Car Does Not Move, Gears Flashing with Spanner

alexsingh42

Mar 31, 2024
Hi all,

My 2011 Seat Ibiza Bocanegra has stopped moving since this morning. The car starts fine and selector moves to the different gears (P, N, R, D, S).
The car moves very slightly then stops and flashes the Gear with a Spanner Icon.
Scanned via OBD and fault code shows "P073A - Stuck in Gear 5" and "P073B - Stuck in Gear 6" and when scanning modules, it shows "Cannot Connect" to ABS and Transmission modules.

Any idea what has happened or what could have caused this?

I have noticed the oil pressure light comes on (flashes) so not sure if this is related...

Thank you!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi all,

My 2011 Seat Ibiza Bocanegra has stopped moving since this morning. The car starts fine and selector moves to the different gears (P, N, R, D, S).
The car moves very slightly then stops and flashes the Gear with a Spanner Icon.
Scanned via OBD and fault code shows "P073A - Stuck in Gear 5" and "P073B - Stuck in Gear 6" and when scanning modules, it shows "Cannot Connect" to ABS and Transmission modules.

Any idea what has happened or what could have caused this?

I have noticed the oil pressure light comes on (flashes) so not sure if this is related...

Thank you!
Weird one, as if it can't communcate with the transmission, then not sure how it knows it's stuck in gear?

Could be an electrical problem with the transmission module, the CANBUS network, or an Internal gearbox fault mate. I would check all the fuses are ok, but other than that you'll probably have to get it towed to a suitable garage with the front wheels raised off the ground. Trying to move it under it's own power or trying to tow it with the driven wheels on the floor, could cause serious damage to the gearbox, clutch pack etc.

I suspect the oil pressure light may be because the engine is almost stalling with the car being stuck in high gear. Is it only flashing when the car is attempting to move? If so then my theory is probabaly right and it's most likely related to the gearbox issue, but if not then better safe than sorry with that too, don't run the engine. Even 5 or 10 secs without oil pressure can cause irrepairable damage to an engine.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexsingh42

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
I had this when my mechatronics unit had low pressure. Unsure why you’re getting the pressure warning but the other symptoms are normally signs the mech needs repairing

equally as above canbus can cause numerous spurious issues if just one fault & low voltage

Reactions: alexsingh42

alexsingh42

Mar 31, 2024
Thanks for the replies!

@mty12345 Checked all fuses relating to transmission/gearbox but they're all fine. Will check any CANBUS related ones.
Also the oil pressure light turns on when engine has ran for 15-20secs.

@Kryton what was the issue with the mechatronics that you had faced? Was it a replacement or just internal repair on it?

thanks

Reactions: mty12345

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
Valve or pump needed replacing as it had lost pressure. You can pull this data from vcds to see if it’s at the point of needing changing before you pull it apart. I paid someone to come do it as work ridiculous hours so false economy to try & tackle myself

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Thanks for the replies!

@mty12345 Checked all fuses relating to transmission/gearbox but they're all fine. Will check any CANBUS related ones.
Also the oil pressure light turns on when engine has ran for 15-20secs.
Yeah i'd be concerned at that. Probably worth dropping the sump and checking the pick up pipe when you're sorting the gearbox. I take it the oil level is correct?

alexsingh42

Mar 31, 2024
Valve or pump needed replacing as it had lost pressure. You can pull this data from vcds to see if it’s at the point of needing changing before you pull it apart. I paid someone to come do it as work ridiculous hours so false economy to try & tackle myself
Okay thanks for the heads up will try give it a go and see what the data shows

alexsingh42

Mar 31, 2024
Yeah i'd be concerned at that. Probably worth dropping the sump and checking the pick up pipe when you're sorting the gearbox. I take it the oil level is correct?
Oil level is bang on, checked multiple times since this issue occurred.
Just trying to track this oil pressure issue so hoping its just the sensor otherwise it won't hurt dropping the sump like you mentioned to check internals of that. Bit of a process of elimination at this point as OBD scan doesn't pin point it

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Oil level is bang on, checked multiple times since this issue occurred.
Just trying to track this oil pressure issue so hoping its just the sensor otherwise it won't hurt dropping the sump like you mentioned to check internals of that. Bit of a process of elimination at this point as OBD scan doesn't pin point it

Just thinking out loud here, but is there any chance that the Oil pressure sensor, ABS module and gear box module all share a common ground connection? If all these issues happened at exactly the same time, then that would be the only way i could see them all being related. Might be worth checking the engine and gearbox ground straps are ok, or looking at a wiring diagram and seeing if the mechatronics and oil sensor share a common ground.

alexsingh42

Mar 31, 2024
Just thinking out loud here, but is there any chance that the Oil pressure sensor, ABS module and gear box module all share a common ground connection? If all these issues happened at exactly the same time, then that would be the only way i could see them all being related. Might be worth checking the engine and gearbox ground straps are ok, or looking at a wiring diagram and seeing if the mechatronics and oil sensor share a common ground.
That's a great point @mty12345 ! Im going to get back underneath and see if I can work this problem out so will keep that in mind. Until then I'll keep trying to make sense of wiring diagrams 😂🤦‍♂️

Reactions: mty12345
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.