Clunk Sound

Oct 11, 2023
Hi all,

I have a 2016 Seat Ibiza. I’ve noticed recently that when releasing the hand brake and driving off (only from slight incline on driveway) there is a loud clunk from rear drivers side & then goes away. It only makes that noise when car has been parked for a little while and is cold and like I say only on the slight incline of my drive. No issue on level ground or whilst driving generally.

anyone know what it could be?

thanks in advance!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It will just be the rear brake pads or rear brake shoes gripping against the rear brake disc or rear brake drums.

I'd guess that your car has rear drum brakes, and if so, you should service your brakes or get someone to service them, typically braking servicing is a "extra cost" option during normal car servicing and tends to be ignored until something like this starts to happen.

Even if you have rear disc brakes they also need regular servicing.

The root cause of this will be moisture within the drum or on the disc, causing the brake shoe or brake pad to get "fixed" to the drum or disc by slight rusting taking place. Making sure that the brakes are cleaned out/up does reduce this.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.