Cupra 300 neglected oil change

Ken Adams

Apr 13, 2023
Hello guys,

Recently I imported 2017 Leon Cupra 300 CJXC which was supposed to be "flawless and well maintained" from a mechanic in Germany with 107k km (66k miles).
He mentioned that the car needed oil service so we agreed on a lower price. I'm pretty sure the listing said the oil has been changed every 15k km (9.3k miles).

I was absolutely shocked when I realized yesterday the last oil change was done almost 20K miles ago. During the inspection car looked super clean, engine bay was a little bit dusty, oil was full and car ran smoothly during few test drives. No errors on diag. I know it's my own fault but It didn't look like the oil change was neglected.

Since the purchase the car was not driven much, only from the seller back to my country (around 600 miles).

I'm super stressed that the engine might have some serious issues due to this. I'm going to change the oil at least two times during the weekend. Can I use some engine flush product from Liqui Moly for example to get rid of the sludge that might be in the engine?

Thank you.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
The engine runs on Longlife III oil from the factory with 18.3k mile variable service set up as the default and should be run on higher octane fuels (which ordinarily have more detergents in them); personally, if the car is standard tune then I wouldn't be too worried.

I also wouldn't use an engine flush or fuel injector cleaner either - highly unlikely to be any sludge.

If you are that worried about the oil, change it with the new filter, run for a few thousand miles before dropping it again.

In the dealers, they suck the oil out rather than dropping it too; so what - this rarely removes all of the residual oil anyway!

Edit: I'd be more worried that the diff or Haldex service (2WD or 4WD) and DSG service had been completed.

Reactions: mty12345

Ken Adams

Apr 13, 2023
Thank you for your reply.

It seems like the DSG oil has been changed but I'm not sure about the diff oil.
Just to be sure, I'll do both as soon as possible.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013

This is the oil for the Haldex unit which is used to lock the diff as opposed to the actual oil in the differential - apologies for any confusion.

The workshop manuals are here for reference:

The one titled 'maintenance' has all of the service intervals, including out of phase maintenance.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol

I agree with everything black sheep said. I like to change my oil every 5,000 miles, but what happened to yours is highly unlikely to have caused any damage.

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
TBH 20k kms on modern synthetic oil is only 12400 miles, so pretty average really.
I would not be worried, just change the oil annually from now on.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
TBH 20k kms on modern synthetic oil is only 12400 miles, so pretty average really.
I would not be worried, just change the oil annually from now on.
He's saying it was last changed 20k MILES ago, which is about 30k km, but that still isn't excessive for long life oil. I wouldn't be worried about that at all.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.