Clutch problem - Is it master or slave cylinder?

Oct 16, 2023
I got a 2015 Seat Leon FR. I started it up this morning and when I pressed the clutch pedal it completely stuck to the floor and I had to use my foot to release it up with force. It also won't go into gear when car on.
Currently trying to determine if it's the master or slave cylinder to get a quote from mechanics.
Just wondering if anyone else experienced the problem before and would know which one it is. Cheers!

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I got a 2015 Seat Leon FR. I started it up this morning and when I pressed the clutch pedal it completely stuck to the floor and I had to use my foot to release it up with force. It also won't go into gear when car on.
Currently trying to determine if it's the master or slave cylinder to get a quote from mechanics.
Just wondering if anyone else experienced the problem before and would know which one it is. Cheers!
Have a look at your brake fluid level - has it dropped below the take off point for the clutch outlet ?

Try to trace the clutch pipe from the master down to where it goes in to the top of the clutch housing.
See if you can find fluid leaking from it anywhere,

Try looking under the car where the engine meets the gearbox ( clutch housing )
if there is brake fluid leaking from there - it is more than likely the slave and that means gearbox off.

Oct 16, 2023
Have a look at your brake fluid level - has it dropped below the take off point for the clutch outlet ?

Try to trace the clutch pipe from the master down to where it goes in to the top of the clutch housing.
See if you can find fluid leaking from it anywhere,

Try looking under the car where the engine meets the gearbox ( clutch housing )
if there is brake fluid leaking from there - it is more than likely the slave and that means gearbox off.
Hi, thanks for responding. I did a quick check under the car and limited tracing but didn't notice any visible leaks. However the brake fluid level was exactly on the MIN mark.
It just occurred to me that my brake discs+pads are wearing thin and due for replacement(was scheduled to replace this week). So now wondering maybe it's not a leak, but this is the cause for the low brake fluid level, possibly being stored inside the calipers?

I'll try top up the brake fluid and see if that makes a difference, then do thorough check after to spot any leaks. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Walone

john atkinson

Jan 24, 2010
Hi, thanks for responding. I did a quick check under the car and limited tracing but didn't notice any visible leaks. However the brake fluid level was exactly on the MIN mark.
It just occurred to me that my brake discs+pads are wearing thin and due for replacement(was scheduled to replace this week). So now wondering maybe it's not a leak, but this is the cause for the low brake fluid level, possibly being stored inside the calipers?

I'll try top up the brake fluid and see if that makes a difference, then do thorough check after to spot any leaks. Thanks for the help!
Same symptoms as mine. 65 plate, FR 184 TDI. New Master Cylinder solved the problem.
I did not realise how much the clutch pedal feel had degraded over time until the new Master cylinder was fitted.
The car is now much better for spirited driving.
Good Luck.

Reactions: SuperV8

KV100

May 14, 2019
Had the clutch pedal go to the floor twice on me over the years, i pulled it back up and its been fine since, Fingers Crossed.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.