Wireless charging retrofit - done

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
After the passenger seat belt warning retrofit, my next project was installing the wireless charging using original parts. I bought a new deeper storage box with an opening for the charger, a rubber mat to fit into it, charger retainer bracket, charger itself and a connector, all from my local dealer. My favourite employee from the retrofitter shop who has long years of experience in fitting sound systems in cars started working on it; first removed the climate control panel & the center console trim around the gearlever. Then detached the existing storage box from the trim (which was plastic-welded) and replaced it with the new one. Then he installed a new fuse and pulled wires from it to the charger & also wires from the infotainment unit to charger again, installed the retainer, then console trim back into its place. Final step was placing the rubber mat & charger into their places. I did the coding part myself, tested it using my phone. We finished it without any problem and my beloved FR gained one more feature.

Thanks for reading & cheers.
Serdar
b5a90a4e9c9f9d5aa7ff5b8f5977c6ec.jpg
5455247f28c3d45e719fd47e524002c0.jpg

Sent from my 23013PC75G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Can this be done on a 2009 Leon S?
As long as you could find a place to install it securely & get 12V from a fuse controlled by the ignition accessory or ignition on position, it would work.

But the point in using these specific parts (charger, bracket and storage box) is that they were designed for Leon Mk3, as there's a specific place for them and they would fit in there exactly, like they would be installed in the factory. You just can't get that exact fitment in any other car with these parts.

Reactions: GORDYDJ

Giuseppe Busso

Ioannis
Jan 29, 2021
Greece
After the passenger seat belt warning retrofit, my next project was installing the wireless charging using original parts. I bought a new deeper storage box with an opening for the charger, a rubber mat to fit into it, charger retainer bracket, charger itself and a connector, all from my local dealer. My favourite employee from the retrofitter shop who has long years of experience in fitting sound systems in cars started working on it; first removed the climate control panel & the center console trim around the gearlever. Then detached the existing storage box from the trim (which was plastic-welded) and replaced it with the new one. Then he installed a new fuse and pulled wires from it to the charger & also wires from the infotainment unit to charger again, installed the retainer, then console trim back into its place. Final step was placing the rubber mat & charger into their places. I did the coding part myself, tested it using my phone. We finished it without any problem and my beloved FR gained one more feature.

Thanks for reading & cheers.
Serdar
b5a90a4e9c9f9d5aa7ff5b8f5977c6ec.jpg
5455247f28c3d45e719fd47e524002c0.jpg

Very nice. Could you please give us the OEM parts/codes needed?

Reactions: serdar_18fr

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Very nice. Could you please give us the OEM parts/codes needed?

81A035502 - Charger (This unit is also a GSM signal booster but that requires new antenna at the back)
5F1864089 - Retaining frame
5F1863330B - Rubber mat
4B0971978C - 6-pin connector contact housing (this will plug into the charger, you need to wire cables & terminals into it. Only 4-pins will be used. Some ridges on the connector should be cut out, or it wouldn't fit into the socket)
5F1857974A1QB - Storage box (this is a deeper box with an opening for the charger's top surface, replacing the existing shallow box. It is welded onto the center console trim so a plastic welder machine or a fine drill should be used to remove it and then the new one should be welded in the same place. Careful use of a soldering iron will be alright if you don't have access to a plastic welder.

Wiring diagram:
Yellow/red 0.35 cable from pin 2 to infotainment unit, connector T12d (gray one), pin 5
Yellow/blue 0.35 cable from pin 3 to infotainment unit, connector T12d (gray one), pin 11
Red/blue 0.35 cable from pin 1 to fuse box C, fuse position 16, 7.5A
Brown 0.5 cable from pin 4 to a ground point.

Coding:
Infotainment unit, byte 15, bit 5, activated.