bits n bobs

sionowz

Jan 28, 2007
cardiff
right, not much goings on on the forum lately...so! been thinking what i can do to the beeza that won't cost me much...and decided to paint my rocker cover and manifold. Can anyone tell me if removing them has any fiddly bits or is it straight forward. also some chav bas*ard has keyed my car...so any info on removing a foot long scratch...Ive touched up some other scratches using touch up paint but they arnt the best job..chipstick maybe? It's a black 16v btw.
cheers!

mef

hi i would paint the rocker cover but would not bother with manifold i just painted my calipers red looks great with red car and black wheels try it

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
010-3.jpg

012-4.jpg

I love mine....be creative mate ! the engine bay is your oyster.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
OM your bay looks better and better mate! (if it goes missing in the night....WASN'T ME ;) ) lol :cartman:

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
haha, cheers dude...

its my bargain bay !:lol:

its been done so cheap !!.....people are suprised at all the seat cupra.net / ebay bargains ive had.

new inlet £5
full smaco kit £40
rocker £40
inlet polishing £30
viper induction £40

bargain after bagain.....of and some good de greaser !

i just need some silicone spray.

also think i am going to have a play with replacing the screen washer bottle with something else...i am wondering if another water bottle could be adapted to fit to give it a unique look.:confused:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
haha, cheers dude...

its my bargain bay !:lol:

its been done so cheap !!.....people are suprised at all the seat cupra.net / ebay bargains ive had.

new inlet £5
full smaco kit £40 WHAT WHAT WHAT?
rocker £40
inlet polishing £30
viper induction £40

bargain after bagain.....of and some good de greaser !

i just need some silicone spray.

also think i am going to have a play with replacing the screen washer bottle with something else...i am wondering if another water bottle could be adapted to fit to give it a unique look.:confused:

that's amazing mate, the samco kit costs like £200+ alone, where did you get that from? i wanna pimp my bay, but i got like a £5er (student life eh? lol)

sionowz

Jan 28, 2007
cardiff
bloomin hell, thats a proper bargain bay!! fancy selling ur samco setfor £50? :) did it take you long to remove the inlet and rocker??

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol

Pretty sure there's an electrical connection at the bottom of it, is that to the pump?

Probably could be adapted, might need a bit of thought mind.

Ant

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
One thing I have learnt about my cars and getting bits for it is that ‘patience is a virtue’ and if I wait long enough something will presents it’s self to me on a plate.

The samco kit was from a lad on here….. I use to see around my area a hell of a lot in a white Ibiza 16v that was incredibly fast….there were lots of rumours about what he had but when a lad on here mailed me saying I could have his hose kit for £40 it turned out to be him and I got to see the shell in his garage of what was once a cammed and supercharged Ibiza 16v and was running over 210bhp……anyways…

Just like the cage, I waited and waited and waited and one day £50.

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Pretty sure there's an electrical connection at the bottom of it, is that to the pump?

Probably could be adapted, might need a bit of thought mind.

Ant

i just think the thing is ugly.....just thinking of a way to make it smaller or a bit different.

dont know where this sudden love for my engine bay has come from ???:confused::shrug:

toonfiend

Hail to the Plug!!!!
Jun 27, 2008
Its pretty straight forward to remove the manifold and cam cover, takes about half an hour. I left my throttle body attached when I removed mine but if your painting/polishing yours you might want to remove it ( 2 bolts and disconnect 2 electrical connectors )Remove cam belt cover, ( 1 bolt round the back, it just lifts straight off ) Disconnect throttle cable and tie up out the way. Remove your ICV and associated pipes ( a good opportunity to give this a clean out ) Remove all the small breather pipes ( the ones with the material like weave around them, again a good chance to replace them all, about 3 quid for 3ft worth from auto spares ) Theres a pipe about an inch in diameter goes into the back of the manifold, remove this.Remove HT leads. Now you can remove the manifold, its held on by 8 hex bolts, pretty big ones as I recall about 10 mil I think, 5 on the front and 3 on the back, Its probably a good idea to WD40 them the day before as they will be tight. Use a good quality allen key and if you need to like I did use a ring spanner for extra leverage and give it a tap with a rubber mallet, they should come off no problem. Remove manifold. Remove spark plugs. There are 2 small bolts positioned inbetween the spark plug holes, remove these. Undo all bolts around edge of cam cover. Lift off cam cover and recover gaskets. Thats it, probably sounds more complex than it actually is, If your leaving your cover off for any length of time best off covering the block with a clean sheet or something to stop any crap getting in.
While youve got it dismantled it would be a shame not to replace all the old stuff, so bear in mind you will need : new cam cover gaskets ( mines an ABF, comes in a 2 part set) £23, new inlet manifold gasket about £5, Throttle body gasket ( i used loctite instant gasket £5 a tube, does the job sound ) new breather pipes £3, replace all the old crappy hose clips with spanking new jubilees.
A really easy job and you can get so much done while your at it. Cheers TF;)

sionowz

Jan 28, 2007
cardiff
ah great stuff, cheers. been looking through my haines and the page that describes how to depreassurise the fuel system is missing...would i need to do that? Think ill give it a go today!
cheers

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...

Just give it a good scrub, I did mine with some bleach and a brush. T-cut also helped with external stuburn stains. Looks the shiz dizzle now.