Brake master cylinder plumbing

R French

Hi - Does anyone know if there is a dedicated front and rear output from the master cylinder on a Cupra 16v std 280mm set up so I think the same set up as 8v non ABS.

I can see two unions for the pipes to go from but wonder if the pressure output is different from each one. Can someone have a look at their non abs set up and let me know where they think the pipes go to.

I'm not running the standard pipework layout or a load compensator - just a proportioning valve on the rear.

Thanks, Rich (link to pics from SCN thread)
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142605&highlight=brake+master+cylinder

Last edited:

R French

So, seeing as no one got an instant answer - I thought some more about this and .......
If it is a diagonal split system there is no front or rear as both outputs on a tandem master cylinder go to two tees which the rears then take there feed from, hence diagonal split!

I can pick which ever one I want for the front and rear for a non diag split circuit - Front MC out #1 to tee for OSF&NSF. Rear MC out #2 - Proportioning valve - tee - NSR&OSR. Not quite road legal but it will get me out a hole until my bias pedal box set up is sorted.

Does this make sense to you folks?

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
abs is 2 pipe - both the same pressure as far as i know ?

aren't the non abs one's all 4 pipe ?

R French

Yep - everything is diagonal split using 2 pipes from the MC and teeing off another 2 for the rear.
Anyway - set it up as one output to the front and the other to the rear with AP valve inline on the rears plus handbrake. Blinking Marvelous! I can stop again without breaking my legs.

Found a '93 MC that had 3 outputs on it and a bias valve screw. However the bore is too small to be any good with the lager front calliper pistons on the G60/Cupra set up.

Sussed the bias box problems out - I need to move the mounting point to the brake pedal closer to the pivot point - I was only getting 5:1 but thought I had 8:1 due to a wandering decimal place in my maths failed me. This will mean that the 14mm front and 0.625" rear cylinders will be about right with the standard calliper pistons.

Way to much hassle for stoppage - enjoyed the standard servo set up so much I may stick with it! I never thought I'd say that in a million years! Only gripe is the pipe unions a gits to get at tucked in the inner wing.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members