Brake disc size?

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Thank you. Glad I asked on here, I saw somewhere that if you had 16" alloys then you had 312mm front

Disc size is more dependent on the engine & chassis combination than the alloy wheel size.
Bigger engine -> heavier & more power -> more braking force needed.
Sports chassis & DCC -> performance-oriented drives more likely -> more braking force needed.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Thank you. Glad I asked on here, I saw somewhere that if you had 16" alloys then you had 312mm front
Manufacturer sometimes (confusingly in my mind!) use wheel size to differentiate different brake sizes.
Seat don't though - just use PR codes for their brake systems.
Porsche sometimes use wheel size for brake systems! like with their Taycan - so you can have 19" wheel brake option with your 21" wheels! :eek:
Volvo even use 0.5" increments - so you could have a 16.5" wheel brake option with your 17" wheels!:eek:

Just confusing if you ask me - much better to just use the disc diameter/brake system manufacturer or a code - like PR codes.

Reactions: serdar_18fr

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
---- and then there is LandRover, they have always been a bit hit and miss when it comes to building even Series 2a LandRovers, anyway, I know someone that was being a very helpful son and so took on the task of buying in a set of winter wheels/tyres for his parents brand new Evoque, he is a "car guy" so knows his facts, except he hadn't factored in the "LandRover way", a quite basic low powered version of Evoque, sent out unfortunately with bigger/better wheels - and bigger/better brakes!

He seems to have started at the rear, that end went okay - not really a surprise, but he failed to get the first front wheel to fit correctly - oh bother!.

A quick email to Mytyres confirmed that they would accept the undamaged or unmarked 3 wheels back, the 4th one that refused to fit on the front - was his to keep! So that was that as far as getting winter wheels/tyres on that car, "luckily" a typical LandRover issue arose within 2 years - engine cutting out for a short period when at motorway speeds, an issue that the average LandRover dealer knew about but could not resolve, so it rendered in against a new Hyundai 4X4, so far it has only suffered a few "low level" issues.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members