Clicking / grinding when turning

rubeck1s

Jul 15, 2022
My formentor started making a faint grinding/mechanical sound when turning the wheel at at least 80-100%

I thought it was snow under the tires at first as the first snow fell on the same day it started happening however, it seems to grind when dry too.

For reference, it is a 310bhp one with about 3500 miles on. It is going to the dealer next week for some other work to be done, so will surely get it looked at but just interesting to see whether it is something dumb/easy to fix or if I should be looking to get a replacement car for the time being lol

Reactions: Karbonfaiba

Fuskeduske

Feb 7, 2022
My leon mk4 does the same, i've been told it's by design ( not by design, but you know... ) They can apparantly oil some stuff that i don't bother translate into english ( I only know the danish words ), but the problem will come back at some point

rubeck1s

Jul 15, 2022
My leon mk4 does the same, i've been told it's by design ( not by design, but you know... ) They can apparantly oil some stuff that i don't bother translate into english ( I only know the danish words ), but the problem will come back at some point
Sounds like the usual excuse the dealers use - 'by design' but I bet if you tested 10 other formentors that are sat on their forecourt none of them would make sound lol

By looking up some youtube videos, the closest sound is CV joint issues. Driving around with a clicking sound is just not good enough for me - would have bought a dacia if I wanted a 'passable' quality:mad:

Reactions: martin j.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
What's the word? Haha

Vissa

Aug 25, 2022
Hellevoetsluis
This is 100% normal. It will occur when you (almost) fully turn and drive off. Especially during colder periods.

It's the sperdiff working. Seriously nothing to worry about. All my previous hot hatches equiped with diffs did the same.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
This is 100% normal. It will occur when you (almost) fully turn and drive off. Especially during colder periods.

It's the sperdiff working. Seriously nothing to worry about. All my previous hot hatches equiped with diffs did the same.
Yep my Leon Cupra 280 did it too, and I had it near 8 years with no probs either.

Reactions: Vissa
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.