What a week!!!!!

Seat Cupra Girl

Aug 21, 2015
Hello All, Well last week I said that it was the best car I have ever owned but after the week I have had my thoughts are beginning to change First off it has took 2 different coolant sensors from GSF and none of those worked the needle on the dashboard did not budge took those back and got a full refund so all good, I then went to a different shop Discount Motor Spares and got a sensor from them the guy selling it to me was adamant that my engine is a AGU not an AUQ that is what he said when putting my reg in the computer so after a brief discussion I reluctantly brought it because it was not the same make as the other ones that I had tried from GSF Instead of being a Dark green it was more Luminous green and called Intermotor. I changed it again this time I lost a lot of coolant as I forgot to take the top of the coolant bottle first there must have been a bit of pressure in there cos as I popped it out I had a coolant shower lol, but hay small price to pay I suppose cos after refilling the coolant I turned the key and hey presto it worked I could not believe my eyes the needle was moving was so pleased with my self considering SEAT earlier in the day first would not give me the part number they said they don't give out part numbers the stroppy sod :lol: he said they could supply and fit it for me for £120 but in the end I only paid £20 for the part and £5.00 on a bit more coolant stupid mistake of mine. But when my boyfriend was going out my passenger door window decided to brake on him he had it half open and needed to close it to lock car, He tried to go up but no movement just some bad noises tried to go down it did but would not stop until it had got to the bottom, tried to close again but nothing, He has had to strip the door by taking of the front panel and the place I paid to fix the leak a few years ago had glued the back plate to the door solid which made this very hard to get off, but eventually not sure how he got it off but he did to find the wire all chewed up in the bottom, He has had to wedge the window shut with 2 pieces of timber under it for now to keep it closed, but last night when it started to rain I went to check it and it was leaking so I have wrapped motors and other parts in plastic bags to protect against the rain. I think I have found the right part on Ebay Please could someone confirm this part is the right one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-LEON...837461A-NEW-/151518332445?hash=item234732461d In the mean time could any one advise what is best way to stop water coming in because the door is all open the panels have not been put back on he did not think it was worth it until I have the part for the window and there is heavy rain due today and tomorrow and I don't want to my electrics to get too wet? And does anyone know what is best product to reseal the panel back on to the door to stop leaks when I have replaced the parts?

Another thing when my partner was using the car the other day before the sensor was replaced he said car felt nice when he first got in it to go to pals house and when he was driving back home he put his foot down a little and he said car felt like it was hesitating one sec it had power in 2nd and 3rd gear then next it was flat no power like it was losing boost pressure when he pulled up at island car was trying to stall and revs bouncing like crazy and when he came home he gave me the keys and said he is never driving the car again as it always plays up with him and never me :lol:. When I have read up on the brand of the sensor I have put in it says it helps with a lot of things, this is what it said on the website

What does a Coolant Temperature Sensor do?
The Coolant Temperature sensor changes resistance with the temperature. The Coolant Temperature sensor is critical to many PCM functions such as fuel injection, ignition timing, variable valve timing, and transmission shifting.

Could this be anything to do with how the car was acting when he was driving or could it be to do with the coil pack? as they have not been changed in about 5 years since I first had the car and remapped it the old coil packs went the night we had it remapped so maybe one of those have gone again I do know last time they went the engine management light came on but the light has not come on at all this time my mate plugged it in to VAG last night and no fault showed not even my old two errors so I think the new DV, coolant sensor and thermostat have sorted those but does 5 years for a set of coil packs to last, does that sound a bit long because a friend said they need to be changed every 2 years does anyone know as the VAG is not showing a fault but the same friend has said that it will only show a fault if two packs have gone as they only trigger an error when 2 go does anyone know if that is true?

We can hear a hissing noise when the car is on tick over it sounds like it is coming from the right hand side when the bonnet is up. I have checked pipes can't pin point out exactly where its coming from when inspecting so anyone know best place in Birmingham to go for smoke test to check for leaks please?

A couple of other things on a bit more positive note since the sensor has been changed and working the car seems more responsive the temperature gauge is working every time, The fans are working again on the front of the car with out the air con being switched on or keys in the ignition. My partner noticed that they were not working the other day when he used the car, I had not noticed that they were not working until he said something. I asked at my local garage and they said the fans must be working because when the air con button was pressed they began to spin, But after reading other post on SCN I was starting to fear the worst it was going to be an expensive fix but thankfully after changing the coolant sensor they are working again I don't know if that is useful for anyone else but the coolant sensor does affect your fans on the car.

Thanks for taking the time to read sorry the post is a bit long and maybe a bit :confused: any comments and advise is very much appreciated :)
Michelle

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Michelle get a new boyfriend :D

Glad the temp sensor sorted it, smoke test is a good call, the coil packs dont need changing unless they actually fail.

Id wait to see if any faults happen again before doing anything else. :)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi michelle, yes that's the right part for the window. Glad to hear you got your temp sensor sorted in the end.

Seat Cupra Girl

Aug 21, 2015
Update

Hello All, Just thought I would give a little update about how thet car has been running since I changed the thermostat and coolant sensor, the engine temperature needle is going up to 90 on the dash board every time the car is driven, the petrol usage is better than it has ever been, the revs have stopped bouncing now the car feels a lot more responsive does not seem to hesitate when you put your foot down to overtake even when my other half was driving it earlier he said it feels a lot better.

