Blown Turbo , Help Required

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
on top of the advice you have been given i would phone SEAT customer care , and ask them what type of warranty you have on your car , the records should show that even if you are not the first owner.
I would also ask them for the case number which has been assigned to you (very important) this will show whether the dealership has actually contacted SEAT themselves.

once you have the info you il be in a better position to deal with the dealership about making a decision and also just in case they throw another obstacle in your way.

i will be interested in the outcome of this :snack:

gasaxe

Rang Seat this morning and got this bad news.

Just incase you didnt know all cars sold from ''Approved Seat'' dealerships are not all sold under '''Approved Seat'' schemes thus having the SEAT 2nd hand approved warranty seems mine was a private sale from the garage !

Looks like I need to follow the sales of goods act !

Gas

Mar 5, 2007
don't take the 50/50...... you should not be paying anything. My dad is a warranty manager for Hyundai UK, They had a Getz TDI in there the other day with a failed turbo after 90K and 4 years and 300 Days.

It was replaced without any problems .......... why are SEAT not doing the same?

Errr, MCFLY! HELLO MCFLY?? SEAT are not doing the same because Hyundai have a 5 year warranty on their cars, SEAT do not. But thanks for playing.

gasaxe

UPDATE:

Well sent of my letters last week to all parties and today i received one back from the garage with disappointing news as follows

"I have had taken the opportunity to have an independant inspection carried out on the car in the interim period (does not state who by and no evidence of a report).This states that the exhaust impellor shaft had broken & that there was excessive movement apparent in the shaft,confirming this was a sudden failure.As a consequence of this I am of the opinion this does not fall into the category of "not of satisfactory quaility" as suggest by you & that as a consequence of the warrenty not covering the part you are liable for repair''

It then goes on to say..

" therefore prepared to offer to conduct the work at the warrenty hourly rate & the parts at cost plus 10% not the standard retail rates. This is naturally is done as a good will gesture accepting no liaability ''

This is instead of the 50/50 split that I turned down

I have had no reply as yet with the Black Horse

If anyone has and ideas or suggestions were to go now they would be appreciated especially from you 2zeroalpha as you seem very clued up on this matter.

Many thanks so far.

Gas

Last edited by a moderator:

Dangerous Dave

Dec 11, 2006
TBH I would give up on a new turbo at this point and source a second hand turbo. Plenty appear on ebay for around £150-250 and get this swapped in. The turbo is fairly easy to swap out so wouldn't take long. I would try a deal with the garage asking them to fit this for free or very cheaply as the labour time is free to them after all.

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
If you were under impression that your car was sold to you having "seat approved" warranty while in fact it doesn't then I would try to follow that avenue.

Certainly under normal circumstances - failed turbo should be replaced under warranty, as really any other failed component.

reesy

May 4, 2007
South Wales
As previously stated I have a k03 tfsi fr turbo and oem intercooler available, after my k04 conversion. It would be a cheaper option and available straight away

gasaxe

As previously stated I have a k03 tfsi fr turbo and oem intercooler available, after my k04 conversion. It would be a cheaper option and available straight away

How much ??

and how much should i be expexting a garage to charge for fitting?

Cheers

Gas

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Ummmmm how can something that appears to have failed prematurely, when compared to other identical vehicles of similar age/mileage, be of satisfactory quality?

reesy

May 4, 2007
South Wales
Call it £250 for both the turbo(including manifold) & oem intercooler, I live in south Wales if you wanted to collect. The turbo has only covered 21k prior to removal

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
If you were under impression that your car was sold to you having "seat approved" warranty while in fact it doesn't then I would try to follow that avenue.

I believe this would fall into the category of the goods being 'misrepresented ' to you. This is illegal under the sales of goods act. If they tell you an item has/does something that gets you to enter into a sale then that is illegal. I had this argument with a furniture shop when I was assured at time of order that it would be 6 weeks max!! This was the only reason I ordered the goods and they had failed to fulfill. The sales man 'misrepresented' the goods/delivery in order to secure my order. Thats what i was told anyway and it worked when i when to them with it. :D

gasaxe

Ummmmm how can something that appears to have failed prematurely, when compared to other identical vehicles of similar age/mileage, be of satisfactory quality?

