wall's worth) an absolute sanity saver in a car.
Only complaint would be the radio reception is not quite so good & random track mixing could be more random.

Last edited:

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Concur with all the new head unit comments, first thing i did was fit an Alpine single DIN, set to RED (still a bit modern looking for my liking) but blue-tooth, DAB, USB, Aux inputs. All work very well and sounds quite good on stock speakers too! Blaupunkt do a retro looking single DIN as well with all modern bits bobs that i now wish i got to maintain in cab look but i was too impatient : ) Maybe look out for a new second hand Alpine unit soon on the adds!
D

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
X2 on the stock speakers actually being quite good. At least for sane sound levels.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
The stock unit should have a connection point for the old 6 disc cd changer on the back. I remember people in the past used to get a kit for aux connection available on ebay for not a lot. Thats if you don't want to change the head unit

bigpig131

Jan 13, 2019
There's a company called car2connect who sell wee modules that plug into the stock head unit where the cd changer plugs in, works perfect if you can't get a new head unit, had one for my old Ibiza and one for my Leon and had no issues at all!

Reactions: jt20vt
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members