Correct and best oil for Cupra R?

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
If you intend to really thash the life out of your car on trackdays etc then Mobil 1 15W50 may be best, but the high low temp viscosity means that you must take it VERY gently until the car warms up, in fact they advise that you let the engine idle for 2 minute before you even set off and then drive gently until it fully warms up... I guess thats why they say its for motorsport use.

0W40 should be fine though, providing you change it fairly regularly.

Cheers
ben

Snoopy

Apr 24, 2002
Durham, England.
I was always told my mecanics and different manufacturers that its a real bad idea to use fully synth in turbo cars especially mobil one.
I know Subaru & fiat say not to on there turbo models as its too thin and does not cool the engine or give enough lubrication especially for cooling the turbo itself. I know loads of people that have had real wair problems with fiat turbos because the oil was too thin.

vibrio

POAH
May 10, 2002
Glasgow
www.poah.co.uk
the 0w40 is far too thin for turbos they will just burn it. the 15w50 is what most of the PuntoGT owners use or castrol RS10w60. if your in a cold country then the 0w40 would be ok because of the cold temps making the oil thicker. impreza's use 5w30 I think.

FinCupra

Sep 6, 2002
Fun..erm..Finland
Visit site
Originally posted by vibrio
the 0w40 is far too thin for turbos they will just burn it. the 15w50 is what most of the PuntoGT owners use or castrol RS10w60. if your in a cold country then the 0w40 would be ok because of the cold temps making the oil thicker. impreza's use 5w30 I think.

Manual suggests 5W-40..

FinCupra

Sep 6, 2002
Fun..erm..Finland
Visit site
I get a big discount on Motul oils.. so I think I'll stick to them, they also have 100% Synthetic & Ester based oils also available in case I want to do track :D Motul has always been usually used in Racing

Marc

RRRaring to go
Sep 16, 2002
Nottingham
Visit site
Ive just been told that for my 1000 mile oil change I should get 10W40 semi synthetic oil.

Apparently the oil that is in when it is built is called Quantum :confused:

I have never heard of it, has anyone else???

Does anyone know a decent 10W40 semi synthetic oil?

Ta in advance

:cheers:

Marc

Robby

Oct 7, 2002
Originally posted by Marc
Ive just been told that for my 1000 mile oil change I should get 10W40 semi synthetic oil.

1000 mile oil change? Does this apply to Cupra's aswell as Cupra R's? Did not see any reference to it in the manual, and was told 10,000 is the next service.

:confused:

LEO LION R

if you need to ask . . .
Mar 25, 2002
on the edge
Well my dealers just told me they use Castrol GTX 10W40 semi synthetic, and i can quite safely bet now that it isn't Magnatex.

Marc

RRRaring to go
Sep 16, 2002
Nottingham
Visit site
Originally posted by LEO LION R

maybe he means 10k service and not 1k ?

No I did mean 1k service.

I am paranoid about my R and have heard that having an oil change after 1000 (1k) miles is a good idea to get rid of the inital cr4p that is in the engine.

Alot of manafacturers recommend it, and after talking to my dealer he agreed and said it is a good idea.

Marc

prc

Sooty Meister
Originally posted by FinCupra
I get a big discount on Motul oils.. so I think I'll stick to them, they also have 100% Synthetic & Ester based oils also available in case I want to do track :D Motul has always been usually used in Racing

I'm not sure what weight you should use, but the Motul oils are very good. I've used/am using Motul. The golf & ibiza both did over 220000km on Motul (6100). My toledo is also using it, but its only got 95000 on the odo;)

LEO LION R

if you need to ask . . .
Mar 25, 2002
on the edge

I am paranoid about my R and have heard that having an oil change after 1000 (1k) miles is a good idea to get rid of the inital cr4p that is in the engine.

Alot of manafacturers recommend it, and after talking to my dealer he agreed and said it is a good idea.

Marc

Maybe cos your paying them for it, if it was supposed to be done then there would be advise on it in the handbook. Others (experienced in this stuff on here) say it has more chance of damaging the engine if changed early on the first lot, as the engine hasn't fully bedded in, and the cr4p helps do this.

If it was to be changed then they would also have put in a really thin mineral oil for that purpose.

What are they going to put in it ?

I'm paranoid too about mine (still no whirry noise - been told it doesn't need replaced according to chasis number, but as others have it and i don't i think something may still be wrong.)

FinCupra

Sep 6, 2002
Fun..erm..Finland
Visit site

Marc

I will run in my engine sweetly until 2000km, at that point new Motul's in. :)

Marc

RRRaring to go
Sep 16, 2002
Nottingham
Visit site
Originally posted by LEO LION R

What are they going to put in it ?

I have been told to get 10W40 semi synthetic oil (I get free oil from my company) for them to put in.

I would have done the oil change myself but has anybody seen where the oil filter is !!!!!!!

Would need babys hands to get in there :) :(

Anyway I am having second thoughts now you mention about the engine needing to bed in with the same oil :(

Is this the general consensis ???

Marc

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise