Brand New Cupra, considering protection options

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
Hi

Getting a new MK2 Leon Cupra this week and have been trying to find out recommendations for keeping the paintwork as good as possible. Tried the searches but "new" is too short a search string, and brand does not really cover what I would like to know, so elected to come straight out and ask.

What I would like ideally is to get the paintwork up to the best possible standard using a detailer, apply some kind of sealant to lock it in, then some ventureshield protection film (looking into a group buy for owners and will post if I get anything sorted) then cover it up with some quality wax and build up the layers.

I have got in touch with Gary that is on a sticky on this section and he provided me with some advice and a decent price on getting it all done.

What I am looking to find out is other people's experiences when cars (brand new) have been bought and they have elected to undertake detailing work and what they have used particularly on a Crono Yellow Seat.

If Admin could look at putting up a sticky advising the best regime for new, 2nd hand and restoring old paintwork that would have at least meant you will not see posts like this.

I will of course be posting my experiences up and asking for it to be made sticky for other newcomers to SEAT.

All opinions are welcomed so I can guage what is the best option for me (and the nod from my accountant a.k.a. the wife)

Thanks

Pummy

alex1

We took delivery of a brand new emocion red altea and although very well prepared by the dealer we did notice a few swirls and the odd scratch where it appears they used a water blade to dry the car.

I am a perfectionist so I wanted to sort the defects out, so I set about using scracth x (meguiars) to remove the odd defect, and then I used the megs three stap products, but only stages 2 and 3 to shine up and protect.

On my first wash I used the scracth x to remove the blemishes, then washed the car with Autoglym shampoo, then I polished the car with Megs stage 2 polish, and then waxed with megs step 3 carnabu wax. It came up an absolute treat and looked great. However I don't think the wax is very durable, as after only a couple of weeks I noticed that the deep lustre wasn't quite there. Wanting to protect the paint and use a durable product I rewaxed the car with Collinite 476 wax. The collinite is very durable and after 4 weeks still beads water off and looks great. I would say that the collinite is not as glossy as the megs, but the durability is awesome.

In summary, my procedure for my new car is:

1. Wash with good shampoo, using the 2 bucket method. and a microfibre wash mit, not a sponge.:funk:

2. Dry using a decent microfibre towel. I use a second micro fibre mit.

3. Polish with a good polish - for me megs stage 2. I apply using a terry towel cloth and buff off with a microfibre cloth (tescos 87p in the cleaning section):)

4. Apply a good wax - very much personal taste, but the collinite 476 appears to be great at locking in the shine and lasts ages. I again apply with a clean terry cloth and buff off with a different mcrofibre cloth. I actually applied 3 coats with 24hours between each.

The beauty of the tesco clothes is that they are different colours, so I have different ones for different stages - and they are cheap, but good quality.:D

Lots of detailing is personal choice and preference and cost based, but I haven't spent a fortune, have some good products, and for me I feel I have a great looking car.

Hope the info helps.

Regards
Al

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
LOL - you are right those cloths are great value, and if you go for the same thing in Halfrauds but a brand name it will set you back at least five times as much just for one!

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
So Gary came round to look at the car and we agreed we would prep the car for some protection film to be applied.

After that there will be some sealant applied onto the car and then covered in a few coats of a wax. The 2 choices are Swisswax or Colnite (maybe collinite) and this is where I am undecided. £35 for the pot of Collinite getting 10 coats but higher durability as opposed to the Swisswax.

I am veering to the collinite based on the lower cost of the pot but would like to have a deeper 'shine' from the Swisswax.

I will start hammering that search engine, but thanks for the tips, esp about those tesco cloths. Never have enough of those clothes around by the sounds of things.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise