cupra R vs vxR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
VXR owners make a big deal of them being 240bhp or thereabouts. Big deal! It could be 340 bhp and it'll still make no difference as it can only hold it through obscene boost levels for about a 100 rpm range. Its a wheezy old 16 valve engine with a turbo and intercooler strapped to it. The VAG 1.8T was designed as a dual aspiration engine from the outset (turbo/normally aspirated).

Peak power means absolutely nothing if you can only hold that power for a very short rev range. Get a standard one on a dyno with an LCR and you'll see it can get nowhere near the nice flat curve of the 1.8T.

DargY

I'd still avoid Vauxhall like the plague. ST or VXR? ST anyday.

Just don't feel like they're made by people that LIKE cars or LIKE driving. Where is the passion? :S Sound like my old art teacher. But seriously, the cars feel dead.

Last time I got a buzz from a Vauxhall was my friends 1.4SRi Nova. And that's a sad day for me, a die-hard Ford fan :<

This is very interesting. The friend who shamoo was referring to was I. The first comment, Not made by people who like driving. Have you not seen the vxr range? You tell someone who has a monaro that Vauxhall don’t like driving and have no passion. If 6.0 v8 isn’t enough then Id hate to see your next car.

2nd comment.
VXR owners make a big deal of them being 240bhp or thereabouts. Big deal! It could be 340 bhp and it'll still make no difference as it can only hold it through obscene boost levels for about a 100 rpm range. Its a wheezy old 16 valve engine with a turbo and intercooler strapped to it. The VAG 1.8T was designed as a dual aspiration engine from the outset (turbo/normally aspirated).

Peak power means absolutely nothing if you can only hold that power for a very short rev range. Get a standard one on a dyno with an LCR and you'll see it can get nowhere near the nice flat curve of the 1.8T.

g43446vxrenginebay1q412kw.jpg

Now I’m pretty sure that’s 300bhp @4700, 361bhp @6000 and 340bhp @7000
And that’s not a smooth power delivery?
Please go to vxr-online and find me where we make a "BIG DEAL" about 240BHP. Comments like that really irritate me.

3rd) Why are you diverting to, what’s better than a vxr. Im sure this thread was about the cupra and vxr. Where did an ST come from?

Admittedly the torque steer was a problem in standard form but have you driven a stage 1......... completely different!

I think cupra's are great cars but you wont find people over at vxr slagging them off, sorry to those thats weren't

Theres always something bigger and better somewhere.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Sorry fella, but as previously mentioned.. the Monaro is a Holden. Not a Vauxhall.. still GM, yes.. but made for a different buyer base. Don't you dare give Vauxhall the credit for the Monaro. Ok? Ta.

I don't think anyone was slagging them off, to to speak -merely chewing the fat. I don't like Vauxhall because their cars feel cheap. In addition to this, I'm sick of seeing hundreds of low-end mods made to 1.2 Corsas. It's left a really bad taste in my mouth that no amount of VXR-brand mouthwash is going to fix.

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
i'm not slagging the VXR off either. i've driven one plenty of times and give it the same level of abuse that i give my LCR. i just wasn't that impressed to tell you the truth, i was expecting a fire breathing monster of a car that would rip my arms from their sockets if i dare to floor it. i suppose i've got the motoring press to blame for that. i'm not a fan of vauxhall at all but i repect them for the fact that they are building the VXR range (or borrowing them from lotus and holden!)

DargY

Sorry fella, but as previously mentioned.. the Monaro is a Holden. Not a Vauxhall.. still GM, yes.. but made for a different buyer base. Don't you dare give Vauxhall the credit for the Monaro. Ok? Ta.

I don't think anyone was slagging them off, to to speak -merely chewing the fat. I don't like Vauxhall because their cars feel cheap. In addition to this, I'm sick of seeing hundreds of low-end mods made to 1.2 Corsas. It's left a really bad taste in my mouth that no amount of VXR-brand mouthwash is going to fix.