Hi michelle, yes that's the right part for the window. Glad to hear you got your temp sensor sorted in the end.

Thanks mty12345, for confirming the part for me. :D

Michelle get a new boyfriend :D

Glad the temp sensor sorted it, smoke test is a good call, the coil packs dont need changing unless they actually fail.

Id wait to see if any faults happen again before doing anything else. :)

Thanks traumapat, im going to look into getting the smoke test on my next pay day along with the part for the window I thought I still had the old passenger door from the car because there was a dent in it and I just brought a new door of ebay and changed it but I try to have a look for it today in the garage but I could not see it because my boyfriend is a hoarder and we have 15 years of junk it there so to find it I need to search and that would probably take about a year :lol: he has been saying he will empty for years but that has not happened so easier to just buy a new one of ebay, apart from the hissing noise im hearing the car seems to be running nice, it might just be me reading too much into it maybe they do hiss but I had never been under the bonnet before to know if it has always made the noise. It has only been since I joined the SCN that I have started doing little jobs on the car myself from following guides and members helping me on here. By the way traumapat I think I best stick with my boyfriend cos if I got rid of him he would probably take the car with him knowing my luck and I would be sad to see it go :rofl:

Thanks
Michelle

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
The smoke test is a good idea if only to give you piece of mind that the systems solid. Small leaks can give as varied an effect on the overall engine in a similar way that the coolant sensor does, so if you get any further problems you know what it isnt so to speak. :D

So when are you putting on the huge wheels and fitting the massive exhaust? :whistle:;)

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
. By the way traumapat I think I best stick with my boyfriend cos if I got rid of him he would probably take the car with him knowing my luck and I would be sad to see it go :rofl:

Thanks
Michelle

Yeah thats true, but he might also take his 15 yrs of sh*t out the garage.... swings and roundabouts as they say.:D

Seat Cupra Girl

Aug 21, 2015
Urgent Help Needed. Faulty Window? Faulty Regulator? Faulty Motor?Faulty Fitter(me)?

Hello All, Well the weekend I replaced the window regulator, I went for the like for like replacement from GSF I paid £46.00 with 20% discount. I attached the rails to the metal plate with the pop rivets I got from Halfords. I then took the tie clip off the middle cog of the regulator taped that to the back of the panel until I attached the motor later, I then pushed the window brackets up to where they needed to be by hand, I then placed this against the door too make sure it fitted in. I then screwed the back plate on and tried to attach the motor on but could not get it to screw together so I then had to take the plate back off so I could hold the regulator to the motor so it would secure back on, I then reattached the back panel to the door, then I tried to go down on the window using the button it did, I tried to go back up it went to where I pushed the brackets up to then it started to click again and stopped moving up to close, I have managed to close it up by pulling the glass up while the button was pressed several times it was making a lot of noise and just edging up slowly, it was getting dark and starting to rain and starting to look like a murder scene blood was everywhere :lol: I cut my finger as I started on the back panel because some idiot has tried to cut it with metal cutters around where the wiring loom goes to the door lock so caught my finger on that and it would not stop bleeding it finally did about an hour after I finished :lol: so hard to see what I was doing gave up attached the door card back on plugged everything in screwed it on and shut the door tried to get out to find I could not the door from the inside using the handle will not open can only open from the outside so I have done something wrong there as well. It took about 4 hours for me to do this and I am very disappointed that it has not worked, Can anyone offer any advice on where I may have gone wrong? Does any one know if it could be because
1. I manually moved the Brackets up without the motor being attached?
2. The Motor No Good?
3. I'm just useless?

I am off work today and weather looks ok so I am going to take it apart and unattach the motor and push the brackets back to the bottom by hand then reattach the motor and go up to where I need to to put the glass back in and try again and reattach the door card to see where I have gone wrong with the release lever and see if I can get it working again because that would be an MOT failure. On a plus side I have put it back together and there has no been any leaks or no extra screws left :lol:

Seat Cupra Girl

Aug 21, 2015
One Happy Seat Cupra Girl!!!!!!

I suspect that the hook isn't attached to the handle or the little black clip near the hook isnt clipped in place and that's why the door won't open from the inside.

Did you check the teeth on the window motor werent mashed before fitting the new regulator?

Did you use this guide? http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1015107

Thanks Sockpuppet you are spot on I had not put the wire through and the black clip had not clipped on. I have just seen your post as I have finished and come on to update you all.

Also the window is working the reason I had the problem was because I manually pushed the window brackets up to where I thought I needed them when I should have attached the motor to do it and the noise's were because I had not tightened the screws on the to the motor enough so it was just missing contact with the regulator. The reason for this was because the new regulators come with out thread so you make your own so when I did it the first time I did not go in enough I noticed the motor was a bit loose as soon as I took the door card back off. So today has been successful I have a working door, A working window, and no more cuts :lol: It is a quick job really if I had of took the door apart in the first place not my boyfriend then I would of had more of an idea where things went typically men :rofl:. Through reading the SCN and looking at DubSteve68 guide on here which was really helpful with the pictures so thank you today I have managed to strip the door down and fix it within about 40 mins that included taking the window out as well.
the link for DubSteve68 post is here for anyone that needs help http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3255713#post3255713

Thanks all for taking the time to read. One happy Seat Cupra Girl again :)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members