Cupra 280 Insurance

Deleted member 103408

There's no doubt I'm getting a Cupra, definitely not going for an FR! I just wish I didn't have the ball ache of waiting around until July!

On the plus side, I can save more money and the prices of used 280/290's will continue to fall.
There's manual 280's with less than 20k miles on a 14/64 plate going for £16k-ish now.
Check out the DSG cars as well as you get the power and lots of different performance settings. Also read some of the threads on new tires as the cupra suffers with wheel hop on worn or cheep tires. Finally make sure you have a custom budget as you will want to do stuff to make it even better (but its worth it)

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
Check out the DSG cars as well as you get the power and lots of different performance settings. Also read some of the threads on new tires as the cupra suffers with wheel hop on worn or cheep tires. Finally make sure you have a custom budget as you will want to do stuff to make it even better (but its worth it)

I test drove a 5dr DSG 280 and the it was my first experience of the DSG box, it was impressive but slightly laggy compared to what I was expecting, then again my expectations were high!

I would prefer a DSG, I was initially skeptical of its reliability but after doing a fair bit of reading over the last month or so I'm no longer so skeptical!

And yeah that's definitely something I've budgeted for (tyres and exhaust further down the line), I've spent more time on the Leon mk3 threads than the Ibiza mk5 threads since joining haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

I like the DSG and the 6 speed on the 2014 car allows you to upgrade engine power with no changes needed. Re laggy put it in sport mode and i like using the paddles. Use the Eco setting only when trying to improve fuel economy

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
There's no doubt I'm getting a Cupra, definitely not going for an FR! I just wish I didn't have the ball ache of waiting around until July!

On the plus side, I can save more money and the prices of used 280/290's will continue to fall.
There's manual 280's with less than 20k miles on a 14/64 plate going for £16k-ish now.

It's sick how fast they devalue. Paid for a used FR184 '63 around 14 last year and now I could almost have a Cupra for this much..shocking

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
It's sick how fast they devalue. Paid for a used FR184 '63 around 14 last year and now I could almost have a Cupra for this much..shocking

Yeah it's mad, I remember looking at used 280's with similar mileage about 9 months ago and the cheapest was 18/19k

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
I also had a similar problem to you when I got the Cupra. I only had 2/3 months left on the existing policy (Leon 1.2tsi) and the insurance company didn't want to insure the car. I had no choice but to lose that years NCB and get a completely new policy. I got a quotes from other insurance companies which was over 3k for the year but then I chose to use Admiral multi car with 3 other family cars and worked out about £500each. For a 22year old with only 1 year NCB it's not too bad I think (especially on a Cupra)

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
I also had a similar problem to you when I got the Cupra. I only had 2/3 months left on the existing policy (Leon 1.2tsi) and the insurance company didn't want to insure the car. I had no choice but to lose that years NCB and get a completely new policy. I got a quotes from other insurance companies which was over 3k for the year but then I chose to use Admiral multi car with 3 other family cars and worked out about £500each. For a 22year old with only 1 year NCB it's not too bad I think (especially on a Cupra)

Ahh interesting, thanks for the response. I know that my mum and dad had multi-car (before I could drive), I could ask them whether they'd be willing to consider it as I don't think their policies expire any time soon :shrug:

MEZ44

Aug 7, 2016
No, I clarified that with them. Each car has an individual policy within the multi car policy (no. Of drivers, policy holder for car and excess etc).

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Keep your insurance for your no claims for sure. My first ever policy at 18 cost me £3200 pa on a 1.2 punto so count your self lucky. My cupra 290 costs for me and my partner £500 pa at 26 years of age

Deleted member 103408

Dont worry when you hit 50 insurance drops in price a lot. However when we hit 70 goes the otherway. It cost me 30 odd quid to upgrade after stage 1 fitted

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
What bhp on stage one though, or map

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
Nice I managed 382 on my Revo. It was pumping 302 on stock though

Deleted member 103408

One day i will get rolling road done as the 370 is revo figure and lots of people seem to get more. All i can say is its great fun to push hard

WhenImAlone

Feb 23, 2017
Maybe a little late to the party here, but I went through a similar situation this past month and maybe could help you out.

Changed to a 280 Cupra, insurance prices were at the £1,000 mark (been driving over 2 years but only 1 year NCB with a company vehicle) but the same insurance company wouldn't honour that price mid-way through another policy (they quoted me a price of £1,600 EXTRA on the money I'd already spent to insure it!).

In the end, got my missus to insure it in her name and it went down to £800 p/a which is pretty unbelievable since it's almost 300bhp.

So, my main advice is, if you have a girlfriend and you feel secure with it, ask if she'll be the main driver and it no doubt will come back cheaper than doing it yourself. If no to any of those things, see your year out, get your NCB, and the insurance will be cheaper for it.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Maybe a little late to the party here, but I went through a similar situation this past month and maybe could help you out.

Changed to a 280 Cupra, insurance prices were at the £1,000 mark (been driving over 2 years but only 1 year NCB with a company vehicle) but the same insurance company wouldn't honour that price mid-way through another policy (they quoted me a price of £1,600 EXTRA on the money I'd already spent to insure it!).

In the end, got my missus to insure it in her name and it went down to £800 p/a which is pretty unbelievable since it's almost 300bhp.

So, my main advice is, if you have a girlfriend and you feel secure with it, ask if she'll be the main driver and it no doubt will come back cheaper than doing it yourself. If no to any of those things, see your year out, get your NCB, and the insurance will be cheaper for it.

Don't forget that if your partner is down as the main driver (with you named) to reduce the price, but you drive it as your daily - this is insurance fraud and called 'fronting'...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.