Quoted £450 for Clutch master cylinder replacement

Oct 16, 2023
I have a 2015 Seat Leon FR which needs the clutch master cylinder replaced. I've got a quote from a mobile mechanic who said it would be £450 for the parts +labour time.
Would you say this is a reasonable quote for the job or should I look everywhere? Thanks

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
No harm in getting other quotes is there? Does seem expensive to me but it's not something I've ever had done.

Reactions: Dinner

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The slave needs the gearbox out to change it so it's not the quickest of jobs.

BUT

If the gearbox is coming out - there is no way I would be putting it back in without a fresh clutch

Reactions: Mr Pig

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
The slave needs the gearbox out to change it so it's not the quickest of jobs.

BUT

If the gearbox is coming out - there is no way I would be putting it back in without a fresh clutch
The OP mentions master cylinder - not slave cylinder!

Master cyl is fairly straight forward to replace - quoted 1.6hrs to replace - £450 sound a lot to me.

Jammers

Jan 3, 2023
I have a 2015 Seat Leon FR which needs the clutch master cylinder replaced. I've got a quote from a mobile mechanic who said it would be £450 for the parts +labour time.
Would you say this is a reasonable quote for the job or should I look everywhere? Thanks
My Astra needed the master and slave cylinder replaced. It was under warranty but if not was looking at £2000

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
My Astra needed the master and slave cylinder replaced. It was under warranty but if not was looking at £2000
Clutch master cylinder & Clutch slave cylinders are completely different!
Clutch master cylinder is attached to your clutch pedal and usually straight forward to change.
Clutch slave cylinder is attached to your clutch in/by your gearbox and in our cars is a engine/gearbox split job - much more involved, and you would usually change the clutch and dual mass flywheel 'while your at it'!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.