Clutch pedal woes - sticking to floor but can pump

Apr 27, 2023
Hi all,

I have seen a few threads regarding sticking clutch pedals and having to have new master or slave cylinders. I don't think they quite match what is happening to me, so if anyone has advice...?

The car started developing a sticky clutch pedal (goes to the floor) but was easily pulled back by slipping your foot under. After a few pumps of the pedal, it seemed fine. I took it to a garage for diagnosing. They have changed the master and slave cylinders and also the clutch and flywheel.

All seemed good whilst driving around the city for the first few days but now it's happening again but is much much worse, to the point I had to crawl to the hard shoulder as I couldnt change gear. I was recovered by the RAC who instantly said this is a slave issue.

The garage now has the car but when testing, the clutch pedal was working correctly. It seems very temperamental but surely having changed the master & slave there shouldn't be an issue (I'm assuming they investigated the pipes and hoses)

Has anyone had something similar or anyone know what it could be apart from replacing the new parts?

TIA

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Hi all,

I have seen a few threads regarding sticking clutch pedals and having to have new master or slave cylinders. I don't think they quite match what is happening to me, so if anyone has advice...?

The car started developing a sticky clutch pedal (goes to the floor) but was easily pulled back by slipping your foot under. After a few pumps of the pedal, it seemed fine. I took it to a garage for diagnosing. They have changed the master and slave cylinders and also the clutch and flywheel.

All seemed good whilst driving around the city for the first few days but now it's happening again but is much much worse, to the point I had to crawl to the hard shoulder as I couldnt change gear. I was recovered by the RAC who instantly said this is a slave issue.

The garage now has the car but when testing, the clutch pedal was working correctly. It seems very temperamental but surely having changed the master & slave there shouldn't be an issue (I'm assuming they investigated the pipes and hoses)

Has anyone had something similar or anyone know what it could be apart from replacing the new parts?

TIA
Edited as I’m a moron and didn’t read your post properly, sorry about that. After my car had the master changed after everything else changed, the pedal also dropped to the floor when I was picking the car up. I got the manager and showed him it flat to the floor. I took it anyway and that was the last time it did it. Maybe get them to bleed it again?

Apr 27, 2023
Edited as I’m a moron and didn’t read your post properly, sorry about that. After my car had the master changed after everything else changed, the pedal also dropped to the floor when I was picking the car up. I got the manager and showed him it flat to the floor. I took it anyway and that was the last time it did it. Maybe get them to bleed it again?
Thanks Jay.
I remember them bleeding it for a second time on the third visit after I complained - same thing happened unfortunately but I have heard of problems with hydraulic pipes so not sure if they should be looking at it again?

As of today, they have taken out the gear box again and fitted a new slave (so they say) as they are completely stumped at what else it could be.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Surely there is a return spring or does it rely on the clutch to push it back...

R53Winny

Apr 11, 2022
Hi all,

TIA
Mine did this in December once.. RAC attended pulled it back up and followed me to the main dealer.. Main dealer couldn't replicate fault. As I'd lost confidence in the car and it was under warranty I applied pressure to rectify. My was a 2017 early facelift. They changed Clutch Master Cylinder + Pedal Assembly. + Brake fluid. Apparently pedal assembly had been updated hence the change...!

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Mine did this in December once.. RAC attended pulled it back up and followed me to the main dealer.. Main dealer couldn't replicate fault. As I'd lost confidence in the car and it was under warranty I applied pressure to rectify. My was a 2017 early facelift. They changed Clutch Master Cylinder + Pedal Assembly. + Brake fluid. Apparently pedal assembly had been updated hence the change...!
Sounds like my experience too, came very close to handing the car back. Surprised how many examples of this issue are on the forums (and other VAG forums) and yet most seem to have a terrible experience with garages trying to rectify it.
i hope you can get it sorted @ciobbath

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Surely there is a return spring or does it rely on the clutch to push it back...
That is what you would think happens, and it used to be like that - I've forgotten the "jist" of it but I think that either the cylinder designs have been simplified and bodies changed from steel or alloy to plastic, and maybe a spring left out leading to some cars having no issues and some having issues, ie changed from a proven design to a much cheaper "improved" design - that is not quite fit for purpose, as long as it lasts through the warranty period, then, for VW Group and others that use it, it is a winner!

Reactions: Mr Pig and R53Winny

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I seem to remember technicians? Playing with new slave cylinders before fitting, they should not be operated/compressed before fitment, assuming these are internal s/cylinders inside the bell housing. Why I don’t know but I stopped issuing them from the stores till the guys were ready to fit them, Idle hands and all that. As a wee aside the clutch pedal in wife’s car has stuck down on the odd time, today was the last time, popped it up with my toes and working ok, so far.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
That is what you would think happens, and it used to be like that - I've forgotten the "jist" of it but I think that either the cylinder designs have been simplified and bodies changed from steel or alloy to plastic, and maybe a spring left out leading to some cars having no issues and some having issues, ie changed from a proven design to a much cheaper "improved" design - that is not quite fit for purpose, as long as it lasts through the warranty period, then, for VW Group and others that use it, it is a winner!
They do actually have weak springs in the master & slave cylinders & the clutch pedal.
These are only weak and the main force you feel is obviously the clutch diaphragm spring.

Hi all,

TIA

For the clutch pedal to stay down - it must be either a cylinder seal failure/contamination or air.
Seems like it has been bled several times so my vote would be seal contamination or failure.
What parts were fitted - genuine or aftermarket? Failure of new parts is rare - but not impossible, much more likely contamination of the seal.
Did the garage flush out the clutch hydraulic hoses - both the feed to the master cylinder and hose from the master to slave? I would guess there is some contamination of your seal caused by crap in your fluid, causing an intermittent internal leak with one of your cylinders.

#edit#
I have found some service info from LuK on a specific bleeding procedure for the concentric slave cylinder.
Apparently if the CSC is not blead properly it can burst!

1683102504687.png

Last edited:

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I sprayed the clutch pedal pivot point inside the car with some ‘toolbox buddy’ lub and pedal moves much easier now, to the point I have been checking it’s not stuck down it moves so easy now, brake/clutch fluid level ok and no signs of fluid around bellhousing so fingers crossed slave cyl ok.

Jan 20, 2024
Looking for some advise, got a seat copa 2012, was having issues with the clutch, over the holidays i found that one morning i went into it and pressed the clutch fully in it stuck to the floor and i was unable to get the car into gear. It has just come back from the garage and he replaced the master cyclinder, car seemed to be fine on driving it home but was thinking it didnt feel 100% right but alot better than it had been over the previous months before it stopped working, anyway, went into the car today to drive it and have the same issue, engaged clutch and it sticks to floor and i cant get it in gear, after pumping the break pedal and clutch it seems to build up pressure which allows me to get it in gear, after a short drive it starting gving the same issue, i had to stop the car and pump break and clutch pedals, this allowed me to get it started and drive home. could this be air in the line or would it be the slave cyclinder ? if air in the line is it easy to remove.

Anyone with any info will be appreciated before i contact the garage on the monday.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.