Cupra R Fan Issue

Chrismawa

Aug 25, 2021
My slow speed on my fans doesnt seem to be working as when I put on the AC the fans do not spin. The fast speed of the fans is working though. Is there some kind of test I can do running a wire between to points to test if this truly is the resistors inside the fan that's broke?

Thanks.

Chrismawa

Aug 25, 2021
Sorry, more info here:

Thank you, thats interesting.

I think though if it's the fans, I'll just replace them with new from Euro Car Parts, as have seen others have done with success. The car is a toy so does limited mileage, so I'm sure they would be good enough.

Chrismawa

Aug 25, 2021
I've just tested the fan switch plug. Jumping the low speed pin and the fans are dead. Jumping the high speed pin and they work. Does this basically mean the resistors in the fans are broke?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I've just tested the fan switch plug. Jumping the low speed pin and the fans are dead. Jumping the high speed pin and they work. Does this basically mean the resistors in the fans are broke?
Yeah either broken or the connections have failed, either way EuroCarparts replacement is probably the best option.

High speed is basically 'direct drive' so to speak, no resistors used.

Low speed is acheived by diverting the same connection through a couple of large resistors prior to the fan, which has the effect of slowing it down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrismawa

Chrismawa

Aug 25, 2021
Yeah either broken or the connections have failed, either way EuroCarparts replacement is probably the best option.

High speed is basically 'direct drive' so to speak, no resistors used.

Low speed is acheived by diverting the same connection through a couple of large resistors prior to the fan, which has the effect of slowing it down.
Thank you.

Looking on Euro Car Parts they have 2 fans listed, which im presuming is the large and small fan. However the small one states in the description "for without ac". Can anyone confirm these are the correct fans? Pics below of each item.

fan1.JPG

fan2.JPG

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
the common fix for this is to add an external resistor in, i havnt done it, but i have a spare rad/.fan pack here with that fix applied.

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
Thank you.

Looking on Euro Car Parts they have 2 fans listed, which im presuming is the large and small fan. However the small one states in the description "for without ac". Can anyone confirm these are the correct fans? Pics below of each item.

View attachment 32032

View attachment 32033
I assume you fitted fans in the end? Could you confirm the euros part numbers if you still have the paperwork??

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
I was stuck in traffic the other day and noticed the coolant temp rising above normal. I turned ON the A/C and that got the temp back to normal. I just checked the fans just now - with the A/C on it looked like both were runing at LOW speed. With the a/c off no fans were running. could I have a different issue to the usual resister problem?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I was stuck in traffic the other day and noticed the coolant temp rising above normal. I turned ON the A/C and that got the temp back to normal. I just checked the fans just now - with the A/C on it looked like both were runing at LOW speed. With the a/c off no fans were running. could I have a different issue to the usual resister problem?
Sounds like it's something different, as the resistors only work on low speed, so if they fail then low speed doesn't work, and you only get the high speed working when the car gets to 98C

Might be worth replacing the coolant sensor as Alexis said, but the fact that it happened it traffic would make me think the engine was actually getting hot. If it happens again then it may be worth popping the bonnet and checking if the fans are running. There is a thermostatic type switch screwed into the back of the radiator, it's possible that is starting to fail and not telling the fans to switch on early enough.

Reactions: g60stu
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.