Cheap machine polisher?

caveo

Can anyone recamend a good machine polisher and pads etc for around 100 quid. The summers coming and its time for some tlc.

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
I had an RAC one for Xmas,around £30 from Halfords,i thought it would be crap,but it does do a lovely job

jamiebennett81

I had an RAC one for Xmas,around £30 from Halfords,i thought it would be crap,but it does do a lovely job

really?

I have always heard that those are just plain awful and never generate enough power to properly detail a car?

caveo

its a 2001 black leon cupra with alot of paint swirls, chips and one big fat go faster scratch down 1 side.

jamiebennett81

just read some reviews on that RAC polisher.....

good for spreading polish on the car and large panels, but thats it! Dont expect it to be removing any swirl or cob web type marks as the motor is too weak, especially when slightly pressed a bit harder

get what you pay for really

caveo

yep the megs one looks like the way to go , as soon as the sun gets his hat on. ( hip hip hip hurray)

Rubbish Boy

If you want a machine capable of doing proper correction work for less then £100 there is an option. However before I say what it is, I'm going to make it clear that this machine will take more practice and skill to use than say a PC, UDM or Megs G220. It will have the potential to do a lot of damage to your paint if not used with respect, but with lots of practice it is very powerful and will yield excellent results much quicker than the affore mentioned DA machines.

So yes it is a cheaper option as far as money goes, but it is a more expensive option as far as time goes as it will take longer to learn and to get to grips with.

Okay this is the polisher:
http://www.kingdomtools.co.uk/power_tools/Polishers__PL_368.html
The orange one is the one I'm talking about.

These pads and backing plate will work well:
Extra Soft Backing Plate
Polishing Pad
Finishing Pad

The extra soft backing plate helps stop buffer hop, making the machine easier to control, and allows the pads to flex over edges and curves lessening the likelyhood of damage in those areas.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Silverline do one cheap

seems ok but then obly used it twice and put it back in the box :)

jamiebennett81

end of the day you get what you pay for

if the cheaper ones were any good, then surely all the professional detailers would be using them right?

hence you never see a professional detailer using cheap products

caveo

mmmm!? alot to think about.it comes down to wanting to remove the swirls and getting a deep shine.

jamiebennett81

mmmm!? alot to think about.it comes down to wanting to remove the swirls and getting a deep shine.

end of the day, if you want the best, or the best result and shine from your car then you have to pay

buy cheap buy twice....in this case, buy cheap be cleaning it twice!

I would never scrimp or save on cleaning products for my car, because from years ago, before I really even knew anything about detailing, I bought halfords/cheap products and the finish was poor in comparison to using high end detailing products that I use today

if you want the best, and as I understand you do, then there is no magic answer, other than coughing up the money for decent products:)

caveo

iv done the same, bought cheap and now i will only use megs , i realy thought only the pads and product made the differance thats why i asked for a cheap polisher,but it seems that megs do the complete package which will be mine very soon.
Thanks alot guys

jamiebennett81

iv done the same, bought cheap and now i will only use megs , i realy thought only the pads and product made the differance thats why i asked for a cheap polisher,but it seems that megs do the complete package which will be mine very soon.
Thanks alot guys

good stuff, sounds like you got the same pacakge as me

let me know how you get on

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members