Fair comment but, in my opinion, the vxr range are lovely cars.

I agree, 1.2 corsa's etc suck ass imo but these vxr's are totally different and will change Vauxhalls rep

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Hope so :S I just wish they'd stop suggesting I should put the "fun back into driving". I had a lot of fun in my battered 20 year old XR2.. but I went to sleep in a Corsa.

Do Vauxhall drivers head off to the dentist for an adrenaline fix or something? :S

DargY, I will agree though -despite my less-than-fond outlook on Vauxhalls, I find the VXRs much harder to dislike. The Vectra VXR held it's own against the STi and an Evo, from what I recall reading in Evo magazine. That's impressive by anyones standards, let alone Vauxhall.

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
ha ha :) fair comment (its audi actually) most if not all car makers use parts from other models these days ford/volvo/mazda and the vag group for example. vauxhall couldn't be bothered so took the complete car instead! :D

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Heheh. Humourous few posts there :p

I think I'd rather entrust my engine to Audi than Vauxhall, though :S

That said, it's true. Anyone seen the Mazda 121? Fiesta mk4 anyone? :S That's horrific example of borrowing engine, body and interior :S

DargY

Heheh. Humourous few posts there :p

I think I'd rather entrust my engine to Audi than Vauxhall, though :S

:S

Ahhhhhhh you say that now, but when the vxr range take off and get more reliability and coverage you may want to get a Vauxhall. :D

reedbradshaw

Spireite till i die
Oct 6, 2006
chesterfield
id bet you would swap a mk 1 banger leon for a vxr so stop moanin about other peeps cars all time,

my dads vxr is well smart, and i put money it would hold the corners better than any mk1 leon

reedbradshaw

Spireite till i die
Oct 6, 2006
chesterfield
o and vauxhall engines are good my dads other car ( corsa 1.2 hes a drivin instructor ) has done 130 k and has had very little go wrong with it a few sensors ( about 3 ) and thats it, very good engines as you would expect from vauxhall granted audi n vw etc kick ass but dont make vauxhall out to be a fiat

Myles

Jun 22, 2004
Carterton, Oxon
id bet you would swap a mk 1 banger leon for a vxr so stop moanin about other peeps cars all time,

my dads vxr is well smart, and i put money it would hold the corners better than any mk1 leon

Thats a bit of a challenge. I can think of a few Mk1 Leons on here that would out-drag, out-corner and out bling a VXR. As per usual Vauxhall make a shape so 'now' that it looks like old bean tins in 2 years time. Calibra come to mind anyone? Lets face it, nice idea, but usual fall-apart, cheap, jap plastic Vauxhall. A real turd in wolfs clothing.

DargY

Thats a bit of a challenge. I can think of a few Mk1 Leons on here that would out-drag, out-corner and out bling a VXR. As per usual Vauxhall make a shape so 'now' that it looks like old bean tins in 2 years time. Calibra come to mind anyone? Lets face it, nice idea, but usual fall-apart, cheap, jap plastic Vauxhall. A real turd in wolfs clothing.

LOL there's always one. Now were on about which can drag race better.
Jeeeeeeez

Myles

Jun 22, 2004
Carterton, Oxon
I am not commenting on the 'dragging' capabilities, I am just replying in kind to the guy who said that daddy's VXr would corner better than ANY Mk1 Leon. Thats just plain daft. As for all my other statements, I stand by them, even the turd comment.
I am not a dragstrip type of person by the way. More of a drive to Asda and fill the boot with a months worth of shopping type:)

DargY

I am not commenting on the 'dragging' capabilities, I am just replying in kind to the guy who said that daddy's VXr would corner better than ANY Mk1 Leon. Thats just plain daft. As for all my other statements, I stand by them, even the turd comment.
I am not a dragstrip type of person by the way. More of a drive to Asda and fill the boot with a months worth of shopping type:)

Standard on standard it probably would!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members