Buying used from a dealer- what sort of discount did you get

Stringman

Dec 23, 2021
So I am in the market for a 19 reg leon estate 2.0tsi xcellence lux.
They seem to be in the region of £18,000 to 19,500.

I have seen one local to me - 19 reg 27000 mile ( so a little high) for £18500.
Salesman was right out of the 90s, really arrogant and cocky (and very sexist to his female assistance in her first week!)
didnt even know that traffic jam assist was a thing ( " and Ive been selling Seats for twenty years!") so I dont really want to buy from him but its in the price range.

What sort of price do you think I should aim for? He wont take my car as px because its an 11 reg diesel so its either a cash deal or on finance - IF I can pay it back without any charges after 3 months.

So, if you can, tell be you best bartering tips and what sort of price you got to pay?

Thanks in advance

Mikeyd1

Jul 14, 2022
Go for 500 off and he probably meet you in the middle. Me personally would try to get more off but in this Wierd car shortage they will probably stand firmer. Or if you going finance for example he’s say it’s 360 a month for 5 years I would say the best I can do is 330 for 5 years and go from there , they earn money from finance deals so they usually a bit more willing.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
In the current car market, don’t be surprised if you don’t get any discount 😮.

Over the last couple of years, relatively few new cars have been built because of supply chain issues, and there are very long wait times for new cars to be built (12 months or longer isn’t unusual). This has meant some customers have switched to buying newer, used examples rather than buying brand new. As a result, demand for good quality newer used cars has often exceeded supply, which puts sellers in a strong position and gives them the upper hand if they know they‘d be able to sell certain desirable models many times over at the screen price.

You might be better trying to get some freebies such as a free next service and MOT, car mats, full tank of fuel etc. rather than trying to get a discount.

Might also be worth looking outside your local area, and be prepared to travel for the ‘right’ car.

Reactions: Mikeyd1

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Good advice ☝🏼 Try get a decent warranty too. One which covers as much as possible, and for as long as possible. Take it from someone who’s used these warranty companies in the past. They are worth it, but make sure you know what’s covered, and what isn’t.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Yeah they dont give money off these days.

I bloody hate salesmen. I bought my last car of cinch. Easy peasy no salesman in sight. px whatever you like.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
If you want a warranty then consider the Seat 2 year warranty with 2 MOTs, breakdown cover & 2 services for just under £40/month. Discounts often available.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, my younger daughter and her husband are experiencing this just now, their experience comes from dealing only with independent used car sales places, and it seems that as the used car market cools down slowly after the stoppages in new car deliveries, cars being stocked have been bought in at a higher price a few months ago than it is possible to get them now, so lots of places are faced with dramatically reduced profits per unit - and so faced with "do we let that one go for £200 less than ticket price, or do we hold onto it for another few months when its market value will have dropped more and so lose more of the predicted profit?".

They played hard ball and made an offer that looked like £400 off, and walked away to allow the seller to get back to them with a plan that suited both parties, they had no trade in so that makes things a bit simpler, eventually after 10 days they have agreed a deal and collected the car - that was a 2019 Arona not a Leon.

The annoying thing for me is that "breakdown cover" by it's self is not what I ever have, I prefer at home + roadside assist + recovery/fix - and I try to do all my own servicing and repairs.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Agreed the price of used cars has gone crazy. My 64 plate Leon 1.6TDI SE with Technology pack , 35k miles, is currently "valued" by webuyanycar.com at £7450. I only paid £8250 for it 3 and a half years ago!
Even my 14 year old Octavia 1.9PD Elegance estate with 74k is "valued" at over £2500

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
My wife's 2010 Clio with 46k miles is valved at £2,150.

My 2018 Leon FR at only £2k less than I paid for it in 2019.

We were planning to change the wife's car this year & had a budget in mind that 18 months ago would have bought an 18 month old Fabia or Ibiza - now same budget will only buy a 3-1/2 old car. We are hanging on to the Clio as she drives less than 3k miles a year.

Reactions: LeylandVCDS

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
My wife's 2010 Clio with 46k miles is valved at £2,150.

My 2018 Leon FR at only £2k less than I paid for it in 2019.

We were planning to change the wife's car this year & had a budget in mind that 18 months ago would have bought an 18 month old Fabia or Ibiza - now same budget will only buy a 3-1/2 old car. We are hanging on to the Clio as she drives less than 3k miles a year.
Problem is that whatever your buying will be similarly inflated in "value" or price. The difference you actually change to pay will not be much different. Yes it seems great having an older car that's seemingly worth more than you thought, but that won't make changing it any cheaper. Like your Clio, my Octavia doesn't do many miles, and to change it would cost thousands, so even after 10 years, it ain't going anywhere!

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
My car is the opposite. It’s worth a lot less than 6 months ago when I bought it.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
My car is the opposite. It’s worth a lot less than 6 months ago when I bought it.
Used car prices may have been at their peak six months ago. I don’t know if they were but if so, then anyone who bought at the peak of the market may now be seeing the effect of a double whammy; prices beginning to stabilise plus the ‘normal’ impact of depreciation.

• Sad
Reactions: H Rafiq

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Problem is that whatever your buying will be similarly inflated in "value" or price. The difference you actually change to pay will not be much different. Yes it seems great having an older car that's seemingly worth more than you thought, but that won't make changing it any cheaper. Like your Clio, my Octavia doesn't do many miles, and to change it would cost thousands, so even after 10 years, it ain't going anywhere!
Absolutely right. Which is why we are keeping the Clio.

Reactions: LeylandVCDS

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I just feigned a heart attack and ignored the question when the ’D’ word was mentioned, although I do know some places were there was a mark up on the screen price which was the ‘discount allowance’ ready to be offered at customers request, if they asked.
What other purchases do people expect a discount on?

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I've just been offered a brand new GR Yaris due to a cancellation. The last of them since sales were discontinued last year.

It's a Convenience pack model so it's missing a few good bits. As the car is brand new it's for sale at RRP with the option of 0% PCP finance with a healthy deposit.

I'd love one but I need a daily driver not a garage queen! Maybe a future investment though!

This appealing offer sounds better than waiting for a new Cupra Leon!

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I've just been offered a brand new GR Yaris due to a cancellation. The last of them since sales were discontinued last year.

It's a Convenience pack model so it's missing a few good bits. As the car is brand new it's for sale at RRP with the option of 0% PCP finance with a healthy deposit.

I'd love one but I need a daily driver not a garage queen! Maybe a future investment though!

This appealing offer sounds better than waiting for a new Cupra Leon!

Sent from my moto g31(w) using Tapatalk

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Toyota is probably the clever way to go, but not a GR Yaris. A Prius would be handy considering the price of petrol these days.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.