Cupra ST tyre suggestions low cabin noise

ArchNemeziz

Jun 9, 2021
I got Continental ContiSportContact 5P on my 19" wheels. The tyres came from the factory.
This is the 2nd season I'm using the summer tyres and the in-cabin noise is a lot higher than I remember it was last year.
Possibly this is from wear as I've read the ContiSportContacts wear faster than most.

What tyres would be equal/better than the ContiSportContacts performance wise but with a lower noise profile in-cabin?
Currently looking at generally good ones but other than the generic tyre noise marker which indicates outside noise I don't have much to go by.
Performance wise Bridgestone Potenza Sport or Pirelli PZ4 seems like a good option but no idea about the noise. Don't want to go buying expensive tyres and end up with the same complaints.

Maybe someone has experience with this and can throw suggestions and ideas.

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
I swapped my tyres for Michelin Pilot Sport 4's (PS4 not PS4S), and they're noticeably quieter than the tyres on the car when I bought it - which was a mismatch of Bridgestone and Avon. Grip is absolutely fantastic too

Were recommended to me on here, well worth the purchase!

Reactions: ArchNemeziz

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I changed the wheels on my car, which gave me the opportunity to ditch the factory fit Bridgestones.

I also went for Michelin PS4 (not PS4S), which IMO are quieter, but more importantly for me, they’re superior in terms of grip compared to the Bridgestones. I used to experience wheel spin and wheel hop with the Bridgestones under normal driving conditions when pulling away from rest at junctions and roundabouts if the road surface was slightly damp. I’m quite a sedate driver - so no traffic light Grand Prix for me - but I just found the Bridgestones lacking in the grip department. I’ve had no issues whatsoever with wheel spin / wheel hop with the PS4’s, and as said above, they’re quieter too.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
PS4S are the go to tyre generally for performance on the Cupra, but are marginally quieter than the Contis (In my experience going from 2,000 mile old 5Ps to brand new PS4S.

My advice would be to invest in some sound deadening materials. I did under my rear seats and full boot and it certainly made an impact. But to get the best result, you need to do around the wheel wells. I didn't bother as it meant taking all the rear plastics out. @paddy6789 did it on his 5 door hatch and said it made a bog difference.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
PS4s are really good but not that quiet. Not terrible but if you want a grippy tyre that's also quiet the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 is noticeably quieter than the PS4.

ArchNemeziz

Jun 9, 2021
Thanks for all the feedback!
From what's in stock right now I think I will go with the Goodyears. Going on a roadtrip to Germany in July so can't wait too long on a choice because of delivery time.
PS4S was my next choice as the PS4 seems a bit short on performance from reviews all round compared to the PS4S or Asymmetric 5.

Thanks for the tip about sound deadening @Damo H
Will be looking into that later on as the Cupra has some noticable noise from wheels. For now I hope to not go mad from driving 5000km in 2 weeks :D

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The Asymmetric 5 is just that bit softer feeling compared to the PS4 or the stock Bridgstones. For a very low profile tyre and firm suspension they make sense. The pressure you run makes a difference too.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Hey quick question I'm about to replace my factory Contis on my stock 19" wheels. Would 245 tyres be fine and if so which dimension.

Stock Contis are 235/35. Will replace with Michelin PS4 or Goodyear Eagle F1 most likely.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Reason I ask for other sizes is because it seems Michelin PS4 doesn't come in 235/35, these are available from my tyre guys at least:

235/40R19 96Y XL
245/45R19 102Y XL

Also looking at these:

Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 5. Sizes:

235/35R19 91Y XL
245/35R19 93Y XL
245/40R19 98Y XL

Which would you go for? Cheers.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Reason I ask for other sizes is because it seems Michelin PS4 doesn't come in 235/35, these are available from my tyre guys at least:

235/40R19 96Y XL
245/45R19 102Y XL

Also looking at these:

Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 5. Sizes:

235/35R19 91Y XL
245/35R19 93Y XL
245/40R19 98Y XL

Which would you go for? Cheers.
On stock suspension 245 will be fine, but at 35 profile not 40 and certainly not 45, as tyres should be in 3% of the OEM size:

From https://tiresize.com/comparison/

1624974512766.png
1624974489807.png

I'm assuming you're wanting the PS4's over the PS4S's for the noise?

You have 4Drive so traction isn't an issue I suppose, but most people go for the more performance orientated tire of the Michelin PS4S or Goodyear Eagle F1 SS these days,

Reactions: Zer0

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Unfortunately my shop doesn't carry neither PS4S nor F1 SS and I prefer to go through them. I'll drop by them and have a chat now that I know more, thanks!

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Unfortunately my shop doesn't carry neither PS4S nor F1 SS and I prefer to go through them. I'll drop by them and have a chat now that I know more, thanks!
I know my comments on your loyalty to your tyre guys are largely irrelevant.

But looking at your sig, if you're talking what is effectively a Stage 1 Cupra 350-370hp with a JB4, my loyalty would be to my car and my own safety first.

If you still want to throw money their way as you trust them fitting the tyres, why not see if you can source the tyres yourself and still pay them to fit them.

Not sure if you're UK based on not, but if you are Camskill, mytyres and BlackCircles can all offer a supply only on both Michelin PS4S and Goodyear Eagle F1 SS.

Reactions: TripleBob

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Any tyre shop can buy tyres in. Any tyre. The places I use never stock the tyres I want but can get them in, usually the next day. If a tyre shop say they don't stock a tyre and want to take an alternative I'd walk away. There is something going on there but good service isn't it.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 is significantly quieter than the PS4. Quieter cruising, less harsh over pot holes and around town, it's just an all round more comfortable tyre.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Any tyre shop can buy tyres in. Any tyre. The places I use never stock the tyres I want but can get them in, usually the next day. If a tyre shop say they don't stock a tyre and want to take an alternative I'd walk away. There is something going on there but good service isn't it.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 is significantly quieter than the PS4. Quieter cruising, less harsh over pot holes and around town, it's just an all round more comfortable tyre.

Cheers, I may go with the Goodyears if they're quieter :)

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
I know my comments on your loyalty to your tyre guys are largely irrelevant.

But looking at your sig, if you're talking what is effectively a Stage 1 Cupra 350-370hp with a JB4, my loyalty would be to my car and my own safety first.

If you still want to throw money their way as you trust them fitting the tyres, why not see if you can source the tyres yourself and still pay them to fit them.

Not sure if you're UK based on not, but if you are Camskill, mytyres and BlackCircles can all offer a supply only on both Michelin PS4S and Goodyear Eagle F1 SS.

We're still talking premium tyres, they're not exactly Linglong and Goodride, I'm sure they're good enough and better than the stock Contis I'm sure. I'll ask them for quotes though.

ArchNemeziz

Jun 9, 2021
Can confirm this monday I got the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 fitted as suggested and it's considerably more comfortable over bumps and is quieter as well compared to my previous factory Contis.
Haven't made it to the highway yet, but in the city the car feels much nicer to drive now and even a friend already commented it's noticably quieter.
Make sure to also get wheel alignment done when you have tyres changed!

Reactions: Zer0

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Can confirm this monday I got the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 fitted as suggested and it's considerably more comfortable over bumps and is quieter as well compared to my previous factory Contis.
Haven't made it to the highway yet, but in the city the car feels much nicer to drive now and even a friend already commented it's noticably quieter.
Make sure to also get wheel alignment done when you have tyres changed!

Did you go for 235/35?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise