Rear bumper/boot lip protection

markh

Cupra Leon ST VZ2 2.0 310 4Drive
Jan 15, 2018
I'm looking to protect the rear bumper / boot lip of my new Cupra Leon ST, as I have a large dog that travels in my boot and I don't want him scratching my new paintwork as he jumps in and out.

Has anyone used one of these from RGM?

If so, what do you think of it?

I've looked at this but being clear I know it will look horrible if there are any air bubbles under it.

Any other suggestions for protecting it?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Depending on the thickness of the bumper protector, there might be a risk of it rubbing the paint off the bottom edge of the tailgate when opening / closing the tailgate.

A cheaper or no cost option would be to carry a blanket (or similar) and cover the bumper when your dog gets in and out of the car. Alternatively, you could consider a dog friendly boot liner with a fold out flap - similar to the product at the link below; that would protect your bumper when the dog gets in / out and would also keep your boot clean of muddy dog paw prints and dog hair.

The one at the link is a universal, ‘one size fits all‘ boot liner, but if you do an internet search, you’ll find companies that sell this type of boot liner for specific makes / models of vehicle. Prices vary too, so worth doing some research if you decide to go for one of these.

markh

Cupra Leon ST VZ2 2.0 310 4Drive
Jan 15, 2018
Depending on the thickness of the bumper protector, there might be a risk of it rubbing the paint off the bottom edge of the tailgate when opening / closing the tailgate.

A cheaper or no cost option would be to carry a blanket (or similar) and cover the bumper when your dog gets in and out of the car. Alternatively, you could consider a dog friendly boot liner with a fold out flap - similar to the product at the link below; that would protect your bumper when the dog gets in / out and would also keep your boot clean of muddy dog paw prints and dog hair.

The one at the link is a universal, ‘one size fits all‘ boot liner, but if you do an internet search, you’ll find companies that sell this type of boot liner for specific makes / models of vehicle. Prices vary too, so worth doing some research if you decide to go for one of these.

Thanks.

I've got a boot liner with a fold out flap, but he caught the flap with his foot once and now tries to get in to the side of it.

I've only had the car for 4 weeks, so I'm still very protective of it.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I used clear vinyl wrap to cover the inside lip and edge of the bumper, as I had a roll of it from refurbing my daughter's headlights. It's invisible but will just peel off, so you won't even notice it's there.

Reactions: markh

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
I've had those RGM covers on several other cars, they work well and protect everything. They did clear the rear hatch on an Astra, a Saab and a Ford.

They dont make one for the Formentor (yet) so I'm going to go the clear Fablon route - at £5 a roll got to be worth a go. No dog, just a bit clumsy loading and unloading tools and camping stuff now and again.

Reactions: markh

adrianator

Sep 13, 2022

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240310_050312_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240310_050312_Samsung Internet.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 35
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.