Custom roll cage

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Last week myself and a mate started work on a roll cage for my car

I was ready to go buy one or try and find one of the ex rockingham cages (good luck) but he told me he'd be able to build me one, so with that in mind i thought why the hell not.

Work started last saturday after a night on the beer and actually went quiet well with the foot plates and rear hoop being tacked in.

Everything started to go down hill from there with regards to the front part of the cage, being that i wanted to keep the original trim in the car we set about working out angles, lengths and god knows what else to try and get it right.

We finally finished lastnight with the exception of the door bars which im still undecided on and today set about painting it (white of course to match the wheels)

Im happy with the end result, next task is to refit all the trim (including cutting the dash around the cage) and make up some subframes for my new seats when they arrive.

Few pics as it stands now

Picture020.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Last edited:

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
just normal tube in the end with 3mm wall thickness (it should be up to the job)

it's all welded in so don't expect it to come out anytime soon

we also had a fire incident but not fuel lines thankfully :rolleyes:

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
just normal tube in the end with 3mm wall thickness (it should be up to the job)

it's all welded in so don't expect it to come out anytime soon

we also had a fire incident but not fuel lines thankfully :rolleyes:

LOL, what bit did you toast?

42.4 OD tube?

3mm ? they do 4mm stuff you know:)

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
it goes through the dashboard, or atleast it will do when i fit it back in

made from big ass 48.3 od tube, weights a fair bit

the underseal decided it would melt to one of the brake pipe retaining brackets and took the underside with it, fire extinguisher soon sorted it out tho :D

chappersno1

Mar 11, 2007
im lovin the cage.im gana be doin the same to mine soon.fitted a full 6 point cage in my swift gti and i loved it.fust looks awsome.
good wrk.

Mckellar

how good do comp MO's look !
Good work on the cage though, looks a perfect match with the wheels..

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
thanks for the comments guys

i chose the white to match the wheels ;)

it may be ready for the kent meet but i've still got to fit the dash, wiring around the cage, get the recaro's and harnesses sorted and all the interior trim adapted to fit