Back box delete

DaveMac

Dec 13, 2022
Morning everyone hope we good
So quick question has anyone removed to the two back silencer boxes on their Leon cupra 300 ST with GPF? And what does it sound like, I have heard that they drone quite a bit after they have been done but that won’t bother me as I had a megane trophy no rear seats running an Akra exhaust with silencers removed, also does it throw any lights up on the dash if they are removed?
cheers guys

CupraOwl

Aug 2, 2022
I’ve got the same car and swapped the back boxes for something half the size (Powerflow) and the difference is more than enough. Drone can be bad at certain speeds/RPM but it’s worth it.
I imagine without the back boxes at all it would be too much but you might not mind it.
No lights on the dash; think that would be if you removed the cat or the GPFs.

Reactions: 300stdsg

DaveMac

Dec 13, 2022
Morning pal thanks for your reply, I have just had the back boxes removed so all I have now is the two GPF as these cars don't have centre boxes as standard, the sound is amazing the pops and cracks on down gear and can now really hear them gear changes, yeah it does drone on the motorway but it don't bother me at all plus don't really do a lot of motorway driving anyway, it has really transformed the car 😀

300stdsg

Dec 20, 2022
Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in the convo, but I'm due to be getting my 68 plate 300 ST (GPF) next week and was looking to try and get some sort of childish sounds out of the exhaust, ok I'll say it, farts 🤣.

I've seen some say the only way is gpf delete, which I don't want to do because of used car warranty, and also MOT. As you guys have got various backbox solutions I'm debating is it best to get less restricted back boxes (how are the dsg farts), or remove them completely (just how droney does it get)?

Help from you both is greatly appreciated if you guys see this that is

Reactions: CupraOwl

DaveMac

Dec 13, 2022
Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in the convo, but I'm due to be getting my 68 plate 300 ST (GPF) next week and was looking to try and get some sort of childish sounds out of the exhaust, ok I'll say it, farts 🤣.

I've seen some say the only way is gpf delete, which I don't want to do because of used car warranty, and also MOT. As you guys have got various backbox solutions I'm debating is it best to get less restricted back boxes (how are the dsg farts), or remove them completely (just how droney does it get)?

Help from you both is greatly appreciated if you guys see this that is
Hi pal I had my back boxes removed other week and in my opinion it has transformed the cars sound, its not to loud unless you really give it the beans, and when it's warm it crackles and pops and loud DSG gear change sound, does drone quite a bit on the motorway but am use to it from other cars I have had in the past but its not for everyone, I have send a link here to same car as mine with back box delete and mine sounds just like it
Hope this helps mate

300stdsg

Dec 20, 2022
Hi pal I had my back boxes removed other week and in my opinion it has transformed the cars sound, its not to loud unless you really give it the beans, and when it's warm it crackles and pops and loud DSG gear change sound, does drone quite a bit on the motorway but am use to it from other cars I have had in the past but its not for everyone, I have send a link here to same car as mine with back box delete and mine sounds just like it
Hope this helps mate

Thanks for the reply mate. Plus, back box delete I can only assume is cheap as I guess its just straight pipe from where the boxes were, to the tips? Mind me asking a cost?

DaveMac

Dec 13, 2022
Thanks for the reply mate. Plus, back box delete I can only assume is cheap as I guess its just straight pipe from where the boxes were, to the tips? Mind me asking a cost?
Yeah just straight pipe from exhaust to where the boxes meet, mine cost me £460 but would of been cheaper as I had quad tips fitted to mine, if I had standard oval tips would of cost me £380 pal

300stdsg

Dec 20, 2022
Yeah just straight pipe from exhaust to where the boxes meet, mine cost me £460 but would of been cheaper as I had quad tips fitted to mine, if I had standard oval tips would of cost me £380 pal
Thanks again fella. Just sods law VAG didn't want the cupra as loud as the golf r

300stdsg

Dec 20, 2022
I know pal, but again it might not be for you the droning inside the cab, but I don't mind it plus I turn music up 🤣
True, I've had a decat focus RS.....I don't mind sound 🤣. But yeah to get the dsg fart, if a complete removal is too much I may just get a local fit custom back boxes to get more sound without too much sound (don't want to piss the Mrs off 🤣)

DaveMac

Dec 13, 2022
True, I've had a decat focus RS.....I don't mind sound 🤣. But yeah to get the dsg fart, if a complete removal is too much I may just get a local fit custom back boxes to get more sound without too much sound (don't want to piss the Mrs off 🤣)
🤣 defo not as loud as that pal, I had a megane trophy with the akra exhaust with all silencers removed and that was loud, cupra is tame compared to that 🤣

300stdsg

Dec 20, 2022
🤣 defo not as loud as that pal, I had a megane trophy with the akra exhaust with all silencers removed and that was loud, cupra is tame compared to that 🤣
Sounds like back box delete is the way to go. My car will have a warranty with SEAT though, so might jave to ask if it affects it at all, wouldn't think so as it wouldn't affect anything

DaveMac

Dec 13, 2022
Sounds like back box delete is the way to go. My car will have a warranty with SEAT though, so might jave to ask if it affects it at all, wouldn't think so as it wouldn't affect anything
Yeah it is a good shout mate, let me know how you get on

CupraOwl

Aug 2, 2022
The smaller back boxes(£350 from Powerflow) I had put on mine are a big change on the stock exhaust in my opinion; in Sport and Cupra mode it’s got a decent burble particularly when I let off the accelerator and also when it downshifts. However, there aren’t any DSG farts!

Don’t think I’d want anymore drone than there is simply cos I struggle to hear my toddler in her car seat when on the motorway and she ain’t quiet! Granted, the stock sound deadening is pretty poor. But just think anymore drone would be too much as a family car for me.

FYI I’ve kept hold of the original back boxes just in case I ever sell it on so maybe worth keeping yours whatever you do.

Last edited:

CupraOwl

Aug 2, 2022
I’ve got the extended warranty and read the terms and conditions as though from the cat back onwards the exhaust system isn’t covered but don’t quote me!

It’s been serviced once by Seat and in the video the mechanic mentioned the modified exhaust but that was it.

Reactions: DaveMac

300stdsg

Dec 20, 2022
So we saying the lack of back boxes help with farts but cause drone? I did see about gutting out the golf r boxes and fitting them, guess that helps as well. So confusing all the options

Reactions: DaveMac

DaveMac

Dec 13, 2022
So we saying the lack of back boxes help with farts but cause drone? I did see about gutting out the golf r boxes and fitting them, guess that helps as well. So confusing all the options
Yeah it's stupid pal I have seen that about the golf R boxes but you have to alter the diffuser as the tips won't fit, think the Golf R tips are 3.5 inch the biggest I could change mine to was 3.1 quads. But yeah I get the DSG noise when I am proper gunning it and it's warm, when it's just toddling around etc don't really hear them which I like but it does drone on motorway but they don't bother me and I don't really do any motorway driving

DaveMac

Dec 13, 2022
The smaller back boxes(£350 from Powerflow) I had put on mine are a big change on the stock exhaust in my opinion; in Sport and Cupra mode it’s got a decent burble particularly when I let off the accelerator and also when it downshifts. However, there aren’t any DSG farts!

Don’t think I’d want anymore drone than there is simply cos I struggle to hear my toddler in her car seat when on the motorway and she ain’t quiet! Granted, the stock sound deadening is pretty poor. But just think anymore drone would be too much as a family car for me.

FYI I’ve kept hold of the original back boxes just in case I ever sell it on so maybe worth keeping yours whatever you do.
Yeah I have kept hold of mine as well

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.