Caliper Refurb

QU4RESMA

Apr 7, 2011
East Midlands
Hi All

i've seen the guide to refurbishing the calipers on my LCR however, i think the previous owner painted them over with a really horrible red and it's definitely a botch job!

Does anyone know what red i need to purchase to re-do these?
Anyone resprayed/painted theirs recently?

Planning to sand them down - will need to sand them down quite a bit to rid of all the paint lumps and the poor effort of lacquer that's been applied

May use aircraft paint remover (meant to be really good stuff to remove paint) but not sure - anyone had any experience with this?

And finally respray and lacquer along with new Brembos

On a side note, i have a red LCR - I was wondering IF i summon the courage and be a little more daring and change the calipers colour? Was thinking Lime Green or Orange?!

Thanks all!

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
I used a can of halfords Caliper paint and it turned out very well.
I rubbed then down with wet and dry then sprayed them. It needs no lacquer with is great too. Then i put on new decal.

Before

B0374E6F-9DE2-4648-8237-50B12574C4D4-205-00000008DBCB29CC_zps8dd0bbd0.jpg

After

591A8DEA-CD9D-4E77-8745-2D3A61019906-205-00000008BA58BA01_zps951c2a9a.jpg

QU4RESMA

Apr 7, 2011
East Midlands
Wow nice. Exactly the red I was going for. Mine are worse than yours... horrible. Can't wait to get them done... still fancy trying out lime green :)

I used a can of halfords Caliper paint and it turned out very well.
I rubbed then down with wet and dry then sprayed them. It needs no lacquer with is great too. Then i put on new decal.

Before

B0374E6F-9DE2-4648-8237-50B12574C4D4-205-00000008DBCB29CC_zps8dd0bbd0.jpg

After

591A8DEA-CD9D-4E77-8745-2D3A61019906-205-00000008BA58BA01_zps951c2a9a.jpg

Nolando89

Jun 12, 2014
Dorset
If you do decide on lime green you can get black "brembo" decals and it looks GOOD I saw it once with gloss black wheels to match it looked awesome just don't think it would suit a black LCR so I haven't done it!:happy:

supa_sam

Black n yellow says hello
Feb 24, 2013
Leeds
I took the plunge and reprinted them yellow,
I used hammerite which was ok but hasn't lasted as long as I hoped it would
Plus it isn't that glossy, better than the red though, must find time to do them again

CharlySkunkweed

Aug 10, 2014
Northern Ireland

my red hammerite came out pretty smooth and glossy ? I brushed mine on , not sure what the rattle can comes out like. I know mine aren't brembo , and had no paint previous , but a wire brush attachment on a drill helps on the larger areas.

You need time though , 4 hours between coats ! I did mine over two nights , so 4 coats. Didn't look smooth until I used a new brush for last (may have been 5th) coat so*if I was doing it again I'd use a new brush for every two coats.

The flash makes them look pinkish , but they are definitely red ! Don't think hammerite do lime green I'm afraid :)

What they looked like before !

Last edited:

supa_sam

Feb 24, 2013
Leeds
Yeah yours look loads better. Maybe I just did a s**ty job.
Want to do them again but living in a city centre I can't exactly leave the car on axel stands overnight whilst the paint dries properly, might have to move house haha!

CharlySkunkweed

Aug 10, 2014
Northern Ireland
Mine was on stands in the garage for a week !

Though the wheels were away and I took the opportunity to paint brakes , fit mudflaps , and fully detail the whole car ! 4 hours between coats is the killer. I was getting home from work and getting dinner so 1st coat was 6ish , so was doing next coat at 10 , and it took a while doing each one so I was having a few late nights :(

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Halfords caliper spray I used drys very quick. You can do the next coat after about 10 mins. I did 3 coats in the space of 30-40 mins so you could easily get them done in a morning. I'd leave it a few days before applying new decals though.

QU4RESMA

Apr 7, 2011
East Midlands
Haha Really?? I think they'd suit the black LCR very well?!
I'm very inclined to try the Lime Green - I've seen some heat resistant paint online - extreme heat, in Lime Green and a few other colours... I may have to try and post some pics!!

If you do decide on lime green you can get black "brembo" decals and it looks GOOD I saw it once with gloss black wheels to match it looked awesome just don't think it would suit a black LCR so I haven't done it!:happy:

QU4RESMA

Apr 7, 2011
East Midlands
Halfords caliper spray I used drys very quick. You can do the next coat after about 10 mins. I did 3 coats in the space of 30-40 mins so you could easily get them done in a morning. I'd leave it a few days before applying new decals though.

Was one can enough??
I need to scrub them down hard with sand paper etc... then prime and respray/brush...
I'd need half a day quite easily!

QU4RESMA

Apr 7, 2011
East Midlands

my red hammerite came out pretty smooth and glossy ? I brushed mine on , not sure what the rattle can comes out like. I know mine aren't brembo , and had no paint previous , but a wire brush attachment on a drill helps on the larger areas.

You need time though , 4 hours between coats ! I did mine over two nights , so 4 coats. Didn't look smooth until I used a new brush for last (may have been 5th) coat so*if I was doing it again I'd use a new brush for every two coats.

The flash makes them look pinkish , but they are definitely red ! Don't think hammerite do lime green I'm afraid :)

What they looked like before !

That's quite a transformation!! They dont look Pink when they're behind the gloss black alloys so it's all good :) I am liking that!

QU4RESMA

Apr 7, 2011
East Midlands
I took the plunge and reprinted them yellow,
I used hammerite which was ok but hasn't lasted as long as I hoped it would
Plus it isn't that glossy, better than the red though, must find time to do them again

Did you use enough coats? Lacquer needed? I hear the Halfords spray cans dont need Lacquer over the paint...

endoftheworld

Aug 31, 2014
Wales
Planning to sand them down - will need to sand them down quite a bit to rid of all the paint lumps and the poor effort of lacquer that's been applied

A needle scaler does this job very nicely, you could also remove the rubbers and soak it in white spirit.

Acetone would take it off in seconds, but stay clear of the fumes it's horrible stuff.

Sprogpole

Jul 20, 2012
Leicester
Won't brake fluid strip the paint off? Surley then you know it's safe to use on brake parts?
Just don't spill any when you bleed your nice new paint job

QU4RESMA

Apr 7, 2011
East Midlands
Won't brake fluid strip the paint off? Surley then you know it's safe to use on brake parts?
Just don't spill any when you bleed your nice new paint job

Thanks lads! I'll be giving this a go early next week when i'm back from my hols!

Will defo give the needle scaler a chance to prove itself! I dont think sanding alone will do the job!

supa_sam

Feb 24, 2013
Leeds
Haha didn't even twig!
I will blame my left handedness for that!
Still I've been posting pics since last May and only one guy noticed - kudos friend

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.