changing front brake pads help please

Apr 27, 2008
hi all, me and my mate was doing a service to my car last night but when it came round to fitting my new brake pads and disc's, we couldn't get the pins out of the calipers to get the pads out. can anyone help us out and does anyone no how much 4 new pins would be?

its a tdi cupra so iv got 4 pot AP racing brakes

cheers

ss55eat

Nov 28, 2008
I cleaned the pins up with a toothbrush and WD40, used a punch with a hollow end to get the pins moving, and then tapped them through with a length of thin steel rod. They are notorious for sticking in place. Fitting kit (consisting of 4 pins and 2 anti rattle springs) was about £50 (bargain!) from Dave at Sere Motors. Some people have got them direct from AP dealers; I think they are something like £2 each. Have a look on the MK4 FAQ section; there is a good thread on there with all the part numbers etc.

The 2 metal tubes across the front of the caliper also normally come off to change the pads. In my case one bolt was seized to the inside of the tube. Rather than cut it out I just took the caliper off and fitted the pads from the back rather than the front.

Apr 27, 2008
how did you get them for free?

me mates whos a mechanic, rang up the place were he gets his bit from and the kit ws going to be £72 :ban: a said no of course. i got a price from sere motors of £55.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.