Looks like you have to prove it was sold with an inherent fault or manufacturing defect and it looks like that might be hard to prove with a turbo charger.

I believe this would fall into the category of the goods being 'misrepresented ' to you. This is illegal under the sales of goods act. If they tell you an item has/does something that gets you to enter into a sale then that is illegal. I had this argument with a furniture shop when I was assured at time of order that it would be 6 weeks max!! This was the only reason I ordered the goods and they had failed to fulfill. The sales man 'misrepresented' the goods/delivery in order to secure my order. Thats what i was told anyway and it worked when i when to them with it. :D

There saying it was not Advertised as a ''Seat Approved'' as it fell outside the criteria used by the previous garage (before it was bought out) and therefore only came with a Black Horse used car warrenty

Gas

Last edited by a moderator:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Go down there and tell them that if they don't fix it for free that you will key every car on their forecourt for a year.

If they don't play ball, just get keying.

Wellsy

GTI ED35
Feb 8, 2010
Yorkshire
www.facebook.com
I wonder what warranty it is. I bought a 2 year old FR550 in feb, and whilst there is still a year left on the original warranty, it was topped up to make it 5 years overall. When I was questioning this and what it included one of the things I specifically asked was 'so if it blows a turbo, am I covered for everything, parts, labour etc', and the answer was yes. You should have some info stateing in black and white exactly what the warranty covers.

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
Ask for a copy of the inspection report. If you feel the car was missold to you then you must do someting about it.
If there is a significant sum of money involved then you may wish to have your own inspection undertaken and make i clear you will hold the garage liable for the cost if it is found to be faulty. Furthermore, a sudden failure as they say suggests a manufacturing defect. You are now at the "letter before action stage".

maxitrol

Andy
Mar 5, 2010
slightly of topicmy turbo went on my 54 plate golf gttdi on Awesomes rolling road(no fault of thiers) i a new turbo the inter cooler and pipes flushed for £1400 last year

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
So your car has covered 28,000 miles and is 4 years old?
and i take it your car has been serviced fully as per manufacturers specification?
then if this is the case the turbo should not be failing at 28,000 miles period !
Most after sales warranties are written in a way that dealers can wriggle out of paying out , but to be honest if it was a SEAT approved used car and was bought from a SEAT dealership i dont see what their problem is?

Write the dealer a letter stating that you are rejecting the car based on the turbo blown , copy that to the finance company , its the best route to go down imho , stick to your guns , i know its a slow process but its a procedure you have to follow , hopefully the finance company will fight on your side.

Big_Mikey_G

Jul 30, 2009
Birmingham
how much should i be expexting a garage to charge for fitting?

I was quoted £250 including new gaskets and seals to fit a replacement turbo that i had sourced myself by P-Torque of Wolverhampton. Theyre a reputable garage that advertises on these forums.

I was also quoted £220 by another local garage but no mention of new gaskets and seals.

Hope this gives you a rough idea of fitting costs.

Mike

gasaxe

So your car has covered 28,000 miles and is 4 years old?
and i take it your car has been serviced fully as per manufacturers specification?
then if this is the case the turbo should not be failing at 28,000 miles period !
Most after sales warranties are written in a way that dealers can wriggle out of paying out , but to be honest if it was a SEAT approved used car and was bought from a SEAT dealership i dont see what their problem is?

Write the dealer a letter stating that you are rejecting the car based on the turbo blown , copy that to the finance company , its the best route to go down imho , stick to your guns , i know its a slow process but its a procedure you have to follow , hopefully the finance company will fight on your side.

Thats my main problem the car was not sold as an Approved SEAT it was sold as a private sale through the SEAT dealership , something I didnt relise at the time.

Gas