Big brakes

Nov 12, 2022
Hi guys,

I've had a quick search on here for some bits but not really came across any definitive answers.

So my questions are,

Which is the better brembo calipers to run, 17z or 18z? Read on here supposedly the 17z doesn't work with our master cylinders?

Also do these fit under the 18" LCR alloys?

Found a set of each on ebay with the mounting brackets needed to fit.

I understand id need R32 brake disks but which pads would people recommend?

This will be going on a PD150 leon if that helps.

Cheers

Crackett

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Hi guys,

I've had a quick search on here for some bits but not really came across any definitive answers.

So my questions are,

Which is the better brembo calipers to run, 17z or 18z? Read on here supposedly the 17z doesn't work with our master cylinders?

Also do these fit under the 18" LCR alloys?

Found a set of each on ebay with the mounting brackets needed to fit.

I understand id need R32 brake disks but which pads would people recommend?

This will be going on a PD150 leon if that helps.

Cheers

Crackett
Your car won't stop any quicker with bigger brakes

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Ok, iirc (and yeah, I could definitely be wrong) the 17z are smaller and won't be a major hassle, the 18z are bigger and push the... not so good MC to its limits if not beyond. Expect longer pedal travel either way. Both should be fine under the 18s.

Still plenty of LCR Brembos about although the price keeps going up.

In the end, fit what you want as I'm guessing it's for looks more than anything (I guarantee I can stop as well if not faster with my PD150 running 312s)

Nov 12, 2022
Yeah I just want to do it more for the looks than much benefit.

I've got Plans to go for 300bhp eventually, it's got a hybrid on already, intercooler and a shite map, will get it dyno'd when I get a chance.

Just wanted to get an idea. If bigger brakes wouldn't help does that mean smaller brakes will be better with less weight?

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Big brakes are useful for having more mass in the disc which means better fade resistance (they can take more heat).

So if you're planning on tracking it then it's maybe a good move. I say maybe because it's down to use cases, I mean if you've got the £5k+ to go for 300bhp or you want to go endurance mode then you'll need them as that's going to be a lot of heat. I did about 10-20min sessions on Bedford GT in mine and the bells got to about 170-180° (temp strips fitted) and whilst it may be a stock engine I brake LATE plus heel and toe. No fade

On the street, big brakes are less important unless you're planning on hitting 150mph+ or towing quite a lot.

But like I said, it's your car, fit what you want, no denying BBKs look good on most cars

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Changing single piston to 4 piston or more is a nice upgrade.

The difference in bite is lovely.

Also bigger is better. Simple as that

Reactions: crackett
Nov 12, 2022
Right im getting conflicting information now, I read that the 17z calipers had an issue with our cars and the master cylinders but the 18z were better suited, now it's the other way round?

Is anyone around thats done this conversion to help?

Cheers

Crackett

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.